Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Some of the modern ballets have Scheherazade in a neutral. It'd be kind of a cool twist considering the man is usually in the neutral for dance.
    The real weirdness is that neither the ballet nor R-Ks original 4 movement suite are about Scheherazade. The suite contains 4 movements each of which is thematically one of the 1001 stories. The ballet is a kind of prequel. The lead dancers are not Scheherazade and the sultan but are the Sultan's unfaithful wife (or favorite slave) and the guy the Sultan catches her fooling around with, usually referred to as the Golden Slave. The Sultan is in the ballet but is not the scantily clad guy we see in most of the pictures and I'm not sure if Scheherezade is in the ballet at all.

Naughty wife and golden slave
    http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-...n17-166048.jpg

Naughty wife and Sultan
    http://www.ballet.co.uk/albums/jr_en...ing_75_500.jpg
    (Tough to skate in that getup - or dance either, I imagine)

So, if Meryl & Charlie are playing Scheherazade and the Sultan, it really makes little sense to want to dress them like two completely different characters from the ballet.
    Last edited by Susan M; 10-22-2013 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle24 View Post
    Don't think I've seen this pic before.

http://instagram.com/p/fvqEt9FiYZ/
    Loving fierce Meryl and Charlie! So many of these promotional photos are bad, it's nice to see a good one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Loving fierce Meryl and Charlie! So many of these promotional photos are bad, it's nice to see a good one.
    I love the jacket ! Is that the official team jacket for the olys ?
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    I posted a couple of pics from SA on Flickr. Many more to follow, I just have to get them all organized! http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/10418838714/

TanithandBenFan, I dont know how you do it so quick!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4k52_QtWx4

CBC version of the FD, if anyone would like to see it.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by their comments. IMO they have tended to be overly harsh on their criticisms of Meryl and Charlie in the past, Kurt especially. But it wasn't the case here.

And, does anyone know who the British woman speaking is? At one point she says something like "As a coach" so I'm curious...

vCash
    It's Carol Lane. Great comments from the CBC team as well as Tracy Wilson on NBC.

vCash
    For those paying attention to the changes since Salt Lake, I love the new ending pose with Charlie on his knees with arms stretched out toward Meryl and Meryl facing away from Charlie, reaching into the sky - all to punctuate the end of the program. Check out the ending pose of their Samson program at Worlds. How things come full circle! I

vCash
    I haven't posted in awhile since I've been in the process of moving overseas but here are my comments on the new programs ...
    I love the concept and music of the FD and i'm excited to see this program grow. They have never disappointed me with a FD program in the past turning programs I was skeptical about (Tango) into riveting dances and continuing to develop programs that I initially loved as a concept but didn't love the execution of into programs that I loved by the end of the year (ER and ND). So I trust their choice of Scheherazade and I trust the vision they have for it.
    As for the SD, I don't love it. I was disappointed about the music choice when I first heard about it BUT this SD has a similar effect on me as their Waltz SD of the 10/11 season did.... it makes me smile. They skate it well and interpret the music (as it is) so well that they somehow convince me while they are skating it. I find it delightful and such a contrast from the FD.
    Best of luck to them this season. I fully believe that they have what it takes to become Olympic Champions and I'm eager to see how the pressure of the Olympic season, of being defending World Champions, and of training alongside their biggest rivals pushes them to refine and better their programs and skating. I'm hoping for two masterpieces come February!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    I posted a couple of pics from SA on Flickr. Many more to follow, I just have to get them all organized! http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/10418838714/

TanithandBenFan, I dont know how you do it so quick!
    Daniskates, your pictures are amazing! So beautiful! I feel like I could reach through the screen and touch MC's costumes. Nice work!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    If I had to believe anything was going on with V/M and D/W, I would believe the back and forth world titles were destined to keep the rivalry going strong for Sochi.
    That's more along the lines of what I was getting at. I don't think there is a monolithic entity (ISU or USFSA) "fixing" the scores, more like it's just an unwritten rule of one hand washes the other. D/W gets one, V/M gets one, and "that's just the way it is."

I don't think D/W should win 100% of the time if they are not deserving, but the judging was suspiciously inconsistent 2010-2012 when the titles were inexplicably traded. It's a bad sign when the hardcore skating fans can't even understand why a score or level was given.

I don't think it's "fixed" that D/W will win the Olympics. There may be a group that want to see each team win an equal amount of titles, but there are others who want the historicity of V/M winning two OGMs.

I wish the commentators were better about pointing out what move equals a certain level, but I think they don't understand it either. When nobody can understand, it reeks of politicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I don't think D/W should win 100% of the time if they are not deserving, but the judging was suspiciously inconsistent 2010-2012 when the titles were inexplicably traded. It's a bad sign when the hardcore skating fans can't even understand why a score or level was given.

I don't think it's "fixed" that D/W will win the Olympics. There may be a group that want to see each team win an equal amount of titles, but there are others who want the historicity of V/M winning two OGMs.

I wish the commentators were better about pointing out what move equals a certain level, but I think they don't understand it either. When nobody can understand, it reeks of politicking.
    What is funny is that up until last year's Worlds, the commentators in my country would always go: "They're both great teams, but usually Virtue and Moir are the ones who win". I was like, huh? Last time I checked Meryl and Charlie beat Tessa and Scott at numerous GPF and 4CC, as well as WTT.
    I still find it a little suspicious that, as someone has already said, in the years 2010-2012 Meryl and Charlie were repeatedly winning at smaller competitions (even back in 2009, come to think of it), but then magically dropping to second at Worlds. It really does look like someone was taking care of VM being considered the better ones. Now I do not believe DW should've won everything they entered in that period, but somehow I had the impression they were winning the events they did worse at and losing the ones they did amazing at.

Last year it must have changed. Apparently now someone really wants these teams to be considered as equals. To me, they totally are equals and it's all just a matter of personal taste and of whoever steals the show on a particular night. Still, all of this does look a little suspicious and sometimes it's really hard to tell why one team wins over the other. Because the judges said so, I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    This conversation is tedious and not fun.

I certainly don't want to dictate to the forum what to and what to not discuss, cause it isn't my business or my place, but if anyone wants to join me in silly costume talk, please feel free to reply.

After looking at tons of ballet costumes, I actually am an advocate of them staying in different colors. For once I really love Charlie's costume and I'd his to stay the same. I think Meryl should aim for a color between the very dark teal and the aqua.
    I love the shade of blue she's already got, though. I think it's gorgeous.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    After SLC they got feedback they should try and be faster, so at least the judges don't agree with you on this.

Besides, I think they've already slowed down - and it's a good thing. They're not rushing and running through their programs anymore, like they did in the past. Which is also why I am totally when I STILL see people (VM fans mostly) using this same old criticism this year.
    I've even seen the "lack of control" argument again. I mean, really? They're so much IN control right now I don't think it's even possible to have more of it.

I mean, I get DW might not be your cup of tea, but seing these arguments today makes me

On another note, I've rewatched the SD a couple of times already and I must say the dress is really growing on me. I love it, all of it actually. It moves beautifully, the back is stunning, but the front is pretty as well. The color is to die for
    I love Meryl & Charlie. They have given me a lot of joy these past few years in Ice Dance. Do I enjoy Tessa & Scott too ? Yes. Both can offer something that the other can't.
    My first look at Meryl & Charlie's programs this season have left me cold (Music-wise). But I have yet to see Tessa & Scott's.
    You can be a fan & still see things that you don't like.
    It's early in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    British Eurosport version of their FD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6EZJxeLATw

I don't recognize the woman who is commenting, though.
    Belated thanks to Doris for providing this link! The commentary was spot-on, and I was blown away anew by how difficult this program is, and how it's in such good shape so early in the season. Extra bonus: the shrieking screamer was somewhat muffled in this broadcast. : )

vCash
    Do not take it as a criticism ( I love Davis/ White and watched their FD many times, I think it is gorgeous and potentially their best), but I am puzzled at where the SD vocals came from. I've read it that it is indeed Julie Andrews, but smth. does not compute. Movie version is obviously different, but even the original Broadway version is different. Most importantly, it is in a different key, and the recording sounds too "high" for Andrew's natural voice. Could it be they took the Broadway version and manipulated it, making it a bit faster and a bit higher? That would also explain why some people do not love the voice, if it has been manipulated... anybody knows?
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I don't know whether it was true everywhere, but the music drowned out the commentary on NBC. Clearly, the skate gods were loving me on Sunday. :-)

vCash
    Julie Andrews also did a London cast album -- maybe it's from there. But keep in mind that she had an incredible range in those days, and could definitely have sung that high.

For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_P6co4aTik
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    Belated thanks to Doris for providing this link! The commentary was spot-on, and I was blown away anew by how difficult this program is, and how it's in such good shape so early in the season. Extra bonus: the shrieking screamer was somewhat muffled in this broadcast. : )
    Imagine how much fun it was sitting in the row behind the shrieking screamer all weekend. I had a Twitter exchange with either her or one of her friends because I thought it was ridiculous to be letting out blood-curdling screams in the middle of important elements. Like twizzles. Please hold the cheering until they're finished with all two or three sets of twizzles!

vCash
    Thank you TBfan and others who posted pictures, videos, etc. of Skate America!! I didn't forget!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Imagine how much fun it was sitting in the row behind the shrieking screamer all weekend. I had a Twitter exchange with either her or one of her friends because I thought it was ridiculous to be letting out blood-curdling screams in the middle of important elements. Like twizzles. Please hold the cheering until they're finished with all two or three sets of twizzles!
    What did she say? lol

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast