Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Do skaters serve the federation or does the federation serve the skaters? I'm by no means a fan of Joubert, but this is a really depressing story. I can imagine the French Federation standing in his way to go to the Olympics too, which would just be mindbogglingly stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    I have to agree with the poster who wrote there are likely two sides to this story. Joubert was very active this summer doing shows all over. When he did not show up at French Masters, giving what Gailhaguet thought was a flimsy excuse, I can understand the irritation. Other single skaters who did show at Masters were not in top shape but at least performed their programs. If Joubert truly wanted to compete at Skate America, which I assume he did, it's hard to understand why, with all of his past experience, he didn't approach Gailhaguet right after the Masters and attempt to hash out the situation.
    Joubert didn't do an unusually high number of shows compared to other skaters, and several of them were in France. A lot of skaters do shows in the summer, then ramp up their training for the season - Joubert was behind schedule with the training not because he went to Kazakhstan in June or Japan in July. More likely, it was the matter of training locations, since he didn't want to stay in Paris and rink in Poitiers only opened in late September. He'd been commuting to a rink an hour and a half away before that (along with Guyon, who's also based in Poitiers AFAIK).

I doubt Joubert thought the Masters WD would or should preclude competing at Skate America, considering he'd earned the two assignments with his performance at Worlds. It wasn't like the FFSG was doing him a favor by assigning him, or could pick skaters based on their own criteria like they do for other international events.

According to the L'Equipe article from yesterday, Joubert and Guyon had been trying to contact the federation (presumably, Gailhaguet) for some time, with no success. I find them more credible than Gailhaguet; I find most politicians more credible and reasonable than Gailhaguet. Again, the earlier thread about the situation with Papadakis/Cizeron and the treatment of anyone who won't leave Annecy demonstrates his MO quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Do skaters serve the federation or does the federation serve the skaters? I'm by no means a fan of Joubert, but this is a really depressing story. I can imagine the French Federation standing in his way to go to the Olympics too, which would just be mindbogglingly stupid.
    I think that's why Joubert has taken the high road: there's nothing he can accomplish in terms of changing the way Gailhaguet/the FFSG operates, and there's no point in risking the rest of his season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    The FFSG is saying that Brian has got the flu. Brian says it's a sanction. Take your side
    But wouldn't the French Federation be supposed to produce a document signed and rubber stamped by a medical doctor proving that Joubert has got the flu if they don't want the ISU to apply a financial sanction to the skater for not showing up at a GP event? If that's the case, I wonder how the FF could submit such a document considering that Joubert's flu is not real. Which of the two parties should the ISU believe now, the FF or Joubert? lol

I personally think that Joubert being withdrawn from Skate America might be a blessing in disguise for him though because if he wasn't prepared for a small competition like French Masters, much less would he have been ready for a face-off with the impressive men's line-up from SA.

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    From the FFSG website:

http://www.ffsg.org/salle_de_presse/...U_2013_ENG.pdf

http://www.ffsg.org/salle_de_presse/...PISU_2013_.pdf

No actual reference to the flu here although they still suggest it was Brian's decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    From the FFSG website:

http://www.ffsg.org/salle_de_presse/...U_2013_ENG.pdf

http://www.ffsg.org/salle_de_presse/...PISU_2013_.pdf

No actual reference to the flu here although they still suggest it was Brian's decision.
    Considering Brian and Guyon say otherwise, I find the whole thing quite strange - and an FFSG press release in English, that's practically unprecedented. Maybe they didn't anticipate the reaction to this decision and are now backtracking/doing damage control?

But I agree, it would be curious to punish the most successful French skater of all time (their wording, not mine) for such reasons.

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Considering Brian and Guyon say otherwise, I find the whole thing quite strange - and an FFSG press release in English, that's practically unprecedented. Maybe they didn't anticipate the reaction to this decision and are now backtracking/doing damage control?

But I agree, it would be curious to punish the most successful French skater of all time (their wording, not mine) for such reasons.
    I agree it's "very curious", which is pretty much what L'Equippe said in not so many words. Was a little surprised to see the english version (although I didn't realise it was so rare)... I'm more inclined to believe Brian and Guyon as well.

vCash
    The press release was made yesterday late in the day due to the reactions (mainly negative) to the announcement made in l'Equipe.
    The FFSG was unlucky when Brian gave in the afternoon a tv interview, confirming the information published by l'Equipe, contradicting their newest press release.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    ((((French skaters))))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    ((((French skaters))))
    yea love them

vCash
    Overall I agree with a lot of the posts about Gailhaguet, but the situation with Joubert I think is a bit more complicated than "Gailhaguet is a bad guy" (although he may be). Joubert wasn't ready to compete at Masters due to a combination of returning (for I think the fourth time) to Guyon; changing programs late in the game; his show schedule, including a period of at least a few days when he was stuck in Asia due to a lost passport; and other reasons. Although missing the Masters has precedent, it's a bit of a big deal in France, unless there is an injury. Joubert has had a kind of patchwork approach to his coaching, training, programs, etc. at times in the past. It's just a shame that he couldn't have worked things out with Gailhaguet, since they have had a reasonable relationship of sorts at times.
    Last edited by nylynnr; 10-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    I don't disagree about Brian's somewhat irratic approach. But the supposed lack of communication about the consequences of the decision about Masters is crazy to me.

Ultimately it is Joubert who secured the Olympic spots at Worlds last year as well as his own places in the Grand Prix and notwithstanding poor Olympic showings has consistently delivered for the Federation when it counted. Not necessarily by being on the podium in recent years, but by doing "enough", whether that was to satisfy the crowd at Worlds in 2012 or getting two spots at the Olympics.

It's because of that record that I can't understand the lack of consideration and communication. If you don't think he is ready - propose a test skate, the French Fed do those all the time. Or just tell him - if you aren't ready for Master we don't believe you can be ready for SA in two weeks - why leave it to rumour and speculation until the last minute?

vCash
    Joubert never wanted to leave Guyon to begin with, but he couldn't stay in the Poitiers area during the renovation and the FFSG placed him first with Dumont and later with Krier. His preference was always to work with Guyon and he relocated to Poitiers as soon as he could. Probably before he should have, considering that the renovation wasn't complete yet and he had to commute for training for several weeks.

He was in Japan in July, so even if there were unplanned delays with his return, they couldn't have affected his preparation. The late-ish program change was his decision to stick with last year's LP, so I don't see how that's an issue either.

vCash
    My brain hurts from following these machinations. For me, it's just simpler and easier to believe that Gailhaguet is a bad guy who likes to have skaters be like

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    My brain hurts from following these machinations. For me, it's just simpler and easier to believe that Gailhaguet is a bad guy who likes to have skaters be like
    I like a parsimonious explanation

As for the "Joubert really is sick" story, he looks fine to me.

vCash
    Oh ... They should have picked Brian as the flag bearer! I dunno who the other two are (being the ignorant person that I am)

What I want to say is, for all that Brian has achieved and contributed to the sport, I wish that FFSG could just give him some RESPEKT. And it's not like romain ponsart chaffik what's his name and others have done anything to prove they are worthy of being on the team. As someone mentioned, brians results this quad haven't been amazing but he has done enough to prove that he deserves more respekt ... While I don't dislike florent amodio, France would have been left with one spot in sochi had amodio been left to his own devices in London last year ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I like a parsimonious explanation

As for the "Joubert really is sick" story, he looks fine to me.
    Yes, he looks great!

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    As someone mentioned, brians results this quad haven't been amazing but he has done enough to prove that he deserves more respekt ... While I don't dislike florent amodio, France would have been left with one spot in sochi had amodio been left to his own devices in London last year ....
    Agreed & think this is a clear case of 'don't know what you've got until it's gone.' FFSG will be left with Amodio's great potential & roller coaster performances once Brian is done and they will pine for a consistent top 10 skater who could get them 3 spots. Well, as close as Didier can get to pining anyways.

vCash
    Oh ... They should have picked Brian as the flag bearer! I dunno who the other two are (being the ignorant person that I am)
    I believe Jason Lamy-Chappuis (Nordic combined) is France's only returning OGM, so it was kind of an obvious choice. I do think it could have also been a good message to pick Brian because the Olympics is not just about winning but also about perseverance and overcoming challenges, but I can't argue with the selection.

vCash

What I want to say is, for all that Brian has achieved and contributed to the sport, I wish that FFSG could just give him some RESPECT. And it's not like Romain Ponsart Chaffik what's his name and others have done anything to prove they are worthy of being on the team. As someone mentioned, Brian's results this quad haven't been amazing but he has done enough to prove that he deserves more respect ... While I don't dislike Florent Amodio, France would have been left with one spot in sochi had amodio been left to his own devices in London last year ....
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Agreed & think this is a clear case of 'don't know what you've got until it's gone.' FFSG will be left with Amodio's great potential & roller coaster performances once Brian is done and they will pine for a consistent top 10 skater who could get them 3 spots. Well, as close as Didier can get to pining anyways.

vCash
    I may not have been Brian's biggest fan but even I would acknowledge all he has done for his skating federation and I truly feel bad for the way it seems he is being treated. Like Kelvster, I believe he is due respect for his achievements.

I also feel bad for those attending SA who will be deprived of him competing.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast