Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

vCash
    Haven't they been getting choreography elsewhere, though? They've worked with those DWTS people this season on their SD and Michael Jackson's choreographers for their FD. The season prior, they worked with a DWTS person and the choreographer who worked on the film Memoirs of a Geisha. Are those people just collaborators with Marina being the main choreographer?

Maybe they need less outside dance folk and get some choreographers who know how to choreograph on the ice.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I'm glad they're continuing. I always had a soft spot for them. Still, I wish they would go to a different coach/choreographer. However, moving out of Michigan would mean a lot of sacrifices that maybe they don't want to make and that's ok.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    All those people are just collaborators. Read the icenetwork article about the MJ people. They taught the Shibs movement and feeling, but know nothing about ice dancing. Marina puts together the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe they need less outside dance folk and get some choreographers who know how to choreograph on the ice.
    I think almost all top level teams work with ballroom dancers at least in the SD to help them get the character of the dance. My issue with their FD this year was all the posing and hopping around. Eys, I get that's MJ, but the Shibs' main strengths IMO are their skating skills and flow across the ice. Why would anyone pick a FD that takes all the focus away from that is beyond me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I think almost all top level teams work with ballroom dancers at least in the SD to help them get the character of the dance. My issue with their FD this year was all the posing and hopping around. Eys, I get that's MJ, but the Shibs' main strengths IMO are their skating skills and flow across the ice. Why would anyone pick a FD that takes all the focus away from that is beyond me.
    Didn't they already try something less hoppy and more skate-y like that the last couple seasons? And it still got them nowhere. I am beginning to think it might not be all the program's fault, although it may have been a factor.

I don't know if they need a skating coach, a technical coach, or some kind of additional coaching to address their technical issues.

vCash
    Great news that they are in it for another four years! That said, they do need a new approach. I wish them loads of success!

vCash
    While I don't want them to stop doing what they love, I think that one day Kim Navarro and Brent Bommentre could be amazing coaches. I also wonder what Charlie White and Tanith Belbin could do together? (I'm not considering Meryl because I know that she is going to fall off the face of the earth, and then one day materialize in a National Geographic issue as making a huge discovery in an archaeological dig.)
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post

And good news for all the Shibs fans, in the IN recap article they confirmed they will remain with Zoueva and compete next season!!
    In the opinion of one Shibs fan, that they will compete next season is good news. That they will remain with Zoueva is not.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The family has moved around the country when Alex and Maia were growing up to pursue the best coaching. I think they moved to Michigan from Colorado Springs to train with Igor/Marina as soon as Igor/Marina decided they were advanced enough or had enough potential to take them on (2008?). School, I would imagine, comes a very distant second.
    They were younger then, and now they're paying in-state tuition at one of the best schools in the country. They move, and school becomes a lot more expensive.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    How far along are Maia and Alex in school now? I know they don't go full time, but what's the current projection of how long they need to stay in MI?

vCash
    Maia is what? 19 until July? and never went to school full time? At least 4 years, I would think.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 03-30-2014 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    I didn't realize she was so young. Probably means they won't be leaving Mich.

vCash
    ISU Season Best Total scores in 2013-14 & ISU World Standings ranking after 2014 Worlds:

1 195.52 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 [ISU World Standings rank #1]
    8 167.59 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU World Championships 2014 [WS 8]
    10 158.57 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA ISU World Championships 2014 [WS 12]
    11 158.25 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2014 [WS 9]
    12 157.12 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU World Junior Championships 2014 [WS 29]
    22 144.95 Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2014 [WS 22]
    28 138.53 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU World Junior Championships 2014 [WS 36]
    35 134.73 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA ISU JGP Czech Skate 2013 [WS 49]
    43 130.05 Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT / Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2014 [WS 27]
    52 127.74 Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER USA ISU JGP Tallinn Cup 2013 [WS 68]
    57 122.92 Elliana POGREBINSKY / Ross GUDIS USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2013 [WS 72]
    83 104.32 Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA ISU JGP Mexico Cup 2013 [WS 108]
    90 98.93 Tory PATSIS / Joseph JOHNSON USA ISU JGP Minsk 2013 [WS 125; SPLIT after Nationals]

Also:
    Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (7th at Nationals; 8th at Salt Lake Sr B & won Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria) [WS 63]
    Anastasia Olson/Ian Lorello (8th at Nationals; have yet to compete internationally)
    Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker (9th at Nationals; 13th at Salt Lake Sr B)
    Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov (10th at Nationals; have yet to compete internationally)
    Danielle Gamelin/Alexander Gamelin (12th at Nationals; did not compete internationally)
    Madeline Heritage/Nathaniel Fast (13th at Nationals; did not compete internationally) [WS 97]

Split after Nationals (11th place): Isabella Cannuscio/Michael Bramante (he is listed on IPS)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-30-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia!!

It is going to be exciting next season as they jockey for "top dog" status. While Chock/Bates seem to have a slight lead in points, they are only 1 spot ahead of Hubbell/donohue. Now I see why C/B are rumored to be by-passing the show circuit and starting to train for next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    First, I am just happy they are continuing. I really like them!! I think a factor in how long they stick with Marina will be if they truly become her #1 team. After playing second fiddle to D/W and V/M (even though the Shibs seem to really be friends with both teams), if Marina gains a world ranked team and once again the Shibs are backburnered, that might rankle them enough to leave her.
    The question is who really good could they go to and be the #1 team if someone better comes on board with Zoueva (say I&K). Camerlengo and Sphilband are out. So is Zhulin. The Lanes would probably treat Gilles & Poirier as their #1 even if the Shibutanis came now that their world results are close, and the Lanes are like parents to Poirier.

vCash
    Thinking of the Shibutani's ages though they could be around for 2 more Olympic cycles. At the 2022 Olympics Alex would only be 31. I wonder if that is their plan, and how much they can achieve in that time. They are still the youngest team in the top 10, slightly younger than I&K and G&P.

vCash
    I really hope the Shibs do well, but I can't see them having much of an upward trajectory if they stay where they are. If they've only fallen in World standings since 2011 under Marina, I can't imagine how that'll change if they stay with her. I see them being left behind by C/B and H/D, and by the next Olympics, perhaps even Hawayek/Baker or another rising junior team. I love their style and I think they're beautiful skaters, but Marina doesn't seem to know how to coach a brother/sister pair, and there are other teams rising the ranks that have been having a more consistent upward progress.

vCash
    Their 6th at worlds was their best in years, and if we assume P&B gone, maybe I&K retired, and maybe C&L gone, even Bobrova & Soloviev returning puts them in 4th or 5th next year. Granted it is by default with teams retiring, but it is still progresing up and back to medal contention again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanoverrated View Post
    Their 6th at worlds was their best in years, and if we assume P&B gone, maybe I&K retired, and maybe C&L gone, even Bobrova & Soloviev returning puts them in 4th or 5th next year. Granted it is by default with teams retiring, but it is still progresing up and back to medal contention again.
    But they didn't beat any teams that they lost to in Sochi. They would have been 9th at Worlds if D/W, V/M and B/S competed. If recent history is our guide, more teams will continue to pass them. The wait-it-out game isn't really applicable with this team, especially when you consider that in 2011 they beat every team they lost to at these World Championships (save Chock/Bates, who weren't partnered yet).

vCash
    Interview with junior world champions Hawayek and Baker (scroll down): http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/01/70598284

Also published today in the "Inside Edge" blog:
    Congratulations to former U.S. and world junior dance champion Greg Zuerlein, who married Philippe Maitrot on March 28 in Maryland, outside Washington, D.C.

Zuerlein, who won his titles with former partner Madison Chock, is now coaching in Novi, Mich., alongside Igor Shpilband. Maitrot, a former international dance judge for France, is on the ISU synchronized skating committee. The couple lives in Northville, Mich.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Congratulations to Greg and his new husband!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast