Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

vCash
    I love all the pictures and video clips. What a great blog post.

vCash
    OMG those Halloween photos are beyond adorable!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    Sometimes I go back and watch Evan's performance at Marshall's Challenge thingy in 2006, the one in the yellow jersey, to remind myself what he used to be like. I'm not crazy about the persona he cultivated post-Torino. That said, he's tall and good-looking, and makes a good model for the team gear. He's just too full of himself lately for me to take seriously.
    Exactly. That's why I said he would make a good Slender Man..Just stand there and blend in with the trees aka other PC people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    They are too cute! And I love the flashback picture of Meryl as Pippi Longstocking.

vCash
    After watching the top 4 short dances at Cup of China, I went back and watched MC's SKAM SD. They are so far ahead of the other teams it's not even funny. If they were at COC, they'd probably be in the lead by about 15-20 points. The teams at CoC were leaving points all over the table. I thought BS just looked really awkward in their basic skating--they look like they're kind of leaning and lunging toward each other. Not sure if that's a problem with their technique or just the choreography of this particular program, but I was not impressed. PB seem to have a nice program, but they also seem very slow (at least they did on the video I watched on my computer), and they got docked some serious GOE on their lift. Chock-Bates had some small errors that make me wonder about their prospects for making the US team. Aldridge and Eaton had a nice senior GP debut. They just need some time and seasoning.

That said, I think the fight for the bronze medal at Sochi will be very interesting. Right now, I'd say WP would ordinarily have a really good shot, based on their SC performance, but I'm not sure if an all-North American podium will be "allowed" at the Games.

Thoughts, anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Aren't they? DJ looks to be some kind of schnauzer mix, and I'm wildly biased toward schnauzers, since I'm kind of the co-parent of one. Love, love, love!

vCash
    The Kellogg's campaign with its Winter Olympians has started. For each "sharing" of links, Kelloggs will feed a child in need.

Here's the youtube link to a too cute for words Meryl & Charlie video. I didn't know that they competed at and won LPIDC in whatever their initial group was the first year they teamed up. There's video of their first day skating.

#GreatStartsMerylandCharlie

Here's Charlie's tweet about it

Hey- Don't forget to use the hashtag #GreatStartsMerylCharlie or watch our Start Story. Helps us feed kids in need! http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html
    Here's where you can find the info on the Great Starts program

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html#athletes

For Meryl and Charlie's stuff, click on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. Week View Post
    After watching the top 4 short dances at Cup of China, I went back and watched MC's SKAM SD. They are so far ahead of the other teams it's not even funny. If they were at COC, they'd probably be in the lead by about 15-20 points. The teams at CoC were leaving points all over the table. I thought BS just looked really awkward in their basic skating--they look like they're kind of leaning and lunging toward each other. Not sure if that's a problem with their technique or just the choreography of this particular program, but I was not impressed. PB seem to have a nice program, but they also seem very slow (at least they did on the video I watched on my computer), and they got docked some serious GOE on their lift. Chock-Bates had some small errors that make me wonder about their prospects for making the US team. Aldridge and Eaton had a nice senior GP debut. They just need some time and seasoning.

That said, I think the fight for the bronze medal at Sochi will be very interesting. Right now, I'd say WP would ordinarily have a really good shot, based on their SC performance, but I'm not sure if an all-North American podium will be "allowed" at the Games.

Thoughts, anyone?
    I'm going to start on a bright note by saying Nathalie and Madison looked so incredibly beautiful. I mean this is a pretty attractive group of ice dancers, but these two take the cake with hair and costumes and all.

Now B/S...I don't even know where to start with these two. Watching them skate actually makes me angry, knowing that they're probably going to win bronze. They're tall and they should be working their lines, instead they have the worst carriage of all the top teams, and even many of the second tier teams. I can't even care about what's going on in their feet, all I can see is the poor execution in their upper bodies. I don't know if they need off ice dance training, can someone call Hough, or if they're weak in their basic skating skills and they have to spend to much of their focus on it...I don't know, it's just bad and it's not Olympic medal worthy. The twizzles, fail. No speed in that lift. They remind of singles skaters who are often described as flailing, iykwim. They don't skate with the quality ice dancers usually bring.

C/B...yes they made mistakes and it's clear they disappointed the commentators, but I don't think they ruined their chances of making the Olympic team. For one I believe they made mistakes because they stepped up their level of difficulty, so they're having some growing pains. It was time and since I'm a bit biased, I do think they can rise to the challenge. Secondly, and this is quite unfortunate, I think the judges prefer them to H/D. Whether it's because of who their coach is or not, they have that advantage. I really hate this cause I do believe who ever skates best should win. In addition, H/D have had made major mistakes in both their grand prixs. It definitely sucked for them to have both SA and SC, it left no room to breathe or for improvement. I think if C/B skate better their next run out, they'll be in the lead.

P/B I liked the performance. I liked their finnstep, it looked good to me, but their speed and depth of edge on the midline is killing it. I don't think they have the athlectism to really compete with this era. They seem bit slow and sloppy is some parts and history tells me they won't improve on that.

As of right now W/P look the best for bronze. They have the best scores, by about 7 points, but a NA sweep in Russia probably won't happen. They'll give the bronze to C/P first, if giving it B/S proves to be controversial. Either way, I think the fair fight for bronze is between W/P and C/P. Nothing B/S have put out there makes me think their upward momentum is anything but politics. I don't even know where to put P/B, they're not scoring as well as W/P or C/P so far, but they're scoring a smidge better than the Shibs...something tells me that will be the story come the Olympics.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Now B/S...I don't even know where to start with these two. Watching them skate actually makes me angry, knowing that they're probably going to win bronze. They're tall and they should be working their lines, instead they have the worst carriage of all the top teams, and even many of the second tier teams. I can't even care about what's going on in their feet, all I can see is the poor execution in their upper bodies. I don't know if they need off ice dance training, can someone call Hough, or if they're weak in their basic skating skills and they have to spend to much of their focus on it...I don't know, it's just bad and it's not Olympic medal worthy. The twizzles, fail. No speed in that lift. They remind of singles skaters who are often described as flailing, iykwim. They don't skate with the quality ice dancers usually bring.
    ITA. B/S's lines and postures are so very terrible I actually have no idea what the heck they're doing among world's top teams. I quietly hope I/K will surpass them by the time of Russian nationals and become Russia's #1. If they do, ironically a no medal for Russia in dance is going to get more probable than with B/S being #1.
    I think I/K are a wonderful team, but it is not their time yet. Just wait for 2018, though, I am sure they will shine then.

P/B are such a great team and I would love them to win that bronze. If they address their weaknesses, they might. They still have far superior skating skills to B/S and maybe even W/P. Yes, they did look sloppy this time, but they might eliminate it. And we're still to see their FD.

yes, W/P scored big last week, but don't forget they were at home. C/L scored great too and they didn't have the home ice advantage, so everything is possible between these teams.
    Wanna see P/B's score against V/M and I/K when they are home.

If anything can be said about the battle for bronze at this point is that it should be just as fascinating and probably even more exciting than the battle for gold.

All in all, we're in for an AMAZING dance competition in Sochi. Probably the best of all Olys I've seen so far.

They'll give the bronze to C/P first, if giving it B/S proves to be controversial. Either way, I think the fair fight for bronze is between W/P and C/P. Nothing B/S have put out there makes me think their upward momentum is anything but politics. I don't even know where to put P/B, they're not scoring as well as W/P or C/P so far, but they're scoring a smidge better than the Shibs...something tells me that will be the story come the Olympics.
    You mean C/L, right?

I would agree that if Russian teams are off the podium, they would rather give the bronze to any Europeans (C/L most likely, maybe P/B) than to W/P and let it be a North American sweep. But I've been wrong before.

vCash
    Whoops, yeah I meant C/L. How did I miss that through the entire post, too many abbreviations!

I/K annoy me like no other. There was so much hype around them and they've been such a complete flop. It just doesn't seem like they train very hard. They're just really pretty people on the ice without a whole lot of substance in their skating. It's like whatever is going on in their personal life is taking precedence. It's not a lot of team's time right now, but the rising crop still seems to be trying, even if they don't quite hit the nail on the head...I don't get that feeling from them.

I actually think Russia was caught off guard with dance. I don't think they thought they'd have to push for B/S is to be #1. I think they fully intended I/K to be their team after they gained some experience coming off of juniors. Russia won't let I/K surpass B/S because it would be even more obvious than it already is that a Russian is set for bronze. They can't propel them that many spots internationally without some WTFs...though B/S are a pretty big shock so maybe they can.

I think the top teams skate pretty well no matter where they are, especially when you consider that P/B and C/L train in the US. I know home crowd support is a bolster, but I don't think it changes things that much for these guys. V/M and M/C light it up everywhere, so maybe I've just gotten used to that.

vCash
    After watching CoC, I think it's safe to say that D/W and V/M only have each other to worry about.

I'm concerned about Evan and Madison, though, they have a lot of work to do if they want to go to Sochi.

vCash
    Re C&B, not as much work as that. They just have to fix the SD and add some speed & power to the FD. The CoC tech panel was just brutal on Finnstep levels with all the teams.

vCash
    If I'm calculating the time difference correctly (big if), ice dance is going to be on at a fairly reasonable time next weekend. Figuring in the end of daylight saving, it looks like both the SD and FD will start around 10:00 PM EST on Friday and Saturday nights. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So much better than having to set an alarm for 3:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    If I'm calculating the time difference correctly (big if), ice dance is going to be on at a fairly reasonable time next weekend. Figuring in the end of daylight saving, it looks like both the SD and FD will start around 10:00 PM EST on Friday and Saturday nights. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So much better than having to set an alarm for 3:30 AM.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2...013_nhk_trophy

vCash
    Yay for watchable times!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Yay for watchable times!
    Double joy for watchable times! I'll be away next weekend, but I'll be watching thanks to my trusty tablet.

Doris, Jessiebanana, and mia joy, you all make great points about CoC. I hope CB can fix their levels by Nationals. I never thought I'd see the day when I said it's a pity the US "only" has 3 ice dance spots. I like some of the things HD do, but it would be a shame to leave Madison Chock at home for the Olympics.

vCash
    Yes!

No school next Friday and I get to watch the SD & FD at 9:00 instead of 3am!

Double win!!

vCash

vCash

vCash
    That is super cute!

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast