Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    The top Pros were making big money during the 90's touring and performing in TV specials and Pro competitions. Oksana was one of the highest paid, receiving huge appearance fees. I remember an interview with Kurt Browning's agent back in the day, where he used the words "child abuse" to describe the way Oksana was being taken advantage of by her handlers.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The top Pros were making big money during the 90's touring and performing in TV specials and Pro competitions. Oksana was one of the highest paid, receiving huge appearance fees. I remember an interview with Kurt Browning's agent back in the day, where he used the words "child abuse" to describe the way Oksana was being taken advantage of by her handlers.
    Then Oksana may have a case.

The question of her legal guardian is a weird one. She wouldn't have been able to sign contracts without one, but apparently she didn't have one (Galina was not official?) Does that make Oksana's contracts void or illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I thought she was coaching in NJ for a while, even working with Morozov at times?
    She should stick to this route, IMO, but it's hard to do that once you are used to being a star.

Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Oksana has no professional skating career to speak of at the present time, and none for over five years. Coaching did not pan-out, and all her endeavors to find a rich husband have failed to date.

This woman is now 35 years of age with no formal education after the age of 12, a skating career that is definitely OVER, and she is soooooooo uneducated that she doesn't even characterize herself correctly with regard to nationality. (Remember her "Oprah" interview? When asked about drinking, she stated that the reason she can drink a lot without being drunk was that she, "was Russian...")

Um girl, you are not Russian AT ALL, but Ukrainian. She won the Olympics for Ukraine, not Russia.

Oksana is a mess and needs a career. I suggest Cosmotology School.
    That's not nice... She was raised so dysfunctionally what do you expect? Wasn't Ukraine part of Russia when Oksana was born, and had only recently become a country when she won the Olympics? Maybe that's why she calls herself Russian.

vCash
    I would love to see that Oprah interview

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Then Oksana may have a case.

The question of her legal guardian is a weird one. She wouldn't have been able to sign contracts without one, but apparently she didn't have one (Galina was not official?) Does that make Oksana's contracts void or illegal?

She should stick to this route, IMO, but it's hard to do that once you are used to being a star.

That's not nice... She was raised so dysfunctionally what do you expect? Wasn't Ukraine part of Russia when Oksana was born, and had only recently become a country when she won the Olympics? Maybe that's why she calls herself Russian.
    I do feel sorry for Oksana, I know she's been adult for a while but it didn't seem like she had anyone who was truly looking out for her best interests, or guiding her transition from childhood to adulthood.

Coaching does seem like a good option for her, although not everyone takes to teaching. And does she still have substance abuse issues?

As for the Russian-Ukranian thing, what were her parents background? Because my understanding that a lot of Russians were "moved" to other USSR republics.

Anyway, I don't know if this lawsuit has merit or not but if she does have a case, I hope she gets compensated, and regardless I hope she finds peace and happiness in the next stage of her life.

One does have to wonder how things may have turned out differently had she won the silver medal instead....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    One does have to wonder how things may have turned out differently had she won the silver medal instead....
    Stealing a married father and having a murderous brother?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Wasn't Ukraine part of Russia when Oksana was born, and had only recently become a country when she won the Olympics? Maybe that's why she calls herself Russian.
    Part of the Soviet Union, not Russia.

vCash
    I feel sorry for Oksana. She was a child with no real support system in 1994. And for years before and after. Whatever positive roles Galina and Victor Petrenko have had - they were not her parents. And frankly, Oksana was their cash cow; forced to perform with injuries, and taken advantage of by everyone in sight.

Who was looking out for Oksana's financial interests? Who was making sure she was spending her money wisely? Who was directing her towards improving her education? No one. I have met her. She made a horrible impression - rude, skittish, and unsophisticated. She seemed like a scared child, and she was not a child at this point. Oksana was put in a situation where she could not possibly succeed. All her later failures are direct result of not having a single person in her life who protected her - and put her interests ahead of their own. It is easy to judge her harshly, because she's become such a sad caricature. But as a mother, I understand it was the only possibly outcome. Put the same child in two drastically different situations, and you will see two drastically different outcomes.

vCash
    Very good point.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Shae Lynn View Post
    Put the same child in two drastically different situations, and you will see two drastically different outcomes.
    And put two different children in the same situation and you'll get two drastically different outcomes. Shrug.

People respond to the situations they are put in based on their personality, their background and their resources. Yes, some are dealt a worse hand than others. But I'm not big on people taking out their stuff and weighing it so the public can grade it and decide who has had it worse as I think that's not particularly productive. There are people who had it better than Baiul but there are people who had it worse too.

In the end, none of that matters. What matters is what you do with what you were given. At some point you have to take responsibility for how you choose to react to the hand you were dealt. These things happened 20 years ago. At what point to do you declare the past as being in the past and move on? For me, that point would have come ages ago.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I have to admit that as a long-time Oksana Baiul fan I've become exasperated with her over the years, but I still have a soft spot for her and have just always wished the best for her.

Here's hoping she gets her personal demons sorted out and gets on the right track, which sounds like she's doing.

But more importantly it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And put two different children in the same situation and you'll get two drastically different outcomes. Shrug.
    There is no such thing as the same situation for two different children. Different temperaments result in different interactions, parents preferring one over the other and giving it more time and attention, etc.

At some point you have to take responsibility for how you choose to react to the hand you were dealt. These things happened 20 years ago. At what point to do you declare the past as being in the past and move on? For me, that point would have come ages ago.
    It's very easy to say. You need to have resources in order to do so, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Wow, this is interesting, I'll have to read the thread from the beginning, but I saw your name, jenniferlyon, so I decided to open it (99.9% of the time I never ever open threads about Oksana because I don't want to read all the negativity ).

Nice research, jen, and that last article in particular is what caught my attention, so she's become adept at realty, cool. And that house is to-die-for. She should keep it. jmho.
    Hi, Nadine! I know exactly what you mean about threads. We've both been there and done that. That was such a long time ago...

vCash
    Why does everyone think that Galina and Victor only regarded her as a cash cow? I watched her olympic skate and in the end she was crying and hugging Galina, and Victor and G&G were cheering. Looks like she did have some friends and support, but sadly something happen. I was always hoping that relationship would end better. Now this, kind of a slap in the face for them. Not saying I believe they were completely innocent, but guessing she wasn't either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Part of the Soviet Union, not Russia.
    The city in Ukraine where Oksana grew up is (or at least was) mostly Russian. I know she also has some Hungarian Jewish heritage on her mother's side. Years ago, when Viktor used to serve as Oksana's translator, someone from the online skating community remarked that Viktor spoke Russian with a heavy Ukrainian dialect while Oksana did not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Stealing a married father and having a murderous brother?
    I obviously haven't kept up with all the drama over the years because I have no idea what you're referring to.

ETA- oh wait, you mean Nancy- got it!

vCash

People respond to the situations they are put in based on their personality, their background and their resources. Yes, some are dealt a worse hand than others. But I'm not big on people taking out their stuff and weighing it so the public can grade it and decide who has had it worse as I think that's not particularly productive. There are people who had it better than Baiul but there are people who had it worse too.

In the end, none of that matters. What matters is what you do with what you were given. At some point you have to take responsibility for how you choose to react to the hand you were dealt. These things happened 20 years ago. At what point to do you declare the past as being in the past and move on? For me, that point would have come ages ago.
    I hope Oksana does get to a place where she can forgive and let go. But at the same time, if the allegations in those legal documents are true or partly true, then I can understand why she would want to fight for her money. That kid worked constantly. It doesn't matter whether she is a nice person or a stable person, or whether she's drinking again. If somebody stole her money, she should get it back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    I obviously haven't kept up with all the drama over the years because I have no idea what you're referring to.
    heckles was referring to Nancy Kerrigan. Her husband/agent was married to someone else at the time they became romantically involved. Some years ago, Nancy's mentally ill brother allegedly murdered their father, but from what I recall from the news stories at that time, Nancy and her mother believe the father died from a heart attack and that the brother is innocent.

Watch me move
    vCash
    And Elizabeth Punsalan's dad was killed by her brother, but her brother was found mentally unfit to stand trial
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    There is no such thing as the same situation for two different children. Different temperaments result in different interactions, parents preferring one over the other and giving it more time and attention, etc.
    I was speaking hypothetically. We all know people who have had every bad thing thrown at them in life but continue to make the best of it and aren't bitter and often manage to thrive once they get into a situation where they have some control while other people are totally beaten down by those same (or very similar) circumstances. And we know people are who beaten down by what seems like almost nothing as well. And we also know people who have been given every advantage and yet manage to screw it up at every opportunity as well.

My point is that people are acting like Baiul's current state is inevitable given her early life and I'm just saying that not everyone in her position makes the choices she did. People would be a lot less complicated if they were that predictable, but they aren't.

It's very easy to say. You need to have resources in order to do so, though.
    It's not like Baiul has no resources to make a good life for herself. According to friends who took lessons from her, she's actually an excellent coach. She could easily make six figures a year coaching even without the Gold Medal and, with it, she can supplement that with various appearance fees and be quite well off.

Actually, I'm not even sure I agree that Baiul has made a complete mess of her life the way that some people in this thread would have us believe. The way some of you talk, Baiul was swindled out of ALL of her money (not just some of it) and is now a friendless, destitute drunk and I just don't think that's true. She's a mom, she has a fantastic house, and she has friends. It's not clear she isn't sober either. On top of that, she's pretty, she's personable and she's talented.

None of that is anything to sneeze at or pity.

Maybe she could have more money in the bank or have done more with what she was given and this lawsuit seems pretty crazy to me, but that doesn't mean her life completely sucks and she's a total failure either. I guess all this "poor little orphan that everyone takes advantage of" talk rubs me the wrong way. She's not still 16 and barely speaking English any more and needs someone to take care of her. She's a grown-up now and it seems a little disrespectful to act like she's still that kid who won that OGM two decades ago and hadn't changed at all.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    She's a mom
    When did she become a mother?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast