Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I believe she is since TAHbKA translates many of her articles.
    I wish I could read it
    The article speaks of a "pre-agreement" the coach of Romain Ponsart and ex-wife of Didier would have with Gailhaguet about the French Fed giving Ponsart one of the two Olys spots but this allegation doesn't make much sense to me, to be honest. France had three spots for the men's event at 2013 Worlds but, as I learned from the French Skating News thread, the Fed chose to send just Joubert and Amodio because no other French skater had met in international competition the minimum score of 215 points over the two programs the Fed would have set for their men. So, before Annick Dumont could make any kind of arrangement with Gailhaguet, she should at least count on Ponsart to be able to score 215 points (and I don't see why the bar would be any lower for the Olympics) as it looks like the French Fed would rather not use all their spots than send a skater who failed to meet their minimum score. Ponsart at 2013 WTT posted a score of 165.59 for the two programs combined.

Too bad the journalist didn't produce any kind of evidence in support of her statements. Wonder what her inside sources were.

vCash
    My first thought was 'this is bu****it', because even DG is not that stupid and, after all, they declined to send Ponsart to worlds when they had the berth, but then I remembered the whole farce with Contesti and Dambier in 2006. Wasn't Dambier Annick's student?

When I checked Wikipedia to see if what I remembered was correct I came across this reference, showing that the FFSG actually pulled Contesti out of SA under very similar circumstances.

Conclusion? If I were Brain Joubert I would start to worry. His fans should start a big media campaign - this seems the only thing DG is worried about...

vCash
    Proofs? That's what you want ? I think noone needs any or just take a look at the pattern for OG selections, and you can go as far as 1992.
    If you're on the good side, you may go whatever the french results are. If you're not, it will be hard. Ask Candeloro. Ask Bonaly. Ask Abitbol/Bernadis.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Proofs? That's what you want ? I think noone needs any or just take a look at the pattern for OG selections, and you can go as far as 1992.
    If you're on the good side, you may go whatever the french results are. If you're not, it will be hard. Ask Candeloro. Ask Bonaly. Ask Abitbol/Bernadis.
    I don't want proof. I want this to be a stupid conspiracy theory cooked up by bored figure skating fans. I know, I sound idiotic, but seriously.

vCash
    So apparently Joubert has told the federation that he won't be ready for Masters due to prolonged renovation of his Poiters rink.

I shook my head in disbelief at this. His rink was renovated so he didn't train?

A skater competing at this level should have been able work out some kind of arrangement with his federation so that he wouldn't lose any travel time. Like training in another city, being sent to US or Canada, anything. I don't know who is to blame for that not happening but .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So apparently Joubert has told the federation that he won't be ready for Masters due to prolonged renovation of his Poiters rink.

I shook my head in disbelief at this. His rink was renovated so he didn't train?

A skater competing at this level should have been able work out some kind of arrangement with his federation so that he wouldn't lose any travel time. Like training in another city, being sent to US or Canada, anything. I don't know who is to blame for that not happening but .
    No. There was a year-long renovation, and Joubert relocated to Paris. My understanding is that he wasn't too happy there and wanted to go back and work with his coach, Veronique Guyon. In the end he moved back a few weeks before the rink was ready, so he and Guyon spent September commuting to a rink an hour and a half away, which was certainly not an ideal training situation. And since he was assigned to the first GP of the season, he likely figured that his time was better spent prepping for that than going to the Masters and skating badly.

The FFSG and Gailhaguet pressured Joubert for years about moving abroad for training or at least relocating within France. He's not interested, never was. He wants to stay in Poitiers. And while I agree it's not an ideal training situation, he's certainly accomplished a lot even with this as his training base, and it has the advantage of being close to his family and friends, as well as almost unlimited ice time (he has keys to the rink and can train during off-hours). Joubert has said that when he stayed in the US for a longer period of time he was miserable and compensated by overeating, with predictable results. I guess not everyone has the right personality to move away for training and live in a different country/culture for this purpose.

vCash
    In Poitiers he has the keys of the rink so he can train whenever he wants ...

vCash
    Thank you for all of that background info, Zemgirl.

vCash
    In Poitiers he has the keys of the rink so he can train whenever he wants ...
    I don't know if any other skater has such a convenient setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Thank you for all of that background info, Zemgirl.
    I hope I didn't overdo it It's actually kind of interesting because there's sometimes talk about skaters making a lot (too many?) of personal sacrifices for their career, whereas Joubert has probably done the opposite.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 10-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.

vCash
    I don't know if they showed them on TV, but there were some people at SA holding up "FREE JOUBERT" signs.

vCash
    I'm sure Contesti is looking in rear view mirror, watching history repeat itself with Joubert, and saying Thank God I jumped to Italy. Similarly, Kim Lucine is probably glad to have escaped DG's clutches and be skating for Monaco now.
    Last edited by jiejie; 10-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.

vCash
    Contesti is a similar case. Not in the good camp. Had he been in Annick's training camp, I am sure she would have found a way both skaters would have accepted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    I don't know if they showed them on TV, but there were some people at SA holding up "FREE JOUBERT" signs.
    I didn't see any, but I approve

Contesti is a similar case. Not in the good camp. Had he been in Annick's training camp, I am sure she would have found a way both skaters would have accepted
    Though Contesti didn't have the sort of track record at the time where he could really claim he was superior to Dambier, so there was some wiggle room. I think Dambier actually won a lawsuit so that he would get to go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Ponsart actually has the minimum, even for Worlds, from last year's Bavarian Open (SP) and Volvo Cup (LP). But he's certainly nowhere near the skater that Joubert is (or even as good as Besseghier is, for that matter). I can understand pushing a skater who is well-connected and promising, but if it's just the former, well, I just don't get it.

This was the update about Ponsart's injury; I couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong or what his prognosis is.
    I'll try to translate - 2 years ago Ponsart suffered torn ligaments from a sprained ankle requiring time off from training. Last year he had a new sprain and the ligaments were "holding on by a thread" so he was placed in a cast. Now 15 days before the Masters, he had a new inflammation requiring cortisone injections. Then in the short program he hurt his ankle on the quad but managed to finish the program. They feared ligament damage again but MRI and other exams showed no new damage. They investigated further and found that a foot bone (the talus, which is between the heel and tibia/fibula) had been broken several months ago and not healed "straight". The new position of the bone was putting pressure on the ligament and inflaming it. He had a direct injection at the site and is waiting to see if that treatment is sufficient, if not he'll need surgery in three weeks to correct the bone.

Hope that helps and any native speakers feel free to correct if needed. I think I managed to follow it but not that experienced with French medical terminology.

vCash
    I just hope Brian can put all this cr*p behind him and get on with it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I'll try to translate - 2 years ago Ponsart suffered torn ligaments from a sprained ankle requiring time off from training. Last year he had a new sprain and the ligaments were "holding on by a thread" so he was placed in a cast. Now 15 days before the Masters, he had a new inflammation requiring cortisone injections. Then in the short program he hurt his ankle on the quad but managed to finish the program. They feared ligament damage again but MRI and other exams showed no new damage. They investigated further and found that a foot bone (the talus, which is between the heel and tibia/fibula) had been broken several months ago and not healed "straight". The new position of the bone was putting pressure on the ligament and inflaming it. He had a direct injection at the site and is waiting to see if that treatment is sufficient, if not he'll need surgery in three weeks to correct the bone.
    Thanks a lot of the translation. Wow, that guy can't catch a break. :/

having a nice day
    vCash

Thumbs up

Whee! FREE JOUBERT!!
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    My first thought was 'this is bu****it', because even DG is not that stupid and, after all, they declined to send Ponsart to worlds when they had the berth, but then I remembered the whole farce with Contesti and Dambier in 2006. Wasn't Dambier Annick's student?

When I checked Wikipedia to see if what I remembered was correct I came across this reference, showing that the FFSG actually pulled Contesti out of SA under very similar circumstances.

Conclusion? If I were Brain Joubert I would start to worry. His fans should start a big media campaign - this seems the only thing DG is worried about...
    Holy cow. I knew Samuel had some issues with the French Federation, but I never got into details.
    Seing how similar Brian's situation is getting is actually kinda scary.

This is just so riddiculous. The majority of national federations in Europe would kill for a Joubert to send to the Olys. And last time I checked, he was the top French skater at Worlds 2012 AND 2013. And ok, he didn't medal, but he still placed better than Amodio.

I am officially joining the "FREE JOUBERT" team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Holy cow. I knew Samuel had some issues with the French Federation, but I never got into details.
    Seing how similar Brian's situation is getting is actually kinda scary.
    AFAIK the Contesti-FFSG thing was more complicated than him being victimized for no good reason (and the federation wasn't even headed by Gailhaguet at the time, BTW). Basically my understanding is that Contesti had issues with the federation going back to the Olympic selection in 2005-6 - when he beat Dambier nationally, but based on the federation's original criteria Dambier had the stronger claim and thus won in court. In 2006-7, Contesti had issues with the federation but he was chosen for the World team, so it's not as though he was being denied major assignments, and apparently there was some back and forth between him and the federation with regard to assignments in the 2006-7 fall season. And of course, his competition record was nowhere near that of Joubert (or Dambier, and later Preaubert), so he couldn't make a very strong case for himself.

I do think it reflects badly on the FFSG that skaters' GP assignments are taken away without warning. As do many other things that the FFSG has done recently.

vCash
    FREE JOUBERT!!!!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast