View Poll Results: If you were a bookie, who would you make favourite for the Ice Dance Olympic gold?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Davis & White

155 72.09%
  • Virtue & Moir

58 26.98%
  • Other

2 0.93%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I know all of that. I was just taking issue with the absolute statement.

vCash
    There's a nasty little thread over at GS asking if it's all over for V/M that manages to insult the two every other post, so is that why this one was started - to get it going over here too?

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Exactly. Whoever wins, both couples will go down in history as all time greats. I would like to see D&W win, as that would mean that both couples would retire with at least one Olympic title each.
    Both can come back for 2018 O's and break the tie.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    There's a nasty little thread over at GS asking if it's all over for V/M that manages to insult the two every other post, so is that why this one was started - to get it going over here too?
    Second page and only praise for both teams. Unless I'm missing something.

vCash
    V/M. Mark my words. Scott Moir will begin the whining and ranting about injustices and disrespect right after the GP,F and with Skate Canada politiking them, they will then pull off an "upset" victory a few months later.

vCash
    I think we all know the fix is in. The ISU obviously hates V/M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Second page and only praise for both teams. Unless I'm missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    V/M. Mark my words. Scott Moir will begin the whining and ranting about injustices and disrespect right after the GP,F and with Skate Canada politiking them, they will then pull off an "upset" victory a few months later.
    Didn't take long LOL.

vCash
    I think we all know the fix is in. The ISU obviously hates V/M.
    I wonder how many other team wish they were as hated by the ISU as V/M?

vCash
    This thread isn't asking us to list each team's best qualities. It's asking a simple question: who would you bet on. I firmly believe that V/M won 2012 worlds because of Scott's tantrum/politicking after the GPF. I firmly expect the same tantrum and attempts to plant seeds of doubt about D/W come the end of 2013 when he sees a second Olympic gold slipping away. V/M will go on to win in a nailbiter. I do think D/W are the better team now but I don't see them politicking/whining in the same way.

vCash
    This thread isn't asking us to list each team's best qualities. It's asking a simple question: who would you bet on. I firmly believe that V/M won 2012 worlds because of Scott's tantrum/politicking after the GPF. I firmly expect the same tantrum and attempts to plant seeds of doubt about D/W come the end of 2013 when he sees a second Olympic gold slipping away. V/M will go on to win in a nailbiter. I do think D/W are the better team now but I don't see them politicking/whining in the same way.
    If you can't use any examples on why V/M was overscored or D/W was underscored and shouldn't have lost them levels in World 2012 or 4CC 2012, then yes it is firmly your personal opinion but it is also firmly a baseless one. What exactly did Scott do to politik their way to Gold in Nice? Calling the scores given to them by the judges a "piss off"? That is some quality ass kissing right there.

A team being showered with 10s, level 4s and +3 GOEs competitions after competitions with bobbles and flaws in their element execution, DOESN'T whine and politik? Please tell me more.
    Last edited by walei; 10-25-2013 at 09:37 AM.

vCash

vCash
    they will then pull off an "upset" victory a few months later.
    Er, would it honestly be an upset? Who are Virtue and Moir? Some B team or something?

Anyway, if i were I bookie, I would not place my bet now, at the beginning of the season, considering how previous seasons have unfolded.

vCash

V/m 2nd OGM

Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Didn't take long LOL.
    LOL - yup - perhaps jealousy is the new form of flattery --
    V/M will win as they're the superior team.

vCash
    That is ridiculous. If you think Davis & White were robbed of the 2012 World title by bad judging, that is fine. Some others felt that way too. However to think judges would be bullied or intimidated into giving certain scores by someone whining and griping is ludricious. If anything history shows judges mark you harder when you have dissed them publicly.

vCash
    It's going to come down to performance and the levels each team achieves.

Tessa and Scott cannot bobble on the twizzles. Davis and White cannot lose levels on their step sequences. Things like that.

Right now my money is on Davis and White.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    My heart says Virtue & Moir, but honestly I think it'll be Davis & White

vCash
    I think V & M will give D & W a run for their money, and nothing is for certain until the last note of the music, but D & W seem to have the momentum going although I enjoy both pair of ice dancers. Being from the US I have to clap a little more for D & W. Or maybe alot more!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Both can come back for 2018 O's and break the tie.
    Heh. I think Canada has the upper hand for the team event, though, and if V/M participate, they could have two. So could D/W.

Jiazumi, a bookie is "a person who makes a business of accepting the bets of others on the outcome of sports contests, especially of horse races." It's not limited to sports races (there are organizations in the UK that offer odds on literary prizes, such as the Man Booker Award or the Nobel Prize, for example). In this example, you'd offer short odds on D/W or V/M winning because they are the overwhelming strength (essentially, remember that since the GPF in 2009, they've only lost to each other). People who know the sport would place money on them winning.

As judgejudy said, the V/M and D/W's rise was predicated on a pretty remarkable confluence of events that we simply haven't seen repeated this time. The race for bronze is a legit race, in my mind, with four really strong contenders and a couple more longshots. A bookie would be wiser to offer odds on who wins bronze, simply because it isn't at all clear who will (Bobrova/Soloviev have a slight edge, but it's slight).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    That is ridiculous. If you think Davis & White were robbed of the 2012 World title by bad judging, that is fine. Some others felt that way too. However to think judges would be bullied or intimidated into giving certain scores by someone whining and griping is ludricious. If anything history shows judges mark you harder when you have dissed them publicly.
    Well, whining and grumbling has resulted in an OGM at least once before in the not so distant past...

vCash
    I think this topic but about who you would favor for the bronze if you were a bookie is far more interesting at this point. The way the season is progressing, if I were a bookie I would give Weaver & Poje the best odds for bronze right now, and Cappellini & Lanotte the second best.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast