View Poll Results: Do You Believe In Past Lives / Reincarnation?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...We Get One Life and One Life Only

45 58.44%
  • Yes, For Sure!!

14 18.18%
  • I'm With PeterG (100% Undecided)

18 23.38%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I've never had any "past life" experiences but I had a strong sense of deja vu when visiting an excavated Roman villa in Germany 20+ years ago. I felt as tho I'd been there before & played as a child on the grounds. This was my one & only visit to Germany .

vCash
    Back in the 1100's, when I was a shaman in the Arctic, I used to believe in reincarnation. Now, however, I think the whole idea is too silly for words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    The human brain is a strange and wonderful thing. I don't know if I believe in reincarnation. I am religious and a Christian, and I believe in life after death, but who's to say that God (however you wish to describe Him/Her) doesn't say, "OK, that was a nice try. Want to give it another go-how about being an Eskimo this time?" Makes as much sense to me as anything else. In fact, giving us a chance to improve seems like a pretty godly thing. I don't know that I believe in it.
    I see your point -- but on the other hand, the heart of Christianity is accepting that Christ did the work for us and offers us our salvation freely, not that we have to improve. So that kind of works against the "chance to improve" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    that would be a great movie/book plot
    It TOTALLY would! I'd read that book (assuming that it came from an author who did a good job with the idea!).
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I have a mathematical problem with reincarnation. Right now, there are more people alive than have ever been in the combined history of humans on this planet. So, where, did all these extra souls come from? Scientologists? Extinct animals? (Though returned prehensile animals in human form would certainly explain some of my exes).
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I'd like to come back as a fly on PeterG's wall. The one he swats at but always misses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    That said, I don't know if everyone reincarnates, or reincarnates as a person. The basic idea of energy reforming could explain reincarnation, but maybe there needs to be a lot of energy, or will to live, for a person to reincarnate.
    That's an interesting way to think about it.

I always wondered what drives people to be interested/talented in something. Why am I a designer? Why do I love figure skating? Why am I interested in this or that historical event? I'm irreligious so to me, it's not "god's gift". Perhaps I got some "reformed energy" that was a pond skater in the 1800s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I have a mathematical problem with reincarnation. Right now, there are more people alive than have ever been in the combined history of humans on this planet. So, where, did all these extra souls come from? Scientologists? Extinct animals? (Though returned prehensile animals in human form would certainly explain some of my exes).
    Does reincarnation presume that everyone has been reincarnated and no one is new? Don't the souls have to start from somewhere? Or did they all exist in "the beginning". I know there is also the idea that you are no longer reincarnated once you achieve perfection, so they also stop at some point.

If there are a finite number of souls, I suppose it could be extinct animals, bacteria from the beginning of time, etc. But are there more insects now than there were in the past? Because every living thing is in the cycle, not just humans.

I don't know anything about the after-life, if there is one. I don't believe or not believe in reincarnation. I live my life in a way I deem is good, but I don't do it to be rewarded with a better next life whether it be on earth or elsewhere.

vCash
    My vote...in the words of the Lou Rawls song, you've only got one life to live.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    When I was a kid, I was fascinated by Egypt and the pyramids, etc. That interest hasn't continued through to adulthood, at least not to the same level. In the last five to ten years, I've watched a lot of movies with a Jewish theme, to the point where I say to myself, "stop watching so many of those movies" (partly because there's lots of different types of movies out there and partly because it can be upsetting, depending on the plot/story). But then another Jewish-themed movie ends up in my hands and I have to watch it! And now I'm reading a book about the history of Israel. So I wonder if there is a connection greater other than relating to a fellow persecuted group (as a gay man). Don't know if I will ever know, but it's interesting to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    PeterG and Snoopy, you have been conned! Can't believe you want to 'know what's your past life'. What were you all hoping to discover? That you might have hidden a pot of gold coins in your past life?
    I did it at a time when I was exploring and curious and just wanted to try something out. A friend had recommended the lady I saw, so I thought I'd give it a show. I went to see a palm reader once also. Have never done either thing again. And I wasn't expecting or even hoping to find any hidden treasure. Just to see if these things could illuminate life in any way for me. But they did not...

Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    So if it can be 'proven' that, in a previous life you were criminal 'X', society should hold you criminally responsible and put you on trial?
    I think there's a statute of limitations for that one!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have always had a fascination with the Jewish culture and the Holocaust. I think it stems from the fact that when I was little I was convinced that my grandmother was a Holocaust survivor. I have no idea why, she isn't even old enough, nor is she Jewish, nor has she lived anywhere else besides the U.S. I had a best friend in elementary school who was Jewish and I loved going to Temple with her family and going to their place during Jewish holidays.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    If reincarnation does happen, those would all be new souls.

vCash
    Found this to be interesting... turns out, there are PLENTY of souls around from before: http://www.prb.org/Publications/Arti...edonEarth.aspx
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does reincarnation presume that everyone has been reincarnated and no one is new? Don't the souls have to start from somewhere? Or did they all exist in "the beginning". I know there is also the idea that you are no longer reincarnated once you achieve perfection, so they also stop at some point.
    But as a figure skating fan, you should know that "perfection" is subjective.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    But as a figure skating fan, you should know that "perfection" is subjective.
    I'm assuming to believe in reincarnation, you also have to believe in a supreme figure who does the deciding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    So if it can be 'proven' that, in a previous life you were criminal 'X', society should hold you criminally responsible and put you on trial?
    Isn't this the idea of karma though? You are punished BY your reincarnation. You shouldn't be punished as it, because the punishment has already occurred.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I prefer Nietzche's concept of eternal recurrence. You live your life in exactly the same detail, over and over. Eternally.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I prefer Nietzche's concept of eternal recurrence. You live your life in exactly the same detail, over and over. Eternally.
    Groundhog Day writ large. What a terrible idea, worse than No Exit.

I think human beings, the ones who get to live normal lifespans, are gifted with the ability to come to accept death. Whether that is a psychological trick our brains play on us to make it easier to age and die, or a gift from God, or a function of the slowing down of the body, is up to you. Speaking for myself I find death much less threatening than I did in my twenties when I just couldn't imagine ceasing to exist. Now it seems that, when I get tired enough, that will be just fine by me.

Personally I think we get one life, our minds don't exist independent of our brains and when we're dead, we're dead.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Groundhog Day writ large. What a terrible idea, worse than No Exit.

But if you feel that way, shouldn't you change how you live your life? What if we all tried to actually live as if we are going to go this way over and over eternally?

Its definitely my perferred option over reincarnation, after life, or nonexistence.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Ick. To me, that sounds almost like hell even if I were perpetually a princess.

I like the concept of reincarnating, not so much for karma, but because of the idea of having a *plethora* of experiences. So if you had 20 lives - being a princess, a housewife, a slave, a pirate, an investment banker….then each of them seems like more of an experience and adventure. And the bad lives seem more like having a different experience rather than experiencing “evil”.
    What would Jenny do?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm wondering, are "you" the same "you" through all those lives so that its really like just playing a part in a play? So there's still a "you" underneath all the lives so in a way its only one life?

I like my life; its the only one I want. I would love to get to do it again.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast