Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracy Wilson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne7 View Post
    I like Tracy. She's very knowledgable & breaks down CoP scoring so viewers can understand it a bit more. And she always points out the positives of each team.
    this ^ ^ ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    So what happens if one of Carol's teams makes it to the Olympics? Having only Kurt doing ice dance commentary isn't ideal.
    I guess she doesn't think any of her teams will make the Olympics!? Gilles/Poirier have the citizenship issue but I would think Ralph/Hill are in the running....I think the 3rd spot for Canadian ice dance is very up for grabs. Or have Ralph/Hill not met the standard score. I don't know.

I will say, I recorded the CBC coverage of Skate America on Saturday as it conflicted with the CTV coverage of Skate Canada. After watching CTV / Tracy, the CBC analysis with Lane was very weak and amateurish. Maybe in time and with training, Lane will improve - but I don't think it will happen in 100 days and in time for the Olympics. If I was the CBC, I'd want the best broadcasting team available for an event as important as the Olympics. Also, I think the ice dance competition for Olympic gold will be so tight between V/M and D/W that the ice dance analysis will need to be top-notch. When it's the Olympic games, doesn't skating viewership expand to include 'the average Joe' who doesn't have the knowledge of a skating fan. With V/M in the running for a second Olympic gold I think the Canadian public will be following, as they will be following all the Canadian athletes. Should V/M not win with no obvious mistakes..I would think the CBC would want a tried and true broadcaster to breakdown the "why's".

vCash
    I liked Lane's commentary. Shrug. If Johnny Weir said something like "bubbly champagne", people would be saying how oh-so irreverent Mr. Weir was. I liked what she had to say about the Shibs and C&L.

That said, Carol Lane has virtually no star power in Canada and am surprised they added her in an Olympic year. In 2010, CTV used Jamie and David for pairs, David and Liz for Men, Victor and Jennifer for Dance, and Jennifer and Liz for Ladies. I think pairing Kurt with S&P for pairs, then Elvis(!) for Men, then Victor for Dance and Jennifer for Ladies would be awesome, awesome, awesome.

I will say that Kurt is a terrific commentator. I love it when he is really enthusiastic about a skater or their performance.

vCash
    Hmm - but Tanith is Canadian - well, dual citizen now, so the US networks have 3 Canadian commentators working for them.
    I think she's made it pretty clear that she's American now in all the ways that count.

Has CBC confirmed Lane for the Olympics or just the pre-season competitions? Kurt alone couldn't possibly be any worse than CTV's crew in Vancouver - Victor Kraatz was really disappointing, especially for someone who is multi-lingual. I think Kurt understands ice dance pretty well but since it's Tracy's forte he didn't offer analysis. I'm sure that he would discuss the finer points with her in advance of any competitions and study up on it. Sometimes it's worse having a third person in the booth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I hope it doesn't sound like I was dissing Carol Lane because I'm sure with time she'd be fine, it's just that I don't agree with having anyone comment who is so closely involved with the competition.
    It's not unheard of with CBC though. Paul Martini was at the commentating booth for CBC while his pair team of Marie-Claude Savard Gagnon and Luc Bradet were competing at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    It's not unheard of with CBC though. Paul Martini was at the commentating booth for CBC while his pair team of Marie-Claude Savard Gagnon and Luc Bradet were competing at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.
    Yes, I remember that. He was careful to declare his relationship with them though and Barb Underhill was there to provide an alternative expert opinion. He did the same when he worked with Browning.

vCash
    Hmm - but Tanith is Canadian - well, dual citizen now, so the US networks have 3 Canadian commentators working for them. I like Tracy. She's very knowledgable & breaks down CoP scoring so viewers can understand it a bit more. And she always points out the positives of each team.
    I would venture to say that many Canadian figure skating fans do not consider Tanith a Canadian any longer. She competed for the U.S. for a number of years, it is now her home and where she is employed.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    On behalf of figure skating fans across America, I would like to offer Scott Hamilton, free of charge, to any country who will take him. Please - before the Olympics - give this grunting dude commentator a new home!
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    I hope it doesn't sound like I was dissing Carol Lane because I'm sure with time she'd be fine, it's just that I don't agree with having anyone comment who is so closely involved with the competition. Tanith Belbin is an example of a commentator who shouldn't be doing ice dance commentary on her lover and his competition. It's a conflict of interest in an altogether too cosy environment.
    I think this is a valid point and I don’t disagree…but it must be difficult to find an analyst who isn't connected to some of the competitors in one way or another - i.e. Tracy works with Orser's skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I liked Lane's commentary. Shrug. If Johnny Weir said something like "bubbly champagne", people would be saying how oh-so irreverent Mr. Weir was. I liked what she had to say about the Shibs and C&L.

That said, Carol Lane has virtually no star power in Canada and am surprised they added her in an Olympic year. In 2010, CTV used Jamie and David for pairs, David and Liz for Men, Victor and Jennifer for Dance, and Jennifer and Liz for Ladies. I think pairing Kurt with S&P for pairs, then Elvis(!) for Men, then Victor for Dance and Jennifer for Ladies would be awesome, awesome, awesome.

I will say that Kurt is a terrific commentator. I love it when he is really enthusiastic about a skater or their performance.
    I agree Lane has no star power & that CTV went for ‘names’ with their 2010 broadcasting team. I really enjoyed David Pelletier in 2010 & actually laughed out loud a few times…how much fun would Kurt & David be for the pairs!? I also thought Jennifer Robinson did an outstanding job & a combo of her and Kurt for men’s and ladies would be very informative. For dance, I would love to see Shae-Lynn Bourne get a shot in the broadcasting booth. On her website there is video of her interviewing Joannie Rochette and it is just charming.

vCash
    I've never understood why people don't want commentators who work with active skaters. I think it's an advantage as they can provide information we wouldn't get otherwise, and it adds to their expertise as they are up to date on what's going on in the sport. (Unlike Scott Hamilton for example who seems very dated). They are professionals who often work with skaters who are competing against each other - I don't see why they can't comment on them as well.
    I'm willing to give Carol Lane a chance for now - we'll see how she progresses through the Grand Prix season.

vCash

Has CBC confirmed Lane for the Olympics or just the pre-season competitions? Kurt alone couldn't possibly be any worse than CTV's crew in Vancouver - Victor Kraatz was really disappointing, especially for someone who is multi-lingual.
    I love Vic but he couldn't have been much worse. The moment that sticks out the most V/M FD, brilliant. There they were Canadians, ready to take gold, first time ever, at home, something Vic and Shae fought to make possible through their careers and....nothing. He didn't say a word through their whole FD and I kept waiting, he's saving it up for the end and....nothing. Rod Black finally broke the silence and I think asked Vic what he thought and he sad something along the lines of 'Can we have 2 gold medals?'(Referencing D/W) WTF? I think that's about all we heard from him. He said more for other teams, but not much. and seemed like he always had to be coaxed by Rod, but I mean it was just very odd. Robinson I had actually forgotten she was there, she didn't say much either, a strange choice. So Vic never again please. He made me feel sorry for Rod Black and I just can't have that.

vCash
    What about Marie-France? She commentates for RDS but SRC will probably be using Alain et al (will SRC be showing the Olympics?). Her English is good. And she has further public goodwill through her BOTB appearances.

But she is coaching...

vCash
    Robinson called V/M's FD "exquisite, just exquisite". I think the entire newbie broadcasting team was told to keep comment to a minimum and they all took it way too seriously!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I've never understood why people don't want commentators who work with active skaters. I think it's an advantage as they can provide information we wouldn't get otherwise, and it adds to their expertise as they are up to date on what's going on in the sport. (Unlike Scott Hamilton for example who seems very dated). They are professionals who often work with skaters who are competing against each other - I don't see why they can't comment on them as well.
    I'm willing to give Carol Lane a chance for now - we'll see how she progresses through the Grand Prix season.
    Big difference between that and what Carol did during the SA Dance. If I had to hear,"And here comes the Quickstep!!" One more time during the SD's... Okay, great, thanks for pointing that out to us Carol. Now how about some info on what to look for during the rest of it? I was not at all impressed w/her "style" during SA and if that's any hint of what's to come in Sochi w/Carol on the team....It won't be pretty I'm afraid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    If I had to hear,"And here comes the Quickstep!!" One more time during the SD's...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Big difference between that and what Carol did during the SA Dance. If I had to hear,"And here comes the Quickstep!!" One more time during the SD's... Okay, great, thanks for pointing that out to us Carol. Now how about some info on what to look for during the rest of it? I was not at all impressed w/her "style" during SA and if that's any hint of what's to come in Sochi w/Carol on the team....It won't be pretty I'm afraid.
    Exactly..I kept waiting for some insight into the finer technical aspects of the dance and then she said something along the lines of **This twizzle is very hard for lady..just close your eyes and think of England** or something like that.

vCash
    I'd love for Jeff Buttle to do some. He's done the live commentary those there in person at some events, and he's also adorable when he interviews. His post LP interview with Chan at Skate Canada was hilarious (though that could also be because Chan was pretty adorable in it too). But Jeff knows about the technical aspects and could explain how skaters are getting certain marks - he was a pro at milking the system, and he choreographs to milk it as well. And he's just a good public speaker as well.

vCash
    I have some huge worries about dance. We really need a knowledgeable person who is very specialized in knowing dance levels. I agree that Tracy is head and shoulders above anyone else but if she is going to be often unavailable for the big events then Canada has to develop at least someone else. Time is a ticking - this Olympics it will be close between 1 & 2 and then 3 - 5 or 6. I, too, remember Victor K. as almost mute. I don't want them to chat all the way through but I want them to be able to make some sense of the results and give an informed opinion. I do like PJ - I know there is a dance judge that often comments on skate buzz who was very good.
    pug lover

vCash
    Marie-France would be excellent, and Jeff Buttle has enough knowledge of dance to be competent to cover that as well as singles skating, IMO.

I think Megan Wing might be good also (just a hunch, no proof).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Marie-France would be excellent, and Jeff Buttle has enough knowledge of dance to be competent to cover that as well as singles skating, IMO.

I think Megan Wing might be good also (just a hunch, no proof).
    Doesn't M-F provide commentary for the Quebec stations?

They should get FEDOR!!!! He's Canadian, he's smokin' hot, and he briefly did ice dance (and choreography). Though he probably wouldn't be able to be impartial because of his mom.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast