vCash

Margaret Garrison Ice Show (Central Ontario Section) - reports, photos, etc.

Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill were supposed to perform publicly one last time in Brampton last night. Copied over from the Asher Hill thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by googooeyes View Post
    Asher And Kharis did not skate in the Margaret Garrison show. It was announced that they withdrew because Kharis was ill. Asher skated in all his group numbers however and did a great job. He was also at the autograph table for the fan line up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    I was there!! Very sad that Asher and Kharis didn't skate - it was one of the main reasons I went (I'm working at a dane competition this weekend so my friend and I drove down from Huntsville for the show), but what can you do. It was still a nice with lots of fabulous skaters! I hope Kharis feels better soon! Asher was paired with Lauren Collins for the dance group number & they actually looked really good together. That pairing probably wont happen, but if it ever did, I would not be upset. I will be sorting through photos tonight and getting "sneak peeks" posted (probably on Flickr) soon!
    Thanks for sharing your first batch of photos, Daniskates93! https://www.flickr.com/photos/242916...7644668983363/

Here's a video of Nam Nguyen's performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZoSc6sPTo

ETA: Hope skatingfan04 doesn't mind me copying over her positive review of Paul/Islam's new exhibition number from the P/I fan thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post

I apologize if this comes across scattered, because I literally just got home from the show, but I want to get my thoughts down before I forget things.

The show overall was fantastic, but I'll focus on P/I. They skated a knockout program to "I Wanna Be Loved By You," with Alexandra wearing the most gorgeous black dress. And they nailed it. They were relaxed, playful, flirtatious and perfectly suited to the style. Honestly, I was surprised, because playful and flirtatious was not something I expected them to excel at, but it worked SO well. For those of you wanting Mitch to take a more active role in the performance, you'll love this number. I think he definitely found a niche with this style, and Alex was right there with him. They locked eyes at the beginning of the number and never took their eyes off one another again (unless necessary). What a great way to showcase their chemistry. And, of course, their lines were stunning and their elements smooth as ever. The program was a dance, full of footwork and intricate nuances. Honestly, it was such a treat. I'm so glad I saw it! I'll stop gushing now...
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Here is my post from the Paul/Islam thread:

"I was lucky enough to see this new number, too, and I also second everything that skatingfan04 said. Very much looking forward to your photos, Daniskates93, thank you!!

It was steamy but classy, mature yet adorable... just perfection. I'm laughing that we just had a conversation here about their expression, because I must say even I was slightly taken aback at how perfectly at home they seemed in this type of number. I've never been a huge fan of the song, but my disappointment lasted only a few seconds because I was immediately captivated. The program contained their straightline and curve lift from this year's FD, and lots of the wonderful in-hold moments from both programs, as well as some of their classic romantic moves from previous programs. Their connection was just stunning, and honestly, I am so proud of them for trying something a little new! They absolutely nailed it. Cute, sexy, very confident but sophisticated. And I should also put in a word about their actual skating, because their ice coverage was insanely good, the program flowed beautifully. They were very warmly received too, which was nice to hear

I'll also say a little bit about the group number they were in, choreographed by David Islam. It said "Caribbean" in the program, and then David tweeted that the theme was "Havana Nights". It was supposed to have P/I, G/P, R/H, Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour, Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham, Megan Koenig-Croft/Jake Richardson, Ekaterina Fedyushenko/Kaelen Dunker, Priya Ramesh/Brandon Labelle. I *think* what happened is that Danny's new partner, Yasmeen Jong, was the substitute, but she skated with Danny and Lauren skated with Asher. (Kharis was sick, if you haven't already read that elsewhere. I was very disappointed not to see them skate one last time, hope she feels better soon.) All the guys were in simple black, and Alex was wearing her Rumba SD dress. Some of it seemed a bit inspired by their SD, which was fun to see, it was such a lovely program, but that season was so riddled by disaster. Some really fun moments, and G/P and P/I did one side of the rumba pattern together. I think the music was Besame Mucho (?) and definitely Mujer Latina at the end. Man, can Alex Paul move!! And Mitch was great too. Honestly, they sold this number so well, too. The take away from this night was that they absolutely excelled at playful, flirty numbers, to steal some adjectives from skatingfan04. What a great night!! "

A recap of the rest of the evening, with the music that I recognized filled in:

PJ Kwong was there as a co-announcer, so I suspect we might get some interviews like in past years. Theme was "Exploring our Cultures".

A very confusing beginning with no skating to the Huron Carol - I didn't get the purpose of that.

A large "Italy" group number - the only one I recognized was Gabrielle Daleman (you'll have to forgive me, I'm much more of an ice dance fan than anything, so I may not have recognized others.)

Megan Koenig-Croft & Jake Richardson - I *think* this was their FD from this year? Nice job.

Gold Ice Elementary Synchro Team - skated to a medley that included "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf

"Austria" Group number by Starskate Athlete Award Nominees - Overture from Sound of Music

Jordyn Harper - Boogie Shoes - She had the only pair of boot covers I think I've ever liked, pink sparkly running shoes. Cute program.

"Thailand" Group number featuring tiny adorable CanSkater Nominees partnered up with Program Assistant Nominees - "The March of the Royal Siamese Children" from the King and I

Zachary Dalemen - a medley that included "Smooth" by Matchbox 20 and Santana

Alexandra Najarro - the Spanish version of "All by Myself" by Celine Dion

"China" group number, Primary Stars (adorable!) - a medley that included the China Dance from the Nutcracker

Roman Sadovsky - Stairway to Heaven - really enjoyed him, very fluid skater and nice musicality

Adult skaters - "Bollywood" - included one of the songs from D/W's OD

France - Ruth Phillips Award Winners - Conrad Orzel, Helen Carle, Olivia Boys-Eddy/Mackenzie Boys-Eddy (so cute! very impressive for such a tiny team), Victoria Oliver/George Waddell

Andrei Rogozine - seemed to be a naval inspired number

Ralph/Hill - cancelled due to illness - very disappointing!

Group number with flags representing all the skating clubs in COS - the Expo 67 Ontario song

Intermission

Dance group number (see above)

Madelyn Dunley

"Spain" group number including Nam, Andrei, Roman, Zachary Daleman and Denis Margalik

"Greece" group number by COS Starskate team

Hannah Whitley/ Elliot Graham - I Want to Hold Your Hand (TV Carpio version) - lovely program, really enjoyed them!

"Sweden" group number by Special Olympians - ABBA Medley

Denis Magalik - Japanese Martial Arts theme

"Australia" group by Future Champions - Waltzing Matilda

Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier - Would You by Touch and Go - Their usual cheeky style, disco/go-go type theme to it. Lots of lifts, with mishaps on a couple of them. One had to be aborted, and a headbanger went a little awry, although thankfully she only scraped her shoulder (per a tweet of hers) rather than her head.

Novice Synergy Synchro Team - Roller Derby Saved My Soul

Portugal Group Number by Ontario Winter Games participants

Nam Nguyen - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? by Chicago - What a great entertainer! And very nice triple jumps to boot (I *think* there was a triple axel, but again, I am no singles expert)

Alex Paul/Mitch Islam - I Wanna Be Loved By You - Just gorgeous and so much fun (see above for details)

Gabrielle Daleman - Pure Imagination by Glee - very nice

Finale - no skating - poem reading, anthem singing, and some flower presentations, and a final bow by the skaters
    Last edited by canadablue; 05-12-2014 at 01:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canadablue View Post
    Nam Nguyen - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? by Chicago - What a great entertainer! And very nice triple jumps to boot (I *think* there was a triple axel, but again, I am no singles expert)
    Nguyen's jumps were 3S, 3A, 3F, 3Lo - fun number for him! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZoSc6sPTo

Thanks so much for your very detailed report!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for transferring my review over!

As for the rest of the show, I must say it was extremely well done.

Nam Nguyen was fun as always. Tons of personality, and a lovely triple axel.

Roman Sadovsky stood out for me. He's just mesmerizing to watch, and moves with an ease that a lot of ice dancers would kill for. Definately a kid to watch!

I was so pleased to see Alexandra Najarro again after her injury. She skated so softly and elegantly, with so much expression.

Gabby Daleman skated her EX from this year's nationals, and it was lots of fun. Her jumps are absolute dynamite.

Gilles/Poirier were fun, skating a character piece. Their tricks got a bit rocky about halfway through, though, and that lasy bounce spin was terrifying. I'm so glad to hear that she's OK!!

vCash
    I think part of the reason p/p might have been having a little trouble was the fact that the ice was essentially a giant puddle during the first half. It was actually making me very nervous for the singles kids. They did seem to turn the temp down during intermission though and the ice looked better ish in the second half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Thanks for transferring my review over!

As for the rest of the show, I must say it was extremely well done.

Nam Nguyen was fun as always. Tons of personality, and a lovely triple axel.

Roman Sadovsky stood out for me. He's just mesmerizing to watch, and moves with an ease that a lot of ice dancers would kill for. Definately a kid to watch!

I was so pleased to see Alexandra Najarro again after her injury. She skated so softly and elegantly, with so much expression.

Gabby Daleman skated her EX from this year's nationals, and it was lots of fun. Her jumps are absolute dynamite.

Gilles/Poirier were fun, skating a character piece. Their tricks got a bit rocky about halfway through, though, and that lasy bounce spin was terrifying. I'm so glad to hear that she's OK!!
    Roman is my absolute favourite of the younger group. Hope he skates at Thornhill or I may not get to see him next season.

vCash

vCash
    My photos of the show are now posted on my website www.danielleearlphotography.com (can't do the full link at the moment, my phone is being difficult)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    My photos of the show are now posted on my website
    Thanks! Direct link to the gallery index: http://www.danielleearlphotography.com/f4423280
    Cluck on each thumbnail for additional photos.

vCash
    These are beautiful. Thanks