Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the end of fs

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash

the end of fs

So it's annual friends of the library sale and off I go. I look in "sport" for figure skating books. None there. "Hmm?" I think. Where could they be. Guess. "Performing Arts." Ruh-roh. If that's indication of how fs is perceived by general public, its the end for fs as sport. Discontinue the tecnicl programs, let everyone skate to music with lyrics, let the audience vote who won. It's all over. The end. Not to mention when a book about Karen Barbour and Nicky Slater sells for more $ than "AYear in Figure Skating" by a fine JOURNALIST it's definitely all over. Ayiyiyi.
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    All the FS books at my city's libraries are in the sport section.

vCash
    Hmmm I think that is what you find most people think about figure skating. They do in Australia. I don't think it proves it is the end of figure skating. I just think it proves that the general public have a certain perception of it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    There are no books about figure skating at my library or any book store I've seen.

vCash
    I used to work in a public library. I managed to get the figure skating books when they were withdrawn from the library. Also one of the them never got returned and had to get marked as lost.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm I think that is what you find most people think about figure skating. They do in Australia. I don't think it proves it is the end of figure skating. I just think it proves that the general public have a certain perception of it.
    I agree with AWilly. Most people especially males, don't think of figures skating as sport. Unfortunately, many don't realise how difficult it is to acquire the blade skills to do what figure skaters do. As my DS said to me, the way figure skating was presented (beautiful costumes, nice music, beautiful girls) create the perception that figure skating is performance arts. And of course, the constant talk about 'feeling' didn't helop either.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't think this is a new attitude.

vCash

It IS a Bit "Artsy"

I never understood why skating, (I am deliberately leaving off "figure"), doesn't have an option that emphasizes jumps and spins in the same manner ice dance emphasizes MITF and "artistry." For example, USFS has done this in the "opposite direction," so to speak, with National Showcase. Skaters who are excellent artists with good MITF skills, (strong edges etc.), but who are weaker in technical elements, (especially jumps), are given the opportunity to compete without needing to do multi-rotational jumps. (I think axel is the highest jump allowed). The emphasis is on the beauty and artistry. I don't understand why we can't do the same for the technical. Maybe a type of jump & spin contest, but one that is an event in it's own right with the same respect other disciplines (dance, free dance, freestyle, etc) are given. I think this would appeal to more boys, (as well as to those of us who do not like the "dance" aspect of figure skating), and would get the "sport" of figure skating recognized as more of a sport, (in the traditional sense). I'm not saying to abandon the artistry all together, just saying to give the "jumpers who can't dance," the same opportunity given to the "dancers who can't jump" (who can choose from dance, free dance, national showcase etc.) Thinking a type of "athletic" track (focusing on only jumps & spins) vs free dance (which is basically the opposite: Focus on MITF/artistry).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8tergirl View Post
    Thinking a type of "athletic" track (focusing on only jumps & spins) vs free dance (which is basically the opposite: Focus on MITF/artistry).
    Isn't this what competitive singles/pairs skating is (vs. show skating)?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    No because even in singles/pairs there is a large emphasis on artistry. Sk8tergirl is saying there should be a high-ranking competition track with a National Championship (not just a fun event in a competition) for jumps only where there is no artistry involved. Imagine the freshness that would come into skating if it was possible for a skater to say "I'm a national champion in jumping." I believe more boys would start skating.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    So it's annual friends of the library sale and off I go. I look in "sport" for figure skating books. None there. "Hmm?" I think. Where could they be. Guess. "Performing Arts." Ruh-roh. If that's indication of how fs is perceived by general public, its the end for fs as sport. Discontinue the tecnicl programs, let everyone skate to music with lyrics, let the audience vote who won. It's all over. The end. Not to mention when a book about Karen Barbour and Nicky Slater sells for more $ than "AYear in Figure Skating" by a fine JOURNALIST it's definitely all over. Ayiyiyi.
    So one library's book sale is the deciding factor in the death of a sport?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Sk8tergirl is saying there should be a high-ranking competition track with a National Championship (not just a fun event in a competition) for jumps only where there is no artistry involved. Imagine the freshness that would come into skating if it was possible for a skater to say "I'm a national champion in jumping." I believe more boys would start skating.
    Exactly! Tests/Competition Items for such a tract could even include "lost" jumps like open axel, tuck axel, one-foot axel, walleys, reverse jumps etc. which are somewhat difficult and rarely seen today (except in ISI). Same for spins. Items like "traveling camels," illusion camels, and um.... Does it even have a name? (At 3:42. Goes up like flying sit, comes down into flying camel.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCFD7hJUXdA

Awesome! I LOVE Phillippe!!! .....And possibly at the highest level, backflips. I realize this move is super dangerous but, the reality is that skaters do them at nationals in exhibition programs.

Tuck Axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKH6IxuZ3sk
    Open Axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkS3ekNRcBA
    Backflips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orbdB3REL6w
    Last edited by sk8tergirl; 10-22-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added more links

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is the fact that I don't go to my local library means that figure skating is officially dead?

Oh wait, I am so busy with figure skating administration that I don't get time to go to the library. Any wonder I didn't realise it was dead already.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes. Well, that and my judgement call. Surely that's all that's necessary
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

vCash
    It is a pretty long bow to try and align classification of skating books in a library book sale to use that as evidence it is the end of a sport. Although I think you will find in the Dewey Decimal Classification System it is still classified as a sport.

vCash
    I'm the most humble person I know also.

vCash
    Lol, this thread is funny, totally different than what I thought it would be.

vCash
    I thought skating was already a jump and spin contest. With difficult but ugly lifts added to dance. That Virtue/Moir free dance I saw yesterday was a showcase of truly hideous lifts which managed to take all the beauty out of the dance. In fact, most of what I saw on the Skate Canada broadcast, with a few exceptions, was difficulty for the sake of difficulty.

I'd rather watch Abbott do his program with doubles than the frantic, but apparently difficult, slop put down by the Japanese guy who came in second. This guy beat Takehashi? Tak must have spent the whole competition on his butt.

vCash
    I don't know what kind of libraries you all frequent, but pretty much all public libraries in the US (and I think much of the rest of the world) use a universal numbering system for organizing non-fiction books by subject. Figure skating comes under 796.9 Winter Sports.

vCash
    You might also want to look under the Biographies section to see if you can find any skaters' biographies/autobiographies. Also, over the years there have been a number of children's books about skating. Fiction about skating is harder to find (and practically impossible to get published, which I know from personal experience), but your library might have an old copy of "Hans Brinker" on the shelves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast