Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    2013-14 viewing schedule on Universal Sports

    http://universalsports.com/2013/10/0...wing-schedule/

    All the TV schedule is posted. The online viewing is still listed as TBD (To Be Determined).

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sage on a mountaintop
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Why do we get all of the short and free skates on Universal Sports for every Grand Prix event except Skate America?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

    The rest of the Grand Prix events are negotiated with the ISU. Universal sports has had that contract for several years - I'm not sure how much longer they have that contract.

  4. #4
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    Friday 10/25/13
    2013 Skate Canada Pairs Short TV: 1:30pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Ladies Short TV: 3:30pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Short Dance TV: 7:00pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Men’s Short TV: 8:30pm ET

    Saturday 10/26
    2013 Skate Canada Pairs Free TV: 12:00pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Free Dance TV: 4:30pm ET

    Sunday 10/27
    2013 Skate Canada Ladies/Men Free (NBC 4-6 pm ET?) & repeated on Universal at 8:00pm ET
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

    The rest of the Grand Prix events are negotiated with the ISU. Universal sports has had that contract for several years - I'm not sure how much longer they have that contract.
    The ISU's current contract with NBC & Universal Sports runs through the 2017-2018 season.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    The ISU's current contract with NBC & Universal Sports runs through the 2017-2018 season.
    At one time the contract was only with Universal Sports and the only reason NBC got to broadcast any of the five grand prix's was through their arrangement with Universal. Do you know if that is still the case? Is the contract now with NBC as well as Universal Sports.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    At one time the contract was only with Universal Sports and the only reason NBC got to broadcast any of the five grand prix's was through their arrangement with Universal. Do you know if that is still the case? Is the contract now with NBC as well as Universal Sports.
    I believe the contract is with Universal Sports but stipulates that a certain amount of coverage must be shown on NBC. NBC Is committed to showing coverage from at least 5 GPs, plus the Final, and they will also have primetime coverage of Worlds in non-Olympic years.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sage on a mountaintop
    Posts
    1,152
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just do not understand why Universal Sports would have so much less TV coverage of Skate AMERICA than the other country's GP events where they are showing all shorts and frees. For Skate America year after year we get no shorts, no dance except the winner and no pairs. If NBC is in control, why would they not want all the additional coverage of Skate America on Universal Sports? I just do not get it??.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I just do not understand why Universal Sports would have so much less TV coverage of Skate AMERICA than the other country's GP events where they are showing all shorts and frees. For Skate America year after year we get no shorts, no dance except the winner and no pairs. If NBC is in control, why would they not want all the additional coverage of Skate America on Universal Sports? I just do not get it??.
    I'll say it again - The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

    Icenetwork got to broadcast Skate America this year. Universal Sports did not have access. It was not a matter of choice - by NBC or Universal.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I'll say it again - The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

    Icenetwork got to broadcast Skate America this year. Universal Sports did not have access. It was not a matter of choice - by NBC or Universal.
    The USFSA has never had a contract with Universal Sports for Skate America or Nationals. Since 2007, the USFSA has owned the rights to its events (through IceNetwork), and it has had a revenue sharing agreement with NBC for television coverage. My guess is that in the years we have had coverage of Skate America and/or Nationals on Universal Sports, the USFSA was buying that airtime and paying for the production costs. The airtime was likely dirt cheap when Universal Sports was available on free-to-air TV, but now that it is cable/satellite-only, the airtime is more expensive than the USFSA is willing to pay. Thus, we no longer get coverage of USFSA events on Universal Sports.

    I was also mistaken yesterday about the ISU contract--the USFSA/IceNetwork currently owns the rights to all ISU events in the U.S., and they are either selling the rights to or buying airtime on Universal Sports and NBC for TV coverage.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The big baked apple
    Posts
    778
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    820
    I was so happy when I heard that Time Warner had settled their issues with Universal and was being returned to subscribers. Well, I just discovered that Universal Sports is not part of the regular cable package anymore - I have to buy a "Sports Pass" for $8.99 a month which gives me 14 other channels that I will never watch. Will be cancelling this after the Olympics -

    Thanks a lot Time Warner!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    36
    Posts
    77
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna43 View Post
    I was so happy when I heard that Time Warner had settled their issues with Universal and was being returned to subscribers. Well, I just discovered that Universal Sports is not part of the regular cable package anymore - I have to buy a "Sports Pass" for $8.99 a month which gives me 14 other channels that I will never watch. Will be cancelling this after the Olympics -

    Thanks a lot Time Warner!
    Exactly!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna43 View Post
    I was so happy when I heard that Time Warner had settled their issues with Universal and was being returned to subscribers. Well, I just discovered that Universal Sports is not part of the regular cable package anymore - I have to buy a "Sports Pass" for $8.99 a month which gives me 14 other channels that I will never watch. Will be cancelling this after the Olympics -

    Thanks a lot Time Warner!
    This is the same with DirecTV and with Dish Network. You must have a sports package in order to get Universal sports. I imagine if Comcast ever offers Universal Sports again it will also be part of a sports package. For me, it's worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •