Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Question 1: Can anybody in Japan explain to me how the division between Tokyo Regional and Kanto Regional works (I understand the geography of the other regions).
    In Japan, there are 6 regional competitions, such as the 'Tohoku and Hokkaido' regionals, the Kanto regionals, the Tokyo regionals, the Chubu regionals, Kinki regionals and the 'Chugoku, Shikoku and Kyushu' regionals.

The skaters who were selected in the regional competitions, such as the 'Hokkaido and Tohoku' regionals, the Kanto regionals and Tokyo regionals, participates to Higashi Nihon Championship.

The skaters who were selected in the regional competitions, such as the Chubu regionals, the Kinki regionals and 'Chugoku, Shikoku and Kyushu' regionals, participates to Nishi Nihon Championship.

The final result of Ladies of Tokyo Regional
    18 skaters participated and 14 skaters of the upper rank got the qualify of participation to Higashi Nihon Championship.
    (The spots of participation to Higashi Nihon Championship in the regional competition was decided by the results of last season.)
    The spots of Tokyo Regionals was 17, but 3 skaters (Yuki Nishino, Haruka Imai, Risa Shoji) among them were excempted the paticipation to this regionals for partcipating to the internatioanl competition.

http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...3/data0290.htm

The final result of ladies of Kanto Regionals
    5 skaters participated and 5 skaters got the qualify of participation to Higashi Nihon Championship.
    In this year, the whole skaters got the qualify because the participant didn't fill the spots 7 in this regionals.
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...2/data0290.htm
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 10-17-2013 at 02:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    japanese fed made their statement clear with not designating her; kinda funny, when we see results of yuki nishino as a designated skater, but we know that would happen. hope miki can kick their asses in improving extremly in her tes.

i would like to have her back here in europe, but i don't know, if she needs more time to train than for competitions, hard to say. great, the international hosts want her, although japanese fed totally not
    Yuki Nishino placed 7th at Japan Nats 2012(her TES of FS was 50.66) and she won the designation. So she can start her season at her own pace, even slowly, since she's proven her level already. It is the same in the case of Kanako. She bombed at Japan Open but nobody says she should not be designated as a "special designated skater".(Nishino is designated as "designated skater A", lower level than Kanako.) But the story is defferent in the case of Miki. She announced her comeback after JSF announced the list of the designated skaters. So she should have proven her level is good enough to be designated at her tryout, Kanto Regional. Even though she was not good enough to be designated, she won through the Regional. So the next thing she should/can do is to skate good enough to win through the East Japan Sectional. I think the hurdle is not very much high for her. Since to win through East Japan Sectional is much easier than to win through West Japan Sectional. I hope she try her best to appear at Japan Nats without depending on the special treatment by JSF. Otherwise she won't be accepted as the worthy skater by other Japanese skaters, coaches or even ordinary people when she gets the spot for Japan Nats(or the Olympics).

As for JSF, multiple articles said Miki is pushed/supported officially and privately by some vip members of JSF. One of the articles suggested the name of one of them by calling "Ms.S". This is my guess but Ms.S indicates Noriko Shirota. Shirota used to be called as "Empress of JSF". She was dismissed from JSF for the reason of embezzling money from JSF. She made her comeback to JSF as a external member just before Vancouver Olympics and stayed there as a selective supporter for just two out of the six single skaters, those two were Miki and Oda. Anyways, whoever the vip members are, presumably Miki is pushed by some of the JFS members. The information makes it easier to understand why Miki was on the unofficial waiting list and then invited by German Federation even though JFS said they didn't know about the invitation at all at the beginning. Some membes knew but the others didn't know. I've never heard that any Japanese skater out of the international pool participated in an international competition for the reason of invitation and JSF accepted the participation. So don't worry, Jeschke. She is treated as more than a vip skater ever by (some members of) JFS.

Aside from joking, I really hope Miki would be in better shape at her next competition. After all I hope she would be satisfied with her final season and say "sayonara and arigato" to everybody with a wonderful simile.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-17-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: for correction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Aside from joking, I really hope Miki would be in better shape at her next competition. After all I hope she would be satisfied with her final season and say "sayonara and arigato" to everybody with a wonderful simile.
    thanks for your lang answer rosewood

i hope, miki will leave the stage with that wonderful smile too.

http://instagram.com/p/fjrEooF_K1/#

vCash
    i hope, miki will leave the stage with that wonderful smile too.

http://instagram.com/p/fjrEooF_K1/#
    That was really funny. She was saying "konichiwa" (hello) to the bird, who apparently wasn't too impressed. Is it me, or does she look so much happier both on and off ice these days? I feel like she will be able be to walk away from this season with a smile no matter what, just knowing she has tried her best -- even if her best wasn't enough to get to the Olympics again. Although of course I do hope that she makes it Sochi. She looks as good as Murakami right now. Go, Miki!

vCash
    Miki Ando: "I really want to fly one more time"
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...3mikiando.html

vCash
    That is a very interesting and open interview, thank you!

vCash
    Good luck, Miki!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    In Japan, there are 6 regional competitions, such as the 'Tohoku and Hokkaido' regionals, the Kanto regionals, the Tokyo regionals, the Chubu regionals, Kinki regionals and the 'Chugoku, Shikoku and Kyushu' regionals.

The skaters who were selected in the regional competitions, such as the 'Hokkaido and Tohoku' regionals, the Kanto regionals and Tokyo regionals, participates to Higashi Nihon Championship.....
    Thanks for the additional information. But what I really wanted to know was how the boundaries are drawn between the Tokyo Regional and the Kanto Regional. Are skaters at Tokyo Regional based in training rinks in the central city, and Kanto Regional is from everything in the outlying Tokyo districts, and non-Tokyo parts of Kanto? Is Tokyo Regional considered "more difficult" (= more competition) than Kanto, and is it easy for a skater to switch from Tokyo to Kanto to better their chances of moving to the Higashi Nihon?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Thanks for the additional information. But what I really wanted to know was how the boundaries are drawn between the Tokyo Regional and the Kanto Regional. Are skaters at Tokyo Regional based in training rinks in the central city, and Kanto Regional is from everything in the outlying Tokyo districts, and non-Tokyo parts of Kanto? Is Tokyo Regional considered "more difficult" (= more competition) than Kanto, and is it easy for a skater to switch from Tokyo to Kanto to better their chances of moving to the Higashi Nihon?
    According to the implementation guidance, the participation qualification person to Tokyo Regionals is the person who was registered to JSF from Tokyo Skating Union.
    According to the implementation guidance, the participation qualification person to Kanto Regionals is the person who was registered to JSF from the local federation of 8 prefectures, such as Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, Yamanashi, Nagano.

Being general, the skater registers to JSF via the local federation in the area where he/she is living.
    Therefore, I think that he/she can easily make the region switch, by making the address move to the area of local federation where he/she hopes to move to.

As for Kanto Regionals, the participants doesn't often fill the capacity and the possibility that all the members pass is high compared with Tokyo Regionals.
    Because there are many participants in Tokyo Regionals, the competitive rate of Tokyo Regionals is high a little and may be a high barrier somewhat for the beginner who is low skill.
    As for Tokyo Regionals in this season, 14 participants among 18 participants advanced to Higashi Nihon Sectionals.
    Tokyo Regionals had 17 spots contained to 3 skaters who was exempted the participation for participating to International competition, such as Nishino, Imai,and Shoji).

As for Kanto Regionals, all 5 participants advanced to Higashi Nihon Sectionals.
    Kanto Regions had 7 spots.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 10-24-2013 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    It's interesting. So she is not on their national team which means that Japanese Federation can't send her to international competitions, but she was invited by German Federation to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy and therefore could compete (even without being at national team). And at the end of November Miki is invited to compete at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, so she will again compete there without being at the national team. Why do we worry about her not being at the national team? It is obvious that she is able to get around that and compete internationally anyway.

vCash
    Thank you very much Akira Andrea! Very interesting and clear explanation--Japanese nationals qualifying had always been a mystery to me!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    It's interesting. So she is not on their national team which means that Japanese Federation can't send her to international competitions, but she was invited by German Federation to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy and therefore could compete (even without being at national team). And at the end of November Miki is invited to compete at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, so she will again compete there without being at the national team. Why do we worry about her not being at the national team? It is obvious that she is able to get around that and compete internationally anyway.

Fascinating, thanks for your post, hanca, makes me understand how much Miki is well-liked by the international community, even if not at home....hmmm....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Fascinating, thanks for your post, hanca, makes me understand how much Miki is well-liked by the international community, even if not at home....hmmm....
    I don't think she is being invited because she is liked by the international community. (not saying that she isn't liked, but it has nothing to do with the reason for being invited). I think she is being invited because someone from Japanese Federation picked up the phone and made a few phone calls explaining that they can't officially send her because she is not on their national team but if she was invited she would have a chance to get on the national team (if she place well). Most countries organising B competition will be really happy if some top skater attends (helps to sell the tickets and makes it 'better' competition) so they will be glad to do that for Miky and for Japanese Federation. I think the skating Federations help each other (if it isn't to the detriment of their own skaters) because they never know when they will need to ask for a favour in return. For example, German Federation invited Miky to Nebelhorn. Next year when Japanese Federation wonders who to invite for GP event (perhaps when a slot is suddenly available due to withdrawal), they may prioritise German skater (if at all possible - if at the list of five they have to chose from).

vCash
    Thanks, hanca, for explaining it step by step to me, now I understand, lol.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO MIKI!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I don't think she is being invited because she is liked by the international community. (not saying that she isn't liked, but it has nothing to do with the reason for being invited). I think she is being invited because someone from Japanese Federation picked up the phone and made a few phone calls explaining that they can't officially send her because she is not on their national team but if she was invited she would have a chance to get on the national team (if she place well). Most countries organising B competition will be really happy if some top skater attends (helps to sell the tickets and makes it 'better' competition) so they will be glad to do that for Miky and for Japanese Federation. I think the skating Federations help each other (if it isn't to the detriment of their own skaters) because they never know when they will need to ask for a favour in return. For example, German Federation invited Miky to Nebelhorn. Next year when Japanese Federation wonders who to invite for GP event (perhaps when a slot is suddenly available due to withdrawal), they may prioritise German skater (if at all possible - if at the list of five they have to chose from).
    I also assume Asahi Network was involved in the invitation process. They have the exclusive broadcast right of GPS (except NHK Trophy) in Japan, and Ando gave them the exclusive interview last June, in which she confessed that she had become a mother four months before. Nebelhorn Trophy was aired on Asahi's cable channel.

vCash
    http://instagram.com/p/gQY_CpF_Pz/#

'May I ask to all my supporters in this world... I hope not, but tomorrow will be my free skating in east sectionals. If I skate not good... Tomorrow will be the last competition in Japan. Please help me to have a energy to skate by your cheers... I will try my best I can do now. Thank you very much to support me!!! Xoxo love<3

all fingers crossed, that miki will rock the arena in the free. go miki, get your ticket to nationals and your deserved ending!

vCash
    http://instagram.com/p/gQY_CpF_Pz/#

'May I ask to all my supporters in this world... I hope not, but tomorrow will be my free skating in east sectionals. If I skate not good... Tomorrow will be the last competition in Japan. Please help me to have a energy to skate by your cheers... I will try my best I can do now. Thank you very much to support me!!! Xoxo love<3

all fingers crossed, that miki will rock the arena in the free. go miki, get your ticket to nationals and your deserved ending!
    Thank you for the share.
    I hope that this doesn't become the last competition in Japan for Miki Ando.
    Good luck for Miki Ando!
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 11-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.

vCash
    Ando is only 5.58 points away from 5th place (top 5 will qualify for Nationals), but she is sitting in 13th place after the SP at Eastern Sectionals and has to skate early (#8 of 24, in the 2nd of 4 FS groups). Best wishes to her!

ETA link to FS start order/results page (in Japanese): http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2...t/data0205.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Is Miki married? I wonder if she planned on having a baby or it just happened. I think it would be very hard to come back to competitive skating after having a baby (right away at least). Has anyone ever done that, maybe some pairs person? I cannot recall any singles skating in recent years at least.

vCash
    Yikes, 13th place?? She dropped 18 points from her Nebelhorn SP score. What happened?

Go, Miki! Release that inner fierce competitor of yours!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast