Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

What is the best figure skating movie?

Is it really The Cutting Edge? I haven't seen it. I have a lot of downtime recently from work, as you can probably tell, so I'm thinking about relaxing by watching a movie about figure skating.

vCash
    We can tell

I don't know if it's the best, but The Cutting Edge is perhaps the one that transcended the most. I mean, it's a pop culture classic.

vCash
    I have a collection of 40+ films with substantial portions of skating. Besides the early Henie films (One in a Million being the best), I love the 1960s German/Austrian films that featured Ina Bauer or Kilius/Baumler, as they all feature substantial sequences from the beautiful Vienna Ice Review shows.

Among films made in the las 25 years, the best for me is On Thin Ice: The Tai Babilonia Story, as it is a realistic and tasteful telling of its subject's fascinating story. I absolutely hate any film that shows competitive (Olympic-style) skating in a darkened arena, with spotlights. I can't get past that basic lie. I know why it is done in recent films -- because they don't have to pay hundreds of extras to portray the audience -- but it is so cheesy and cheap.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I have a collection of 40+ films with substantial portions of skating. Besides the early Henie films (One in a Million being the best), I love the 1960s German/Austrian films that featured Ina Bauer or Kilius/Baumler, as they all feature substantial sequences from the beautiful Vienna Ice Review shows.

Among films made in the las 25 years, the best for me is On Thin Ice: The Tai Babilonia Story, as it is a realistic and tasteful telling of its subject's fascinating story. I absolutely hate any film that shows competitive (Olympic-style) skating in a darkened arena, with spotlights. I can't get past that basic lie. I know why it is done in recent films -- because they don't have to pay hundreds of extras to portray the audience -- but it is so cheesy and cheap.
    All you talking about documentaries? Cause I'm sick of documentaries (I have watched tons and tons of documentaries on Soviet gymnasts/ gymnastics), although I don't mind a campy, cheese-fest Lifetime-esque biopic, like that one where Lindsey Lohan played Elizabeth Taylor-- yeah, I don't mind those at all. lol

vCash
    If The Cutting Edge is considered a classic and considered the best figure skating movie ever made, then skating fans wuz robbed.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    If The Cutting Edge is considered a classic and considered the best figure skating movie ever made, then skating fans wuz robbed.
    lol

There was that great movie Housekeeping, starring Christine Lahti (I believe), which had an ice skating scene in it. Aw hell, close enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Hence the pop-culture bit.

vCash
    Don't judge me...

I'm partial to Ice Princess.
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

vCash
    Blades of Glory is pretty hilarious, IMO.

I haven't seen most other figure skating movies, and don't have much of an interest in watching them, honestly.

vCash
    I did enjoy Blades of Glory-- so did Patrick Chan (in the CBC interview) All others seem to be 'poor girl who is a sweet and talented skater overcomes adversity to defeat rich, bitchy girl who never deserved to win anyway -- AND wins a boy's heart along with the medal.' Very much aimed at a pre-teen audience.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    I did enjoy Blades of Glory-- so did Patrick Chan (in the CBC interview) All others seem to be 'poor girl who is a sweet and talented skater overcomes adversity to defeat rich, bitchy girl who never deserved to win anyway -- AND wins a boy's heart along with the medal.' Very much aimed at a pre-teen audience.
    Oh yeah? Name them.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Adding Ice Castles to the list. I always liked the old version. The newer version with Taylor Firth and Rob Mayes is pretty much okay, too.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffClair1979 View Post
    Don't judge me...

I'm partial to Ice Princess.
    Haha, it's my sentimental favorite too. And hey, it's not like I watch figure skating movies for the realism.

vCash
    These are the only non-documentary (ie. fictional) movies I am aware of with a Figure Skating theme. In no particular order, they range from comedy to drama genre. Many are somewhat cheesy. All do not have a significant amount of skating, since directors and/or producers frown on too much sports alienating (boring) the non-sport audience. Most of these movies have already been mentioned...

The cutting edge (1992 drama)
    The cutting edge II, Going for the gold (2006 drama)
    The cutting edge III, chasing the dream (2008 drama)

Ice castles - original (1978 drama)
    Ice castles - remake (2010 drama)

Ice dreams (2009 drama)
    Ice princess (2005 teen drama)
    Champions, A love story (1979 teen drama)

Go figure (2005 teen over-the-top comedy)
    Blades of glory (2007 comedy)

ETA: Blizzard (2003 Christmas movie)
    Last edited by rvi5; 11-21-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    The cutting edge II, Going for the gold (2006 drama)
    The cutting edge III, chasing the dream (2008 drama)
    My advice would be to stay away from those. I self inflicted on me #2, and casually stumbled on part of #3, and they made me ill.

-- rvi5, thanks a lot for the recap!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post

Go figure (2005 pre-teen over-the-top comedy)
    imdb.com says,

Katelin Kingsford, an Olympic hopeful figure skater wants to train with a Russian figure skating coach. In order to go to the school that Natasha (Russian figure skating coach) is at, Katelin gets a scholarship playing on the girls hockey team.

Damn, I was all excited after the first sentence, until I read the second sentence; and I didn't even care if it was a Disney movie. So is it more hockey or more figure skating?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    The main character is training both Hockey and Figure Skating. However, the movie is mostly focused on the character's growing relationship with the Hockey girls. Kristi Yamaguchi appears briefly at one point during a Figure Skating scene. The main actress reminds me of Reese Witherspoon in both appearance and acting. Try imagining the Legally blonde Elle Woods as the main character, combined with an over-the-top Russian coach, etal. A silly movie in the style of Hillary Duff's Lizzie McGuire TV series.

vCash
    The 1981 James Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only" has a figure skating part in it. Lynn Holly Johnson plays an American Olympic figure skating hopeful being sponsored by the bad guy. She has an Eastern European hard driving coach much in the style of Katarina Witt's coach. It's still my favourite Bond movie.

YEAH!
    vCash
    On Edge was campy fun (you can watch the trailer at IMDB).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast