Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Shibs family highly value education and I can see them retiring from skating to devote themselves exclusively to school and the full college experience. Maia would be an awesome sorority girl don't ya think?

vCash
    Another thought that popped into my head is would the Shibutanis ever consider skating for Japan? If so, I could see Japan coming on strong for the next Olympics Team Gold Medal. They're already working on their pair team.

vCash
    Interesting thought. Take a year off then compete for Japan. But would the USFSA release them? Doubtful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Interesting thought. Take a year off then compete for Japan. But would the USFSA release them? Doubtful.
    If skaters are citizens of the country they want to skate for, they do NOT need any kind of a release from a former federation. However, Alex is no longer a Japanese citizen. Japan only allows dual citizenship until 22.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Wouldn't Alex have citizenship issues? I think he is past the decision age. Is relinquishing permanent? If they can't go to the Olympics there is little reason to leave the US.

I think they'll stay #2 or #3 in the US for a number of years though. Why country hop?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    The Shibs family highly value education and I can see them retiring from skating to devote themselves exclusively to school and the full college experience. Maia would be an awesome sorority girl don't ya think?
    Meryl lived in the sorority house for a time. Even though she is taking the long road to graduation.

vCash
    I don't feel that US ice dance is ready for M/C to retire. C/B do generic programs and look mismatched. H/D may have the most potential but aren't even close to M/C's level. The Shibs, my favorites, are in a hole. I really hope M/C will stay on a couple more years while the younger teams acquire more creativity and competitive fire. Those two can continue to be pathbreakers - there is no reason to think they are done developing.

ETA: I hate it when people advise US skaters to skate for other countries. The Shibs are all American. I can definitely see Japan trying to "buy" them but hands off! They are ours!

vCash
    I'd love for Davis/White to stick around, but I also feel like if they don't retire, the younger teams aren't going to have an opportunity to develop themselves internationally. On one hand, clearly the top 3-4 teams have earned the right to first choice of all the Senior B's, Four C's and Worlds, in addition to earned Grand Prix's, but that does leave precious few events for those trying to grab the attention of international judges. With the ridiculous limitations on Grand Prix entries and the lack of Senior B's in North America, it's difficult for those teams to get minimums and season's best scores once they move up to senior.

vCash
    Regards the Shibutanis and switching countries, it was just a thought is all, as anybody that knows me knows that I'm a patriot first and foremost and would hate to see them leave the USA. That said, sometimes sacrifices are necessary for the greater good (e.g. Marina Anissina uprooting herself and moving to France to find a partner; Caitlin Yankowskas moving to the UK, etc.). Not only that I bet Japan would pay big $$$ to have such a dance team to represent them at the next Olympic Team Competition. It would give them a fighting chance at gold. jmho.

Anyhow, it's all moot now, as Max is 22 yrs. old (won't turn 23 till April). Sayonara Japan. :

vCash
    Maia and Alex switching to rep Japan would not help their international results. The only reason I could see it happening would be the distant hope that 4 years down the line they could help Japan get a team medal at the next Olympics. This will be their 4th year in a row at Worlds. They haven't had trouble with exposure (the judges just aren't liking what they are seeing, apparently).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    I'd love for Davis/White to stick around, but I also feel like if they don't retire, the younger teams aren't going to have an opportunity to develop themselves internationally. On one hand, clearly the top 3-4 teams have earned the right to first choice of all the Senior B's, Four C's and Worlds, in addition to earned Grand Prix's, but that does leave precious few events for those trying to grab the attention of international judges. With the ridiculous limitations on Grand Prix entries and the lack of Senior B's in North America, it's difficult for those teams to get minimums and season's best scores once they move up to senior.
    Very good point. I'd like to see D/W move on from competitive skating and (along with other top level post-Olympics retirees) reshape the state of professional skating. There is a need for new blood and creativity in that realm.

vCash
    article about Chock and Bates, published on 2/15: For ice dancers Madison Chock and Evan Bates, it was a case of perfect timing
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014021...ng-chock-bates

vCash
    I think skaters should retire when they want to. Especially skaters in the peak condition of Meryl and Charlie. I never understand why so many fans feel the need to push skaters into retirement. It is a risk for them to try to maintain and defend - look at Tessa and Scott. The others can get better by chasing them. In terms of media and audience interest, it is certainly a plus for US ice dancing to have the OGMs stay on the scene. And if Meryl and Charlie can singlehandedly revive professional skating in the US, I will eat my snow boots.

vCash
    Regardless of what the Shibutani's decide as far as their competitive skating careers are concerned, they seem destined to have many exciting options in their future, regardless of what they do. Clearly, they made quite a positive impression on just about every person they interacted with in Sochi beyond the world of skating. Good for them for making the most of their Olympic experience. As the writer says, it is a rare thing to have the maturity, character and wherewithal to actually do this.

NBC Olympics: Despite no medal, Shibutani Siblings 'win' by making most of Olympic Experience
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/desp...e?ctx=team-usa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Regardless of what the Shibutani's decide as far as their competitive skating careers are concerned, they seem destined to have many exciting options in their future, regardless of what they do. Clearly, they made quite a positive impression on just about every person they interacted with in Sochi beyond the world of skating. Good for them for making the most of their Olympic experience. As the writer says, it is a rare thing to have the maturity, character and wherewithal to actually do this.

NBC Olympics: Despite no medal, Shibutani Siblings 'win' by making most of Olympic Experience
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/desp...e?ctx=team-usa
    Thanks for the link. That is just an awesome article and made me tear up (and I thought I was done crying over skating)

vCash
    Oh gosh. That article is the coolest thing ever. (Sorry, couldnt resist.) Yay for Maia and Alex.

vCash
    I really love their attitudes. No matter what happens on the ice, I know they will at least have a healthy outlook on their skating career. They have already made waves thanks to their social media skills, and I know they're the type of people who will be successful in their future endeavors. I don't want them to retire, but if they do, at least I know they made the most of their skating experience.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    US World Team:
    Chock/Bates
    Shibs
    Aldridge/Eaton
    Lynn/Logan alternates

Will be so weird not to see Meryl and Charlie at Worlds! Does anyone have an update on Hubbell/Donohue? They were 1st alternates so I am guessing this means Madison is still hurting.

vCash
    I'm very sad for Maddy and Zach that they are missing this opportunity to expand on their great showing at WCCs at Worlds, but it's probably wise for her to get her injury taken care of and have lots of good training time for next season.

Thrilled for Aldrich and Eaton, sad for Lynn and Logan. As always in US ice dance, wish there were more spots.

vCash
    Will be close to retain 3 spots, but C/B and the Shibs should be able to barely do it with 6th and 7th.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast