Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

vCash
    TEB FD is in the books. Believe it or not, I/K beat V/M and P/B in TES. Not by much but still. VM had 2 deductions and got hit on some levels and scored 105. Have to laugh at some (not all) of the VM ubers blaming both Blumberg and Marina. Funny they were fine with Blumberg's calls in the SD. But anyway, DW go into the GPF as the top team, nearly 13 points (total) ahead of VM no less. There hasn't been that much of a spread between them ever, not even when DW were behind them, if I recall correctly but I'd have to check on that. VM are still a lovely team but I still say that they have not improved much in 4 years, they are somewhat static. They were wonderful back in 2010 and they still have that quality (hence their great PCS scores) but technically they have been static and they just don't have that sharpness. Perhaps injury took its toll over the long term, I don't know. D/W have steadily improved from 2010, they needed to. I think it shows in their dances and definitely shows in their scores.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    The GPF will be a barn-burner for the SD for sure. Hope they come out on top, even by .04, so they can skate last in the free. Shez is such a crowd pleaser, it would close the competition wonderfully.

vCash
    The GPF is in Japan too. They will go crazy over D/W, even if they don't skate last. Remember their reaction to Notre Dam at 4CC? I felt sorry for V/M (well not really lol) for skating AFTER M/C.

Wow. So I/K beat V/M in TES and won 2nd over P/B? Damn.

vCash
    The scores really don't mean a whole lot right now except for aiding the skaters/coaches to gauge where they are at in the season and making appropriate changes. I'm most excited to see what changes they made to their free dance with Alex.
    Last edited by mollymgr; 11-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    okay, I just checked, Scott and Tessa would have to score 117.99 to equal Meryl and Charlie's combined GP score. Is that score even POSSIBLE in Ice Dance?
    Not that it matters now, but a perfect ice dance FD score currently (with the base value/GOE as it is now) is 120.5 (straight level fours, straight +3s, straight 10s)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    TEB FD is in the books. Believe it or not, I/K beat V/M and P/B in TES. Not by much but still. VM had 2 deductions and got hit on some levels and scored 105. Have to laugh at some (not all) of the VM ubers blaming both Blumberg and Marina. Funny they were fine with Blumberg's calls in the SD. But anyway, DW go into the GPF as the top team, nearly 13 points (total) ahead of VM no less. There hasn't been that much of a spread between them ever, not even when DW were behind them, if I recall correctly but I'd have to check on that. VM are still a lovely team but I still say that they have not improved much in 4 years, they are somewhat static. They were wonderful back in 2010 and they still have that quality (hence their great PCS scores) but technically they have been static and they just don't have that sharpness. Perhaps injury took its toll over the long term, I don't know. D/W have steadily improved from 2010, they needed to. I think it shows in their dances and definitely shows in their scores.
    VM had a bad skate. It happens. I still won't count them out and I'm sure neither will DW. GPF is sure to be exciting and a nail biter.

I don't get the blame game though. It's either " I love Marina!" "I hate Marina!" That gets tiresome over time.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    I think TEB scores were all over the place. Very high scores for everyone in the SD. I/K beating V/M in TES and P/B overall. The same I/K who finished 4th behind the Shibs not longer than A WEEK AGO, losing their FD TES to G/P. I/K who jumped from 94 last week to 102 this week. This was just a strange competition. I'm very curious what will happen in the GPF, where strangely enough, I/K will not perform.

Wow, ice dancing this season is such a mess So glad Meryl and Charlie seem to be way above of all of this and safe from it so far.

vCash
    Yes. The TEB scores were different. When was the last time DW or VM lost the technical mark to another team? What does this say about the VM free?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    VM had a bad skate. It happens. I still won't count them out and I'm sure neither will DW. GPF is sure to be exciting and a nail biter.

I don't get the blame game though. It's either " I love Marina!" "I hate Marina!" That gets tiresome over time.
    I never count VM out, far from it. To me, though, they are pretty much the same as they were 4 yrs ago and their FD emphasizes that to me. Just my opinion of course. I agree that the GPF will be exciting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I think TEB scores were all over the place. Very high scores for everyone in the SD. I/K beating V/M in TES and P/B overall. The same I/K who finished 4th behind the Shibs not longer than A WEEK AGO, losing their FD TES to G/P. I/K who jumped from 94 last week to 102 this week. This was just a strange competition. I'm very curious what will happen in the GPF, where strangely enough, I/K will not perform.

Wow, ice dancing this season is such a mess So glad Meryl and Charlie seem to be way above of all of this and safe from it so far.
    Russian ice dancers, magically besting teams they normally don't come close to, right before the Olympics in Russia. WOW. I. AM. SO. SURPRISED.
    Said no one ever.

I like their programs more this year than I ever have, but your obvious Russia. Very obvious.
    I don't think this says much about V/M. It's more about the P word.

vCash

I wouldn't count them out of course. I think the problem is they keep having mistakes. They've become inconsistent. It's been so close between D/W and V/M, that it demands each team skate perfectly to win. And in the last few competitions, including the previous season, they just haven't been doing that. I think once the judges start to expect mistakes, it can be a real problem, and be a problem for a skater's confidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I never count VM out, far from it. To me, though, they are pretty much the same as they were 4 yrs ago and their FD emphasizes that to me. Just my opinion of course. I agree that the GPF will be exciting.
    I agree with you in a way in that I think this FD does them no favors. In a way I think they "shot themselves in the foot" by saying it continued where Mahler left off. When people saw it for the first time, it was coined "Mahler 2.0." They haven't been able to undo that. I think my main issue is the music, the different pieces are disjointed so one has trouble following them.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Russian ice dancers, magically besting teams they normally don't come close to, right before the Olympics in Russia. WOW. I. AM. SO. SURPRISED.
    Said no one ever.

I like their programs more this year than I ever have, but your obvious Russia. Very obvious.
    I don't think this says much about V/M. It's more about the P word.
    My thoughts exactly. I fear that Pechalat/Bourzat won't stand a chance at a medal and I'm almost afraid to see B/S's scores next week at CoR.

vCash
    I know that it's not always accurate to judge scores across different competitions but D/W had better look to sharpening up their SD. V/M have caught up point-wise especially in the TES- which is good for them since the choreography and interpretation of their SD is really a gem this season. I don't normally like V/M's SDs but Marina has created a lazy, casual, jazzy summer veranda kind of dance for Tessa and Scott that they've managed to interpret with their usual sense of intimacy and nuance.

D/W's SD while it has been getting strong points especially at Skate America isn't quite as strong a SD for me in terms of the story and focus of the choreography. Their SD music and concept is a very strong story-based opportunity for them that the choreography is not showing me. The beginning of the program especially is a throw away beginning that doesn't have anything truly special to draw you into the story right away - it's just a few light twirls mainly facing away from each other. It's not even like the beginning of their FD where right away with Meryl's hand in Charlie's and him guiding her through these lilting arm movements - that beginning draws you into the Scheherazade story right away. Nothing in the beginning of D/W's SD does that for me. The beginning steps are kind of generically graceful steps. They do them with their normal verve, speed, flow and lightness but the movement itself doesn't contain an interesting shape or use of arm or leg. Their SD this year reminds me of their Die Fledermaus FD. I know that that FD was much loved here but I had a different take on it. While it stood up well in terms of technical levels the dance itself didn't have the dynamic texture of highs, lows, or uniqueness of movement to draw you in deeply. Yes, it was beautiful but it was a lot of wafting of arms and back and forth swaying motion that after watching awhile it sort of blends all together with no stand out moments except for that one shoulder rotational lift. Their current SD choreography plays the same way for me. And it doesn't have to because this is beautiful music with highs and lows and a story that they could utilize more- right now Marina's not really using it very well by giving them unique story moments in the dance.

Again, I'm so critical here because I want them to improve it so they won't get tripped up the way they did in the 2011-2012 season where all was well and they managed to win at GPF but come Worlds they were in for a nasty surprise because they thought they didn't need to improve or change their FD. TEB this weekend showed me that V/M are changing and improving their dances to get points where they need to as are I/K. In fact, I/K's points improved so much from NHK that I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian Federation is pushing for them to get a silver and possibly higher not just a bronze.

I really wish that Meryl and Charlie will realize that their SD needs a stronger point of view in the choreography. If they sharpened their SD that along with their strong, strong FD this will hold them in good stead and allow them to compete from a place of strength at the Olympics! Go Meryl and Charlie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskater View Post
    Yes. The TEB scores were different. When was the last time DW or VM lost the technical mark to another team? What does this say about the VM free?
    Actually V/M lost the TES score to Weaver/Poje in BOTH dances at Skate Canada just a few weeks ago. That was bad enough, but losing to I/K, of all people, is worse.

vCash
    I'm not a prude but it appears VM may have had a wardrobe malfunction. I was reviewing the AP images and uh..oops. I sent AP a message about it. I don't feel comfortable linking the image but it isn't hard to find. Maybe if enough people contact them, they'll remove it.

I'd post this on the VM thread but I figure they'll read it here.

Don't they review images before posting them? I know s**t happens with all the lifts and spinning but you'd think they'd spot this before releasing the image. Gah.

vCash
    I agree with you in a way in that I think this FD does them no favors. In a way I think they "shot themselves in the foot" by saying it continued where Mahler left off. When people saw it for the first time, it was coined "Mahler 2.0." They haven't been able to undo that. I think my main issue is the music, the different pieces are disjointed so one has trouble following them.
    It's almost an insult to call it Mahler 2.0, it's more like Mahler Jr. Mahler had that quiet intensity. It was sophisticated and elegant and seamless. The connection between them was authentic and tangible.

This program has no direction. If you showed me individual snippets, I would say the movement is very pretty, but overall it doesn't have an impact. It doesn't seem as cohesive and nuanced as Mahler.I still have Mahler on my computer. It's was a masterpiece and very special, this is not. I thought I was imagining it, but other people have said this, but even their expression seems a bit contrived and monotone. It's kind of hard to believe coming from them.

I have no doubt they'll skate it well and if they skate better than M/C they'll win, but it does make me a little sad they're going to end their career with this. I think they're capable of so much more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    It's almost an insult to call it Mahler 2.0, it's more like Mahler Jr. Mahler had that quiet intensity. It was sophisticated and elegant and seamless. The connection between them was authentic and tangible.

This program has no direction. If you showed me individual snippets, I would say the movement is very pretty, but overall it doesn't have an impact. It doesn't seem as cohesive and nuanced as Mahler.I still have Mahler on my computer. It's was a masterpiece and very special, this is not. I thought I was imagining it, but other people have said this, but even their expression seems a bit contrived and monotone. It's kind of hard to believe coming from them.

I have no doubt they'll skate it well and if they skate better than M/C they'll win, but it does make me a little sad they're going to end their career with this. I think they're capable of so much more.
    I agree with a lot of what you say. I think it all goes back to the music. they tried to piece two different types of music..and didn't they use a third piece to bridge the two? It's a lot of "pieces." It goes from soft piano to dramatic music (where the rotational lifts are) back to soft music. Very disjointed.

vCash
    NVM
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-17-2013 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    Is the thinking just that Marina sucks or are they thinking she is playing favorites?

I think both SDs are pretty strong and that result will come down to levels and errors.

VM are still a lovely team but I still say that they have not improved much in 4 years, they are somewhat static. They were wonderful back in 2010 and they still have that quality (hence their great PCS scores) but technically they have been static and they just don't have that sharpness.
    To my eye, also, they are basically the same team they were in 2010. I don't see any real improvement since then. Maybe some of that is the erratic training over the years due to Tessa's condition and surgery and maybe it's just that there was not really much left to improve.

The thing is, when your whole style is about smooth and flawless, any amount or raggedy-ness sticks out like a sore thumb and really brings down the "aaah" level. That is why V/M have historically gotten better and better as the season progressed, with more and more repetitions making it all smoother and sharper. The last couple seasons I have felt like they needed another month.

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast