Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends on fsu. I am grateful that I know you (sort of )

vCash
    Just popped back in to say: Wow. Most successful turkey I've ever done! It was delicious - moist inside with a crispy skin (finally I got a crispy skin! ) and an added bonus - without a lid on it, it took a lot less time to cook!

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Pot roasting pretty much steams the meat, rather than roasts it. But I've certainly never thought of it as the "American way". I'm sure there are many Canadians other than myself who roast rather than steam/pot roast.
    I use a broth bath (half chicken stock/half white wine) rather than water at the bottom of my roaster, and always brine the bird first. After trying that method a few years ago, I don't want turkey any other way - so incredibly moist!!
    Hope your foil didn't stick to the skin lurvylurker. I always tent the foil loosely, and also rub the bird with olive oil - though that's mostly for colour.

Wow Japanfan, that broth bath sounds delicious! I'm gonna try that next time (but I won't do the brining part, 'cause Mr. L and I can't have a lot of salt). I did rub the skin with an oil/melted butter/pepper combo, and I made sure to keep the foil loose, so it didn't stick this time.

And yes, I know there are a lot of Canadians who dry roast their birds -- it's just that I've never encountered any of them. In my and Mr. L's extended family and friends circles, everyone always pot roasts. So we all call dry roasting "the American way", as inaccurate as that may be .

Now to the leftovers! I like to make turkey tetrazzini and freeze it for later. And I make stock with the carcass, of course. (Mmm, the house smells so good after a day of simmering stock!)

L.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Ok so here's the problem: I loooove Canada (as some of you may have noticed hehehe), and I would like to cook something for Thanksgiving the next year, something simple because I doubt that my family would care that much about celebrating Thanksgiving (therefore, no big turkeys). Do you know where I could find some recipes?
    Thanks
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Ok so here's the problem: I loooove Canada (as some of you may have noticed hehehe), and I would like to cook something for Thanksgiving the next year, something simple because I doubt that my family would care that much about celebrating Thanksgiving (therefore, no big turkeys). Do you know where I could find some recipes?
    Thanks
    allrecipes.com -- amazing place!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Happy thanksgiving to our fellow canadian fsuers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Thanks
    I don't where you live, pingu? It is Italy? (I seem to recall you spent time here some years ago and posted about, or did I mix you up with someone else?)

Can you get turkey where you are? You don't have to celebrate Thanksgiving specifically to cook a turkey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I don't where you live, pingu? It is Italy? (I seem to recall you spent time here some years ago and posted about, or did I mix you up with someone else?)

Can you get turkey where you are? You don't have to celebrate Thanksgiving specifically to cook a turkey.
    Yep that was me, I live near Milan in Italy
    We have turkey here but it's not very common to cook it like you guys do in North America, and my family is pretty "conservative" about food so I am not sure that they would love to eat turkey on Sunday instead of pasta with ragù
    I'll look at the website that Really wrote, thanks!!
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12