View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...We Get One Life and One Life Only

45 58.44%
  • Yes, For Sure!!

14 18.18%
  • I'm With PeterG (100% Undecided)

18 23.38%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Is there actually a soul? I don't think so. I think that is simply another notion made up by humans to make us feel special and set us apart from other animals.
    I've always thought all living creatures have a soul. It's like a spiritual manifestation of the heart. As in, it's what we think of is the heart, but actually the heart is just a muscle, part of the body/machine, and the soul is what makes us alive spiritually, connects us etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Is there actually a soul? I don't think so. I think that is simply another notion made up by humans to make us feel special and set us apart from other animals.
    But if we didn't have souls, where would the impulse to feel special and want to be set apart from the other animals come from in the first place?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    But if we didn't have souls, where would the impulse to feel special and want to be set apart from the other animals come from in the first place?
    Why does one have to have a soul to feel any of that? We have extremely complex brains that can see and feel things that aren't even there.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    What I'm saying is, you don't see other animals postulating a belief in the soul. Only humans.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Here is an interesting video for both believers and non-believers alike.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCUjx4...%3DOWCUjx4nI98
    Wow. At the beginning I was thinking that this was going to very hokey but with each minutes I became more Great link Buzz, thanks!

Sorry, PeterG, didn't mean to be confusing. What I was trying to say is this (and I haven't had my coffee yet, so let's hope I can put it coherently). Christians believe that it's not our hard work that gets us into heaven, because we can't ever be good enough and holy enough to reach God, who is infinitely holy. This is exactly why Christ died on the cross, to take upon Himself the penalty for our sin. As the perfect Son of God, He could do for us what we can't do for ourselves. (Hence His words just before dying: "It is finished." His task of atonement had been completed.) So we're saved by believing in Him, repenting of our sin, and accepting that He did the atoning for us.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think there is some evidence of this in the Mormon's belief of baptism after-death (you don't have to have believed in Christ on Earth), and the Pope recently said even atheists who have lead good lives are redeemed (though that does appear to be a departure from past beliefs).
    Your post made me think about how some atheists I know live rather selfless lives, who live their lives in a way that some might call "Christ-like". (But probably not those atheists themselves!) On the flip side, I posted somewhere on FSU a while back (or in this thread?? ) that there are some U.S. politicians who say they are Christian, but their actions to me seem the exact opposite of the loving teachings I'm aware of that Jesus Christ wanted for people to live by.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    What I'm saying is, you don't see other animals postulating a belief in the soul. Only humans.
    I think that has much more to do with our brains than any soul. We have brains that make us capable of such complex thoughts that we are able to think about our own existence and also to realize our place on the food chain. We aren't just at the top, we KNOW we are at the top and can think about what that means. A soul really has nothing to do with that and I am not sure I have ever head anyone say it does.

I agree that other animals don't postulate about a belief in a soul but I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Does believing in a soul give you a soul? That is a logical fallacy but I can't remember the name for it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    That comes from the brain.

To think we are better than all other living creatures is folly.

I agree that other animals don't postulate about a belief in a soul but I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Does believing in a soul give you a soul? That is a logical fallacy but I can't remember the name for it.
    No. We are talking about 'belief' and 'faith', not logic.

That said, things do happen that defy logic and enough people have had supernatural experiences to suggest that there might be more to our lives than we know.

vCash
    What Tinami said. I understand that people need something to hold on to, something to believe in, to find comfort in, to wake up every day for and all that, but why not make that thing something that actually exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    All I know is that the evil entity was very real and trying to get me. I believe others have seen the tunnel with the light at the end, but there's also evil entities trying to prevent certain ones from getting to that light at the end of the tunnel.
    All of which can be explained rationally.

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Rese...xperiences.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    That said, things do happen that defy logic and enough people have had supernatural experiences to suggest that there might be more to our lives than we know.
    Yes, we are still very far from understanding how exactly our brains work.

vCash
    But we don't know whether dogs wonder if they've got a soul or not...we have a long way to go in understanding all living things, not just ourselves. And there are some things we'll never know. I choose to believe all living things have a soul, I see it as the "thing" that helps us all (living things, not just humans) connect etc.

vCash
    I agree with angelskates. Though dolphins rather than dogs came to mind first since they have documented communication skills. And I think whatever "life force" humans have, animals have also. So if humans have an after life, so do animals.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Have you often eavesdropped on communication between other animals? I have no idea if they talk with each other about this or not. All I know is they don't talk to me about it.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    All of which can be explained rationally.

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Rese...xperiences.htm
    Thank you, and I'm very interested in reading those books. My stepsister nearly died from Pneumonia about 5 years ago. She never discussed her near-death experience until after I told her about mine. I realized our near-death experiences were similar when she told me that she had to also fight an evil entity.

Regarding souls. IMHO, I definitely believe we have souls especially since this evil entity was trying to take mine.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I agree with angelskates. Though dolphins rather than dogs came to mind first since they have documented communication skills. And I think whatever "life force" humans have, animals have also. So if humans have an after life, so do animals.
    Squirrels? Mice? Ants? Bed bugs? What about plants? And what about protozoa and bacteria, which aren't animals but are nevertheless living things?

You cannot say that either a kind of animal can communicate with others of its kind, or else it can't. Some animals, such as the examples you've given, have quite complex communication skills, as do primates, but animals further down the chain also have some of these skills to a lesser extent.

Where are you going to draw the line? Or aren't you going to draw it at all?
    Last edited by orientalplane; 10-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Squirrels? Mice? Ants? Bed bugs? What about plants? And what about protozoa and bacteria, which aren't animals but are nevertheless living things?
    Religions that believe in reincarnation believe all these things are part of the cycle.

Since the idea of a life force is not something proveable, there is no reason to not include them.

vCash

Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

No. We are talking about 'belief' and 'faith', not logic.
    I was talking about logic, thanks very much. I was pointing out that it looked like Wyliefan was awfully close to a common logical fallacy. That is all.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Have you often eavesdropped on communication between other animals? I have no idea if they talk with each other about this or not. All I know is they don't talk to me about it.
    Well, I will say that I would not be surprised if cats are plotting world domination. (I like cats, but I still wouldn't be surprised!)

BigB08822, I think I see what you're saying -- that I was engaging in circular reasoning? I can see how it might have come across that way, but that wasn't quite how I meant it. What I was trying to say is this: We look around at the animal kingdom and observe that in some ways (e.g., thought processes and communication) we humans function at a higher level than the rest of the animal kingdom. It might not be unreasonable, then, to say that we do have something that sets us apart. That's all.

If I might backtrack just a moment, I came across something in my morning reading that summarized Christianity much more elegantly than I did the other day:

"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself [in the sense that He offers us eternal life in heaven]. That is the formula. That is Christianity." This is C. S. Lewis in Mere Christianity, and I think it's especially valuable in the context of our discussion, because in that book he was attempting to examine what the various Christian denominations have in common. He goes on to say that there are different ways of understanding and interpreting this, but that the basics of Christ's death and atonement are at the heart of it all.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    BigB08822, I think I see what you're saying -- that I was engaging in circular reasoning? I can see how it might have come across that way, but that wasn't quite how I meant it. What I was trying to say is this: We look around at the animal kingdom and observe that in some ways (e.g., thought processes and communication) we humans function at a higher level than the rest of the animal kingdom. It might not be unreasonable, then, to say that we do have something that sets us apart. That's all...
    It might not be unreasonable and I think it is something people may believe regardless of whether they believe in souls or what their religious beliefs are.

There are animals like other primates and dolphins who seem to have a high level of intelligence, but I don't really think there's much indication that dogs, while quite intelligent among living beings, spend time thinking about whether they have souls and developing theories about reincarnation or the after life.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post

There are animals like other primates and dolphins who seem to have a high level of intelligence, but I don't really think there's much indication that dogs, while quite intelligent among living beings, spend time thinking about whether they have souls and developing theories about reincarnation or the after life.
    Maybe we can learn something from them.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Maybe we can learn something from them.
    I know I do.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    If my three Shelties were any indication, dogs think about 1. food; 2. sleep; 3. walking/running; 4. more food. I miss my doggies.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast