Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the end of fs

vCash
    That's how the general public DOES think about it. Very few outside of the sport and FSU think about it as athleticism. This is the crux of the challenges of CoP, which is trying to reward more of the technical ability -- even in PCS which has become technical in many ways. Fans can't follow and can't reconcile to what THEY think is artistic which is more about performance ability and emoting. The way the scoring is broken down and read doesn't help fans either. So they don't get it.

Fans want clean skating and 'emoting...performing...beauty' to be the primary drivers of scoring. That was more the case in 6.0. Not so much now and this is making it hard for fans.

vCash
    It is almost as if they should have an "artistic" program and a "technical" program (or contest) worth equal weight and then score them, rather than a short/long program....Or something like that. I do understand that the ideal is to integrate the two, (and this has been done with some elite skaters like Yaugudin, Takehashi etc.), but it is also leading to what RobinA noted about technical dominating the artistic. Robin is right. Someone who landed a 4Lutz-3Toe Combo and stood up for the rest of the routine would probably win, regardless of how "artistic" the rest of their program was. Then you have the other side, people who like the technical side of skating, but just aren't actors/dancers (like myself). I do think that taking the acting/dancing/artistic element away would attract new fans, (and maybe more young boys) to skating. I think this would make it more of a "sport" in the public's eyes. Yes, it would be a "jump & spin" contest, but would that be so bad? Especially if you could keep the artistic as a separate discipline.

Blergh
    vCash
    Nope. Maybe they should have an X-Games version of skating and make it a different sport. However, that should be separate from figure skating as it exists. Artistic Gymnastics (the gymnastics we all know) also includes Trampoline and Tumbling competitions. However, they never suggested getting rid of the more "artistic" aspects of the sport (although the code has done a great job of doing that since 1997). Even if I find gymnastics to be pretty fugly nowadays, at least there's a pretext of artistry.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Wait--it's a library book SALE? Not even in the library? My public library has it under the sports section (#796 point whatever).

If you ask me, this is the end of libraries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    If you ask me, this is the end of libraries.
    Who needs libraries when you have Wikipedia?

Now let's see everyone get up in arms about that comment!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Who needs libraries when you have Wikipedia?
    But...the library is WHERE I use wikipedia...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    But...the library is WHERE I use wikipedia...

Should we take up a collection?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12