Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Kerrigan seems like an incredibly unpleasant person but I can't be the only one who remembers the first Solomon wife originally saying her marriage was over long before Jerry and Nancy hooked up. Then Nancy made those bitchy comments, the media sharpened their knives and the first Solomon wife changed her story in an exclusive interview with some tabloid, where she likely earned some nice cash for her story. It always struck me as someone cashing in financially and personally on the media backlash against Nancy. I know I shouldn't let the trolls suck me in but I hate revisionist history. I never forgot that the first Solomon wife changed her story. But Nancy is evil so let's not let facts get in the way.
    What about the cynical notion that ALL of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM, were incredibly "unpleasant" with agendas that border on "shady."

The ex-wife could have initially stated the marriage was over long before they met so that Mr. Solomon would not lose income from a scandal and be able to pay her alimony and child support (if applicable), only to change later to earn money from a tabloid.

Mr. Solomon is a man who started a sexual relationship with someone young enough to be his daughter while he was married to another woman. Enuf said...... SHADY! Not to mention that he saw NK as "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" he was blinded by the dollar signs.

Kerrigan is shady for even kissing a married man old enough to be her father while he was married to another. We also know her subsequent history.

But hey, NK always just wanted to grow up and be a housewife and mother. She has that, and her kids have her. This is nice on the surface, but what a shady way to get there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    The ex-wife could have initially stated the marriage was over long before they met so that Mr. Solomon would not lose income from a scandal and be able to pay her alimony and child support (if applicable), only to change later to earn money from a tabloid.

Mr. Solomon is a man who started a sexual relationship with someone young enough to be his daughter while he was married to another woman. Enuf said...... SHADY! Not to mention that he saw NK as "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" he was blinded by the dollar signs.

Kerrigan is shady for even kissing a married man old enough to be her father while he was married to another. We also know her subsequent history.

But hey, NK always just wanted to grow up and be a housewife and mother. She has that, and her kids have her. This is nice on the surface, but what a shady way to get there.
    Solomon was quite successful long before Kerrigan. His first wife was in no danger of losing alimony or child support. Horrible theory. She changed her story because she probably wanted some extra cash. Great example to her children.

As far as you losing your shit about someone kissing a man old enough to be her father, have fun living in that time warp known as the 1950s.

Now please continue defending the drunk driver. Thank God, Oksana only endangered lives with her reckless behavior but never kissed someone 20 years her senior. Now that would be a crime!

vCash
    I don't know if Nancy is unpleasant... I think she is a simple hard-working girl who was cast in a role of a beautiful sophisticated Cinderella. She was anything but sophisticated, and from my recollection she wasn't particularly smart (sorry, guys..) The problem with her was expectations vs. reality. A fairy princess she was not. And that showed in her behavior. Nancy, like Oksana, was thrown into the epicenter of extreme media attention. She couldn't handle it either. Her family was there, but they were sooooo unsophisticated. Nancy's defense was seeking stability and protection. From someone who understood what was happening. I think the venom directed at her post-Olympics (after the infamous kiss-and-cry and Disney comments) shook her to the core. She was just being herself. Sure, she was benefiting from her management's scheme to market her as a princess type, but she couldn't figure out how to be one. All these girls unfortunately suffered in 1994. It was not a good year.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    Why does everyone think that Galina and Victor only regarded her as a cash cow? I watched her olympic skate and in the end she was crying and hugging Galina, and Victor and G&G were cheering. Looks like she did have some friends and support, but sadly something happen.
    She could have become the cash cow after those Olympic cameras stopped rolling. Who knows. I doubt she made much money before then, even with a world title, for her handlers to take.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferlyon View Post
    It was only one, brief chapter. Lucinda wrote about how this coach was very eager to have her at the rink in Connecticut in the hopes that Lucinda would be the next OGM. The unnamed coach was overbearing and pushed Lucinda too far. Lucinda ended up getting injured. There was also something about how the coach, her daughter, and her son-in-law wanted to show Lucinda off so they pressured her into skating at some clinic-type event at a time when she should have been resting.
    I have Lucinda's book but I haven't made it past the extremely verbose introduction yet....

Well it's pretty obvious from that description who it is. All that's missing is that the unnamed, overbearing coach had short blond hair and a large fur coat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I have Lucinda's book but I haven't made it past the extremely verbose introduction yet....
    It's so badly written, it's unbelievable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Shae Lynn View Post
    I don't know if Nancy is unpleasant... I think she is a simple hard-working girl who was cast in a role of a beautiful sophisticated Cinderella. She was anything but sophisticated, and from my recollection she wasn't particularly smart (sorry, guys..) The problem with her was expectations vs. reality. A fairy princess she was not. And that showed in her behavior. Nancy, like Oksana, was thrown into the epicenter of extreme media attention. She couldn't handle it either. Her family was there, but they were sooooo unsophisticated. Nancy's defense was seeking stability and protection. From someone who understood what was happening. I think the venom directed at her post-Olympics (after the infamous kiss-and-cry and Disney comments) shook her to the core. She was just being herself. Sure, she was benefiting from her management's scheme to market her as a princess type, but she couldn't figure out how to be one. All these girls unfortunately suffered in 1994. It was not a good year.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Seriously, I don't see how any of these skaters could have been prepared for the media onslaught. Before 1994, skating was more popular than it is now, but very rarely did any skater's behavior warrant tabloid attention. (Christopher Bowman was an exception.) During the skating boom, if any skater behaved badly, it was on the front page of the Enquirer. And lest we forget, the tabloids themselves were booming in the mid-1990s. The mainstream media also followed the skaters closely. They were like movie stars. There's nothing comparable today, not in skating or in any other sport.

vCash
    Does anyone recall an interview of Toller Cranston where he talked extensively about Oksanna and her spending habits? I know I read it but it's been so many years ago, I can't remember the details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Does anyone recall an interview of Toller Cranston where he talked extensively about Oksanna and her spending habits? I know I read it but it's been so many years ago, I can't remember the details.
    Vaguely. It might have been in one of his books. I didn't get the impression that Toller himself was especially frugal with money either.

More clearly, I recall the TV cameras following Oksana around while she went shopping. But it was portrayed as cute and fun, not as an example of reckless spending or anything like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferlyon View Post
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Seriously, I don't see how any of these skaters could have been prepared for the media onslaught. Before 1994, skating was more popular than it is now, but very rarely did any skater's behavior warrant tabloid attention. (Christopher Bowman was an exception.) During the skating boom, if any skater behaved badly, it was on the front page of the Enquirer. And lest we forget, the tabloids themselves were booming in the mid-1990s. The mainstream media also followed the skaters closely. They were like movie stars. There's nothing comparable today, not in skating or in any other sport.

Yep, Jen, you hit it right on the $$$. Seriously, they were literally rock stars! Ahhh, we lived through those days, what a gift, what a gift, memories.

And the smart ones saved their money and invested it wisely, knowing that the golden pot would end one day. But in case Oksana wasn't one of those, in her defense she was literally only a kid from a foreign country with no parents to guide her, an orphan. So if she was taken advantage of I hope she gets her day in court. This kinda reminds me of Jackie Coogan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Coogan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Yep, Jen, you hit it right on the $$$. Seriously, they were literally rock stars! Ahhh, we lived through those days, what a gift, what a gift, memories.

And the smart ones saved their money and invested it wisely, knowing that the golden pot would end one day. But in case Oksana wasn't one of those, in her defense she was literally only a kid from a foreign country with no parents to guide her, an orphan. So if she was taken advantage of I hope she gets her day in court. This kinda reminds me of Jackie Coogan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Coogan
    Yes, I thought of Jackie Coogan as well. And many others. If anyone's interested in reading more on the lives of child stars, I HIGHLY recommend "Hollywood's Children" by Diana Serra Cary. She writes from an insider's perspective, as she herself was a major child star of the 1920s. Back then, she was known as Baby Peggy. Today she is in her nineties and is one of the few surviving silent film stars. http://www.amazon.com/Hollywoods-Chi.../dp/0870744240

vCash
    I do feel sorry for Oksana, I know she's been adult for a while but it didn't seem like she had anyone who was truly looking out for her best interests, or guiding her transition from childhood to adulthood.
    I think the people around her were in a difficult situation. Let's face it, teenagers tend to be kind of know-it-all and think they have things figured out years before they really do. When you put that together with success that makes them financially independent, well, sometimes you get Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber, who make jackasses of themselves even though they do have parents that could or should be guiding them to adulthood. Once a kid is making a lot of of money, there is apparently nobody who can say no to them.

I think it kind of got that way with Oksana. I think Oksana was only 16 or 17 when she moved out into her own place. I remember at the time thinking that was a formula for trouble. I do remember some to-do when she suddenly changed agents within about a year or so of her OGM, which left Viktor and Galina ruffled. Since she was apparently able to make this decision herself, I'm thinking someone must have processed the legal paperwork to have her declared an emancipated minor.

vCash
    Although Oksana is one of my least favorite skaters, one thing that always made me feel bad for her was her telling an interviewer that she doesn't even have her OGM. I remember that Galina put it around her own neck at the Olympics and was bragging about it, and according to Oksana, Galina kept it. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but if it is, that's pretty disgusting.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    There are a number of more or less recent pictures of her with the OGM, so she must have gotten it back at some point.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456