Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 245
  1. #81
    Cruder than you thought
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    All choked up
    Posts
    19,147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15406
    Cannuscio and McManus are unique and very enjoyable and good competitors, IMO. I'm glad they're committed to continuing, and wish them success in formulating a plan that helps take them to greater heights.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,391
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2563
    I wonder if we will see teams 2 and 3 to move up in their pecking order to the top and then stay there before they peel off over a bunch more of years, say after the next Os. I think it's safe to say that Davis and White will retire. Does that mean Chock and Bates will jump into #1 and the Shibs will move to #2 (weren't they there before C/B got together?). I am unclear about whether or not Hubbell and Donohue will stay in, but hope they remain and can duke it out with the Shibs, I see so much strength and style in H/D, to me they have a much more sophisticated and international flair than others. Although I don't know much about Aldridge and Eaton, I think they possibly could skip up on the strength of their junior career. Who knows what's really going to happen in the next cycle with any one of the four skating disciplines, but dance is the most predictable, and I kind of wish it wasn't. It might be fun to go to Greensboro just in hopes of some rearranging of the placements.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    414
    Hubbell/Donahue have said that they're definitely continuing

  4. #84
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    14,932
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15984
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Cannuscio and McManus are unique and very enjoyable and good competitors, IMO. I'm glad they're committed to continuing, and wish them success in formulating a plan that helps take them to greater heights.
    Another fan of CanMan. They have a really nice dancey quality to their skating.

    I think Chock and Bates will move into the #1 slot, but I think the rest of the podium is up for grabs. Even though Hubbell and Donohoe and the Shibutanis are the most likely contenders for the next slots, the field is deep and I think other teams could challenge, including a team like Hayawek and Baker if they test up.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,304
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    5734
    I love Can/Man! I was hoping they would continue.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    71
    Count me in as another C/M fan! It's difficult for a team to break out from that middle pack and I'll be rooting for them to achieve the goals they pursue. I just hope that USFS will spread the wealth in their international assignments as they head into the next quad.

    I also think it has really hurt some teams that the numbers for the GP were reduced and wish they would return to 10 spots. From a personal point of view, I don't even look at 6-8 competitors as much of an event.

  7. #87
    AYS's snark-sponge
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    in the Bobrova & Soloviev Fan Clubhouse
    Posts
    41,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15900
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    ...

    I also think it has really hurt some teams that the numbers for the GP were reduced and wish they would return to 10 spots. From a personal point of view, I don't even look at 6-8 competitors as much of an event.
    ^^This!! Its such a shame.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Who knows what's really going to happen in the next cycle with any one of the four skating disciplines, but dance is the most predictable, and I kind of wish it wasn't. It might be fun to go to Greensboro just in hopes of some rearranging of the placements.
    I agree with this and also hope that there can be some movement in the placements.

    H/D were so close to the Shibs this season and as long as Madison's surgery and recovery are successful, they have a very good chance of overtaking them. Pasquale and his team have done a terrific job of developing H/D both in terms of using their strengths and in planning their programs. While I admire the Shibs skating skills and this foray into Michael Jackson proved successful (I'm not a huge fan of the program but after the amount of money they must have spent on it, I'm glad it worked for them), I think that Zoueva will need to think outside the box for future programs or, yes, we might see A/E closing in on them sooner than expected.

    I'm also wondering about the remaining teams. Everyone is assuming K/G-S are retiring even though it hasn't been announced and now we know C/M are continuing. What about Aronow/Brubaker and Cannuscio/Bramante?

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,760
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    article about D/W and the Shibs "Balancing Act" about balancing skating and eduction
    http://www.usatodayeducate.com/stagi...lass-education

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,760
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  11. #91

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2662
    Hawayek/Baker should move up next season. I see them top 5 at least, probably higher. If McNamara/Carpenter can win a junior worlds medal, I can imagine them moving up too. They've been juniors for 4 years now. I'm glad Cannuscio/McManus are staying together. I absolutely hate to say it, but I imagine they will have trouble (at least politically) moving up unless they go to one of the Detroit coaches. I feel like this last season was such a letdown for Lynn and Logan. I don't even see what, if anything, Igor did for them or their skating (although I'm sure her injury was a big factor).

  12. #92
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,860
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    14817
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I feel like this last season was such a letdown for Lynn and Logan. I don't even see what, if anything, Igor did for them or their skating (although I'm sure her injury was a big factor).
    Well, for one thing, I think their speed was VASTLY improved under Igor, which I think was a great improvement.

    Sadly for them she was injured his season, and politically with Lynn and Logan retiring after this season (I presume) and Alredge/Eaton making a good splash in their senior GPs, politically there was no way they would be moving up in the ranks.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    90
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think McNamara/Carpenter should stay one more season in juniors. Stepanova/Bukin are back for Junior Worlds so it will be very difficult for both US ice dancers to pull out two medal there.

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,760
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Detroit TV report on D/W and the Shibs:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports...z/-/index.html

  15. #95
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,230
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19676
    I love how C/M dance their programs. They're in that difficult spot, transitioning from juniors to seniors without making that big hop that teams like the Shibs did, with a world medal, and Chock/Bates. They had another obstacle in the Olympic year: normally, the US would have been able to send two teams to Nebelhorn, based on Nebelhorn 2012 results, but when it's an Olympic qualifier, there has to be an exception to get more than one spot, except for Germany, the host.

    I'm glad they're continuing to try to break into the next echelon.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1475
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Hawayek/Baker should move up next season. I see them top 5 at least, probably higher. If McNamara/Carpenter can win a junior worlds medal, I can imagine them moving up too. They've been juniors for 4 years now. I'm glad Cannuscio/McManus are staying together. I absolutely hate to say it, but I imagine they will have trouble (at least politically) moving up unless they go to one of the Detroit coaches. I feel like this last season was such a letdown for Lynn and Logan. I don't even see what, if anything, Igor did for them or their skating (although I'm sure her injury was a big factor).
    Depends on if they want to stay junior internationally. Learning two SDs in one season is the deal breaker. Based on the fact that Hawayek and Baker are aging out of juniors, they will almost for sure go senior (At nationals, they said that they would wait and see what happens with the age change, but that was a done deal, so they will not be junior eligible next year).

    McNamara and Carpenter have two more seasons of eligibility. JW medal or not, they commented at nationals that they were staying junior. Why wouldn't they want to win the US Junior title AND have an even better JGP?
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,760
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jason Brown has made Riverdance popular again. Made me want to re-visit Aldridge and Eaton's 2012 Jr World performance of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6eeErisqMc

  18. #98

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2662
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    McNamara and Carpenter have two more seasons of eligibility. JW medal or not, they commented at nationals that they were staying junior. Why wouldn't they want to win the US Junior title AND have an even better JGP?
    Ok, I didn't know if they had decided, although 5 years in juniors seems a bit much (I know they were very young when they moved from novice to junior). It seems that most dancers usually wait until they age out of juniors internationally to move up, but some have success just jumping up and gaining senior experience while still teenagers.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Ok, I didn't know if they had decided, although 5 years in juniors seems a bit much (I know they were very young when they moved from novice to junior). It seems that most dancers usually wait until they age out of juniors internationally to move up, but some have success just jumping up and gaining senior experience while still teenagers.
    Internationally, however, they've only been in juniors for two seasons due to age (McNamara was too young for Jr. Worlds in 2012).

    The 2014-2015 season will be their their third internationally at the junior level. McNamara/Carpenter will be 16/19 if they enter seniors in the 2015-2016 season, which is the same ages Maia and Alex Shibutani were in their senior debut. (It's worth noting the Shibutanis also were in juniors for three years in the U.S. (two internationally) before they moved up to the senior level).

    2018 is going be even more of a bloodbath I feel like with Chock/Bates, Shibutanis and Hubbell/Donahue still in the mix along with Aldridge/Eaton, Cannusco/McManus, Hawayek/Baker, McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons, Moore/Klaber, maybe even Lewis/Bye. (Of course a lot can change in four years...)
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Baker will age out of international junior dance this season (2014), because the max age for male partner has been lowered to 20. Hawayek/Baker may get GP assignments depending on their placement at Junior Worlds.

    The 3 Wheaton junior teams, McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, and Pogrebinsky/Gudis all have at least 2 more seasons of eligibility for ISU JGP (the boys will not turn 20 until after July 1, 2015).

    Of the novice medalists, Gigi Becker is too young to qualify for JGP, but both Gropman/Somerville and Feng/Ponomarenko will be >13 by July 1. Hope to see them assigned.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 01-28-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •