Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracy Wilson

vCash
    I love both Kurt and Tracy. I adore Kurt's personality and sense of humour and I feel he calls it as he sees it. He is very knowledgable, understands the pressures of an elite/olympic skater and although I know he is close friends with many of the skaters - I don't get the feeling that plays much of a factor into his analysis of the skate. I know some people think he drops too many names - but he has worked with many of these skaters and (for me) is just sharing interesting tidbits about them. I adore Tracy and think she is by far the best dance analyst. Regardless of the discipline, I feel her comments about areas to improve make a lot of sense and I feel the most educated when she is commentating. The last few years (especially with Virtue and Moir - Davis and White) I feel she holds back and I find it more and more difficult to get what she really thinks. She does walk a tight rope - working with Brian Orser and his skaters who will compete head to head with Patrick and then working on NBC for big events where listeners want to hear her praise Davis and White. In the last few years, I have felt somewhat frustrated by her comments. Consequently, I listen to PJ if I have her as a choice. I used to switch back to the main network for the last flights but now I just stay with PJ - for me she is knowledgeable and honest and seems to just want the best to win.
    pug lover

vCash
    I love Kurt's commentary, and don't mind if he puts his foot in his mouth once in a while. He's honest and as others have pointed out, he has intimate knowledge from skating with a lot of these kids. For instance, he talked about doing footwork with Kozuka and how he couldn't find a step that he couldn't match (and made him look foolish at times!) I didn't mind Carol Lane, but she is going to take some getting used to. Love her accent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    The last few years (especially with Virtue and Moir - Davis and White) I feel she holds back and I find it more and more difficult to get what she really thinks.
    This is exactly what I've thought too and not always just about those two - but also when C/P and W/P were competing against each other. Eons ago, I used to take a short-wave radio to the arena with me and got the 'colour' commentary between Tracy and Rod (CTV) when they were off camera. Rod was usually trying to get the low-down on the off-rink stuff. My, but what you don't get to hear on TV - all the gossip! Can't do that anymore - sigh.

vCash
    Although I didn't mind her commentary, I find Carol Lane to be a strange choice of analyst by the CBC. As the season progresses, she surely isn't going to be able to do live commentary on most events due to coaching commitments. I sincerely hope the reason isn't because we are not going to get live coverage all season.

vCash
    Sorry to see that Tracy Wilson will *not* in fact be part of the NBC team. I've always liked her, be it her manner, the way she expresses herself, little anecdotes she has to share, and remaining quiet when necessary. She just comes across as warm, nice, and very humble, like a favorite teacher at school.

Here's hoping we still see her on American television. She was my mainstay for American figure skating back in the hey day when skating was the most popular sport on t.v., especially professional shows and events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Sorry to see that Tracy Wilson will *not* in fact be part of the NBC team. :
    I thought that she was apart of the NBC team, not the CBC's.

vCash
    Ooops, meant to say Olympic NBC Team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Ooops, meant to say Olympic NBC Team.
    Still confused, who is where for the Olympics.

vCash
    Here are the line ups for Sochi:

NBC main network coverage:
    Tom, Sandra, Scott, Tracy

NBC multi-platform coverage (online)
    Terry, Tara, Johnny

NBC Olympic Sports Desk/Olympic Zone (show for the affiliates):
    Tanith (reporter)

CBC:
    Brenda, Carol, Kurt

vCash
    I was really unhappy with the CTV skating commentary at the Vancouver Olympics - we got stuck with people who either couldn't talk intelligently or weren't allowed to. Now the same thing is going to happen in Sochi. I wish they'd quit using freelancing commentators - yes I'd give up Tracy - so that we'd have a well trained team ready to go when it counts. I thought Jen Robinson had potential but she needed practice. Carol Lane is not doing it for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSkateFan View Post
    Here are the line ups for Sochi:

NBC main network coverage:
    Tom, Sandra, Scott, Tracy

NBC multi-platform coverage (online)
    Terry, Tara, Johnny

NBC Olympic Sports Desk/Olympic Zone (show for the affiliates):
    Tanith (reporter)

CBC:
    Brenda, Carol, Kurt
    Any mention of who will be doing interviews at the rink? This list doesn't make it quite clear. I'm thinking it may still be Andrea Joyce.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Carol Lane is not doing it for me.
    Same for me. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about how they enjoyed her speaking voice. To me it's like fingernails on chalkboard.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    CBC:
    Brenda, Carol, Kurt
    So what happens if one of Carol's teams makes it to the Olympics? Having only Kurt doing ice dance commentary isn't ideal.

vCash
    There was this one time that a skater/team wuzrobbed, and when his/her/their marks came up Tracy was dead silent. Her partner asked how she felt about the marks and Tracy just said in a very stern voice "Totally Disagree".

Anyone remember which competition this was?

vCash
    CBC:
    Brenda, Carol, Kurt
    I don't understand the addition of Carol. Her commentary is awful and she says some really stupid things. For example, after one skate she said something to the effect "I feel like I've just had a glass of super bubbly champagne".

Certainly CBC could have find someone far more qualified, or at least far better at commentating?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I don't understand the addition of Carol. Her commentary is awful and she says some really stupid things. For example, after one skate she said something to the effect "I feel like I've just had a glass of super bubbly champagne".

Certainly CBC could have find someone far more qualified, or at least far better at commentating?
    I guess you missed her earlier explanation that there was a description in the ISU materials about the Finnstep that used the analogy of "bubbly champagne". She was obviously complimenting the particular performance.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    I guess you missed her earlier explanation that there was a description in the ISU materials about the Finnstep that used the analogy of "bubbly champagne". She was obviously complimenting the particular performance.
    Yes, the ISU descriptors for the FinnStep character/interpretation specifically make this metaphor, thus her commentary is apt

vCash
    I hope it doesn't sound like I was dissing Carol Lane because I'm sure with time she'd be fine, it's just that I don't agree with having anyone comment who is so closely involved with the competition. Tanith Belbin is an example of a commentator who shouldn't be doing ice dance commentary on her lover and his competition. It's a conflict of interest in an altogether too cosy environment.

vCash
    sorry - duplicate
    Last edited by Jeanne7; 10-30-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: duplicate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I hope it doesn't sound like I was dissing Carol Lane because I'm sure with time she'd be fine, it's just that I don't agree with having anyone comment who is so closely involved with the competition. Tanith Belbin is an example of a commentator who shouldn't be doing ice dance commentary on her lover and his competition. It's a conflict of interest in an altogether too cosy environment.
    Hmm - but Tanith is Canadian - well, dual citizen now, so the US networks have 3 Canadian commentators working for them. I like Tracy. She's very knowledgable & breaks down CoP scoring so viewers can understand it a bit more. And she always points out the positives of each team.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast