Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Lipnitskaya `You don't medal for the past achievements' interview for fsrussia.ru

Lipnitskaya participated an open lesson in one of Moscow schools. Later she and Tutberidze were interviewed by various journalists, the article compiled by Olga Ermolina - the RFSF press attache
    Lipnitskaya `You don't medal for the past achievements' interview for fsrussia.ru
    Q: Tell us about the story with Spilberg, the producer of `Shindler's list'. Did he indeed send you a letter?

ET: Yes, he did. Our friend has it, but we know what is it about. He thanks Julia for carrying the feelings he was trying to depict through the programme. He said all his family - his 3 sons and 4 daughters were crying when they saw Julia's skate. Spilberg is grateful for raising such an important issue in the skating programme and for Lipnitskaya being able to show the character of a girl in the red coat he created. He hoped his family will be able to meet Julia and her mother and perhaps spend some time together. I think for Julia and I it's the highest possible praise. I think it can be compared to the Olympic gold medal - hearing Steven Spilberg thanking us for the the character - it's awesome.

Q: In her LP Julia tried a very complicated character. But she is just 15. It's an age when you usually fall in love. Did it happen to you already, Julia?
    ET: Sure. She fell in love with figure skating.

Q: But does she have a close friend?
    JL: I have a lot of friends.
    ET: If we are talking about friends in plural there is nothing romantic to mention.

Q: What is the secret of your success?
    JL: I think I already answered that today.
    ET: There is not secret really. It's all about hard work. Not sparing yourself. It happen when someone is tired, in pain...
    JL: That's me the other day
    ET: And that's when the coach has to talk, convince and make you do things. The pupil has to set himself into the right mood and the work will begin. If it doesn't happen the day is wasted. I always say: if we haven't made a progress today it's a step back. Because the others did progress today and the competition is huge.

Q: Julia, you mentioned thinking about the Olympics for the first time when you were 6
    JL: Right
    ET: It took Julia 6 years to get there. When they came to Moscow I was surprised by her mother's words `You know, age wise we are suitable for the Olympics'. I thought the Olympics were so far away. And Julia was still a little girl. But it was then that I understood what kind of responsibility I'm taking - if there are such goals you have to do your best to get there.

Q: Everyone know the story of Julia and her mom getting into the car and coming to Moscow from Ekaterinburg. Did you know what were their plans?
    ET: Julia's mother called me from Ekaterinburg and said `If we come to Moscow would you take a look?'. I said yes and they came.
    JL: The funny thing is that after 3 days in the car I landed the 3T. For the first time in my life.
    ET: Which impressed me. Later I learned it was indeed the first time in her life she landed it.

Q: Julia, were you afraid changing your life?
    JL: I had to make a decision. I do remember my mother and I sitting in our old flat and mom said `Julia, it's all in your hands. Either we are retiring from figure skating and you will attend the school or we'll go to Moscow for a try out. If it won't work out that will be it'
    ET: Not everyone would dare doing what Julia and her mother did. Of course Julia was just a little girl who followed her mother. They sold the flat in Ekaterinburg, got into the car and drove to Moscow. They had nothing left and they came into an unknown. They had a goal and they wanted to give it a shot.

Q: Did you know they burnt all the bridges?
    ET: No. I didn't know a lot of things. Julia's mother is a very strong personality. She never asked for help and never complained how hard things were. The sport school didn't start supporting them at once. It've been just about 3 years, perhaps less, that they are paying for Julia's and her mother's flat. They got along themselves before. It wasn't easy and they gave up a lot to reach their goal.

Q: Eteri, how does a person who decides to become a coach feels? You depend on your pupils completely. On their desires, abilities, moods and talents.
    ET: Sure, as long as my pupils get results am a coach. Why have I decided to become one? When I retired from skating I decided to move on and not spare myself. Just like my pupils am on the rink from 11am till 10pm. And I try combining that with being a mother. It doesn't really work. But I give all I have. It's hard. We all have to tie our skates, go out on the ice and try to do our best every day. I also have to keep in mind my pupils might be tired, not i nthe mood, upset or whatever. I have to deal with that and get the best possible result still.

Q: Is your job a sacrifice?
    ET: No. It's my hobby as well. I love figure skating, I love my job and I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm very grateful to my mother who listened to a 4y.o. me and took me to figure skating and gave up a lot to allow me reach certain highs.

Q: Julia, in order to reach your goals you work very hard and give up a lot. Are there moments when you want to retire and live a different life?
    JL: All the time. it's very hard. I have to work on myself all the time. Especially the last season.
    ET: Last season was hard. Julia was in a verge of giving up. We spoke a lot, began from the scratch and she would give up again. There were so many injures. She didn't have time to recover and another injury happened. And there were those stupid ones: the boots, twisting a foot in the gym, falling from the spin and bumping into a border.. There were so many things. Many would despair.

Q: All those problems are left behind. You have the medal. Julia, do you understand you can't give up figure skating now.
    JL: Of course I do. When I enter the internet and see all the support I get it moves me. I have the Worlds ahead of me, and then there are lots of things I have been postponing. I'm afraid the future will be even more full of events. I'm used to the daily work and the daily training, but all those new people and new things I have to do. That stresses me and I get tired of that fast.

Q: It's obvious the Worlds will be hard after the Olympic games. What is your goal?
    JL: Of course I want to rehabilitate from my 5th place in the Olympics and try not to make any mistakes.
    ET: We understand the championship will take place in Japan. Mao Asada, whose Olympics were not the best, will be forgiven some things. It's the home championship for her. So Julia is right -for us the most important is to skate our programmes and see how will they be received.

Q: Did you make any changes in the programmes?
    ET: Perhaps we'll try to change the spins a bit. Even for me Julia's new spins look unusual. It's a shame for such spins we get the same marks as everyone else. If they get +3 we should get +5 for it. Hey ho, we are doing it for the programme impression and the crowd.

Q: Julia, does the Olympic medal give you a boost of confidence for the Worlds?
    JL: No.

Q: I.e. the Olympics are yet another competition?
    JL: No, it's not yet another competition. I just don't see how is it related. Do you mean I should go on the ice, tell everyone `oh, I'm so confident, medal me now'? You don't get a medal for the past achievements.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I have such mixed feelings about this glorious child. On the one hand, I hope she continues to grow and progress in the sport for herself, her mother's sacrifices and her coach. On the other, I feel she has sacrificed her childhood for an Olympic medal. I understand the difference it will make in her and her mother's lives and that this isn't just a fun hobby, but I'm sad that it was an all or nothing situation for them. In some ways this parallels Trankov and Smirnov's lives as young skaters who lived at the rink because they couldn't afford to do otherwise, but they were both older and made the decision themselves. A 6 yo, really didn't make any decisions. It points to the extreme contrast of skaters in the US or Japan whose families are typically upper middle class and can afford to indulge their child's Olympic dreams, but their future doesn't hinge on winning that OGM. I have the impression Julia Lipnitskia's does. That's not to say those families don't make sacrifices because they do, but most don't make the type of choices that Julia's mother made.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Don't you have your own life to worry about? She's a gritty girl and gritty always thrives. I'm more worried about her injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I have such mixed feelings about this glorious child. On the one hand, I hope she continues to grow and progress in the sport for herself, her mother's sacrifices and her coach. On the other, I feel she has sacrificed her childhood for an Olympic medal.
    All elite figure skaters sacrificed as much as Julia did. They all trained through their childhood, spent a lot of money and time at the rink, had some injuries... Some had to remortgage house, some had to move. Julia is lucky that she at least had some reward for all the hard work - the medal. There are plenty of skaters who sacrificed as much and don't even have the medals.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    He said all his family - his 3 sons and 4 daughters were crying when they saw Julia's skate. Spilberg is grateful for raising such an important issue in the skating programme and for Lipnitskaya being able to show the character of a girl in the red coat he created.
    That is awesome.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I have such mixed feelings about this glorious child. On the one hand, I hope she continues to grow and progress in the sport for herself, her mother's sacrifices and her coach. On the other, I feel she has sacrificed her childhood for an Olympic medal.
    Don't all athletes sacrifice (their childhood) to compete? She has medals, money a brand new SUV and she's just starting out. Some athletes train and don’t even come close to what she already has. Bazarova and Larionov certainly don't.

I think some people glorify childhood too much.

vCash
    Wait so what is the story with Julia's dad? Are her parents divorced?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Don't you have your own life to worry about? She's a gritty girl and gritty always thrives. I'm more worried about her injuries.
    Why yes I do and don't actually give more than a couple minutes thought about athletes. I just think it's sort of sad. So you can stuff the violin back from where you withdrew it.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Wait so what is the story with Julia's dad? Are her parents divorced?
    I think it was written somewhere he was never in the picture to begin with. I don't think her parents were ever married. Can't find the story/interview right now, it's from my memory only, so not 100% sure

YEAH!
    vCash
    I read that her dad went into the army and never came back. I also read that after the Olympic team event some Russian TV stations were trying to find him.
    Q: I.e. the Olympics are yet another competition?
    JL: No, it's not yet another competition. I just don't see how is it related. Do you mean I should go on the ice, tell everyone `oh, I'm so confident, medal me now'? You don't get a medal for the past achievements.
    Well... it IS figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Q: It's obvious the Worlds will be hard after the Olympic games. What is your goal?
    JL: Of course I want to rehabilitate from my 5th place in the Olympics and try not to make any mistakes.
    ET: We understand the championship will take place in Japan. Mao Asada, whose Olympics were not the best, will be forgiven some things. It's the home championship for her. So Julia is right -for us the most important is to skate our programmes and see how will they be received.
    interesting comments about Asada, Are they trying to justify the "Russian way" by saying these things?

Q: Did you make any changes in the programmes?
    ET: Perhaps we'll try to change the spins a bit. Even for me Julia's new spins look unusual. It's a shame for such spins we get the same marks as everyone else. If they get +3 we should get +5 for it. Hey ho, we are doing it for the programme impression and the crowd.
    Lips's Spins flexibility is amazing, but there are other athletes with special talents who can't be outstandingly rewarded in this system.
    Last edited by Eladola; 03-18-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

Did she start skating yesterday?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    interesting comments about Asada, Are they trying to justify the "Russian way" by saying these things?
    Maybe Julia's coach was thinking the 13GPF in Japan.
    Anyway her comment about Mao was unnecessary and not classy.
    Last edited by crisp; 03-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

Did she start skating yesterday?
    Exactly. Julia, honey, of course they do give medals for past achievements. Finally she sounds like a 15 year old and not a 35 year old. But it is important that she believes that and gives her Worlds performance her best.

rfisher, name one elite skater who didn't sacrifice their childhood and normality of life for their sport. Really now. How is Julia different?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crisp View Post
    Anyway her comment about Mao was unnecessary and not classy.
    I think it was an honest comment. Given what Julia observed in Sochi, it is not surprising she expects a home country advantage. I'm sure she was thinking 'just as Russians were forgiven some things in Sochi'.

She has relatively little experience to draw on and her experience indicates to her that home advantage is a reality.

Probably everyone in the skating world in Russia tells her the same. It wouldn't surprise me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think it was an honest comment. Given what Julia observed in Sochi, it is not surprising she expects a home country advantage. I'm sure she was thinking 'just as Russians were forgiven some things in Sochi'.

She has relatively little experience to draw on and her experience indicates to her that home advantage is a reality.

Probably everyone in the skating world in Russia tells her the same. It wouldn't surprise me.
    It was her coach's comment, not Julia's.

vCash
    I don't care for her coaches comments, especially the one about Mao.
    Last edited by AndyWarhol; 03-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Exactly. Julia, honey, of course they do give medals for past achievements. Finally she sounds like a 15 year old and not a 35 year old. But it is important that she believes that and gives her Worlds performance her best.
    Well, they don't give medal for past achievements, otherwise Yuna Kim would have won the Olympics 2014.

vCash
    Irina said in 2002, that those were Michelle's Olympics. It seems to be taken for granted in Russia that there is truly a home ice advantage in the scoring.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Irina said in 2002, that those were Michelle's Olympics. It seems to be taken for granted in Russia that there is truly a home ice advantage in the scoring.
    But there is. Last years world championships is just an example...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast