vCash

Hosting Foreign Exchange Students who Figure Skate

Does anyone know of any agency or program that possibly works with athletes looking to train in another country? We are looking at hosting a student and would like them to possibly figure skate since we could take them to and from the rink with our daughter daily. As well in a year or so we would like to do the same and send our daughter overseas.

vCash
    What age group and skill level are you thinking of?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I don't care what age/level. I just figured if we are going to host a student they might as well skate since I go to the rink 5 days a week. My daughter is only 10 and just starting her doubles. I wouldn't mind any level. We would prefer a German exchange student but would be open to other countries as well. We are located in FL. If anyone knows of anyone or is interested feel free to PM me.

vCash
    That would be really cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babbyrabbit View Post
    I don't care what age/level. I just figured if we are going to host a student they might as well skate since I go to the rink 5 days a week. My daughter is only 10 and just starting her doubles. I wouldn't mind any level. We would prefer a German exchange student but would be open to other countries as well. We are located in FL. If anyone knows of anyone or is interested feel free to PM me.
    To be honest, I doubt that any child around your daughter's age is going to be sent on a student exchange, unless they're part of a short-term group tour. And if it's an older student the skill level might matter, because going to the rink won't be helpful to them if they can't get on the sessions they need.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    It sounds like a neat idea, if it's something your daughter wants to do.

It might be easier to aim for a few weeks at first instead of a whole school year and to look for connections through a skating rink or coach. There's probably a rink somewhere with a summer program that would fit your daughters level and you might be able to find a host family for her there, or even make connections for a longer exchange later.

vCash
    We are not looking to send my daughter right for a few years but we are looking at hosting a student in the near future. I didn't think about session level. Our sessions have all levels of skaters. From prelim to senior and some designated for Pairs time.

vCash
    Some ideas are you could see if any coaches in your vicinity have ties to Germany, etc. and see if they know of anyone interested. Another idea is to google Foreign Exchange Student for groups who handle the students. One that came up is called Ayusa (I know nothing about them) that says it has been promoted by Michelle Kwan. I know of some people that had good experiences going through Kiwanis.
    Good luck and I hope it works out.