Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracy Wilson

vCash
    As a skating fan, I really enjoy Tracy's commentary because I always learn something about figure skating (dance in particular) and don't feel like it's being shoved down my throat. She explains why things are happening, she's objective in how she delivers her message, and that is greatly appreciated especially in a sport that no matter what scoring system is used, is going to have a lot of subjectivity in it. And she's apolitical!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    I hope she's with CTV for Skate Canada next weekend..then back with CBC for Cup of China, as I also miss her expertise & insight. I didn't get much from Lane & expected way more technical commentary considering her level of knowledge.

What network will Wilson be with for olympic coverage I wonder?
    Yes, about Carol Lane, being the technical maven that she is, I hoped she would be more critical of all the pairs. I like her pleasant British voice though (if I were her co-commentator, Kurt, I would ask her to point out at least one thing each couple need to work on for the next competition).

vCash
    I never liked Kurt Browning doing dance commentary though, wish he stopped doing it.

vCash
    I figured Tracey would be commentating for NBC. I was worried about some people understanding Carol's accent but it seems some of the talking is hard to hear in spots due to her not being loud enough. She may want to work on not saying Annar (of Anna and Luca).
    Didn't Kurt just start calling dance last year or so? Which other person used to call it? I can't remember.
    I like that he pointed out a few subtle things about Meryl and Charlie's dance that were easy to miss, such as a
    "Mis-grab" on a spin and some extension problems.

vCash
    Tracy Wilson is far from being biased. She is known for being fair...
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    oh I don't like her so I was hoping she retired. I hate her biased opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    I never liked Kurt Browning doing dance commentary though, wish he stopped doing it.
    I wish he wouldn't comment at all. He always makes everything about him and that irks me. Talk more about the skaters and less about yourself. You've had your time, now it's theirs.

vCash
    So who will be the CBC Sochi figure skating commentating team?

I will watch the Sochi ice dance on NBC for Tracy...again, wasn't blown away by Lane today on CBC. I couldn't hear what she said at the end of Davis & White? I can understand the accent..but the commentary, frankly, just isn't very good...especially with Kurt, who needs someone to keep him under control for lack of a better statement. He really can make some ridiculous comments sometimes.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    So who will be the CBC Sochi figure skating commentating team?

I will watch the Sochi ice dance on NBC for Tracy...again, wasn't blown away by Lane today on CBC. I couldn't hear what she said at the end of Davis & White? I can understand the accent..but the commentary, frankly, just isn't very good...especially with Kurt, who needs someone to keep him under control for lack of a better statement. He really can make some ridiculous comments sometimes.....
    At the end when Kurt mentioned their extension problem? That according to her are "high class" problems, implying he was being nitpicky with them.
    Actually out of the 3, that Brenda Irving is the worst.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Tracy Wilson is a fabulous commentator you guys are so lucky as you can be informed yet educated in an entertaining manner
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Well considering that NBC didn't even SHOW ice dance at Skate America other than Davis/White free dance, she might as well work in Canada.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Just wondering why she is not commentating for CBC this year? Is she working for another network this year? CTV? I miss her...
    Thank you for starting this thread. I am totally that we might not have any (or very little) of who I consider to be the greatest commentator (for any discipline) right now. I just checked the beginning of the NBC coverage to see Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton. And Kurt and Carol for CBC. The best is gone and four of the worst remain. It's like my worst nightmare has come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Maybe she is working for NBC this weekend for SA?
    Last year (and previous years as well, I believe) Tracy did double-duty. She did all of the disciplines for the Canadian network and did dance for the U.S. station. I believe she did the U.S. ice dance commentary live and then did it again to tape for Canadian TV. Which I was 100% happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Rats. Just once I'd like to see Tracy Wilson call the Olympic ice dance competition for CBC. She's wasted on NBC because she becomes so politically careful.
    How so? I didn't find Wilson's coverage for U.S. television to be any different than what she did for Canadian television...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    On the contrary, I have always enjoyed Kurt Browning's commentary.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I hope to see Tracy back for Skate Canada and agree it's disappointing not to see her on CBC...especially now that I've moved back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Last year (and previous years as well, I believe) Tracy did double-duty. She did all of the disciplines for the Canadian network and did dance for the U.S. station. I believe she did the U.S. ice dance commentary live and then did it again to tape for Canadian TV. Which I was 100% happy with.
    Same..why can't she do double duty!!

Obviously the CBC crew, of Browning, Lane & Irving, were in studio, commentating on taped coverage...I was wondering where they get the taped footage from?

Also, how was Lane available on the weekend?? Aren't Ralph/Hill at an international...& Gilles/Poirier skated for the 1st time this season at the Barrie competition. Not to be snarky, but her talents lie in coaching, not in TV.

vCash
    [QUOTE And Kurt and Carol for CBC. The best is gone and four of the worst remain. It's like my worst nightmare has come true.

How so? I didn't find Wilson's coverage for U.S. television to be any different than what she did for Canadian television... [/QUOTE]

On Canadian TV she does a more analytical commentary on all of the performances of the ice dancers. On NBC, I've yet to hear her be critical of American skaters - she takes a cheerleading approach to their performances. I assume she's afraid viewers will take it as criticism not analysis. I've also noticed she holds back on praise for their opponent's skates, probably for the same reason.

I think people are misunderstanding Kurt's job on the CBC - he is there to be the colour commentator not the skating analyst, which is likely why Carol Lane was brought in. He's supposed to be colourful and his turn of phrase can be hilarious. Tracy Wilson is a sports commentator as well as being a skating analyst which is why she doesn't do that, although Kurt can sometimes egg her on a bit - she covered track and field after retiring from skating and probably other sports as well. Kurt's there because of his skating experience so I guess if that bothers you, definitely don't watch him, but all networks follow the same format. I do think Kurt can offer a pretty fair analysis of the skaters because of that experience, particularly on the men. I think he's also excellent on pairs and he's pretty good on ice dance in recognizing performance and skating skills. He has favourite styles of skating which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't find him to play favourites.

vCash
    I love Tracy, she is wonderful, very professional, her voice is also easy to my ears. I don't care about Belbin since she has conflict of interest and overtly cheers on the Canton camp. She works for Marina and dates White, how much more personal conflicts we need for a commentator? I also can't stand her, talked excessively during the program and also tried to give her opinion about the choreography that she would have done differently, etc. Sometimes, "quiet period" is also needed during the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Would really prefer Tanith Belbin as commentator.
    As much as I love Tanith, she's seriously biased in her commentating, as she is an integral member of the Zueva coaching staff-team...much like Bezik was (is?) when she commented on skaters who she choreographed (and said catty things about those who did not employ her).
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    On the contrary, I have always enjoyed Kurt Browning's commentary.
    I do too - I learn a lot listening to him. He's the best I've heard at analyzing jumps, probably because he's the only person currently commentating who's actually done them all and because he tours, performs and works with many of the top skaters he's also familiar with their technique. He often points out difficult or unusual entries or placement on the ice, as well as what could be happening when a skater is having problems. For example, Kurt thought Daisuke Takahashi, who has been struggling with his jumps, wasn't rotating in the air as fast as he normally does.
    He's the first person to point out that Ice Dance isn't his field of expertise but I think he does a very creditable job of calling it and has learned a lot. I also like what he does with pairs - for example pointing out that MT & M's death spiral is more difficult, even though it doesn't look as smooth as others.
    I don't want a commentator who just tells me nice things about everybody - I want an expert who is willing to share their knowledge. Kurt is respectful to all the skaters and his criticism is always constructive. I know the skaters value his opinion and so do I.

vCash
    Well said.

vCash
    Just this last weekend Tracy wilson spent far too much talking about d/w program intentions and not what they were actually doing! Seemed like half of it was "whites playing a woman trying to entertain the king blah blah blah".

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast