Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Sorry, but Oksana has been an adult for many years now, and it's time to stop blaming everyone but herself for her problems. Yes, she had a rough childhood, but she's a grownup and by now she should have had some idea how to take care of herself and her money. Oksana seems to have just morphed her life into one tragedy after another. This is pretty obviously an "I'll sue everyone so that I can at least get some money somewhere" move. If she truly has been cheated, then I hope she gets compensated. However, I think this is more a case of her blowing all her money on expensive living, having minimal skating career left, and now deciding once again that she's the poor orphan who everyone misused. It's time for her to grow up.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I don't understand all the aspects of the lawsuit, or how much she is claiming she was cheated.

But I have three questions:

Who was Oksana's legal guardian when she came to the US in 1994, as a 16 year old, and signed those contracts? (Or had she petitioned to be an emancipated minor, as some young actors do?

Did her lawyers and agents provide her with a language interpreter?

vCash
    I assume Galina was Oksana's legal guardian, but I'm not sure. I doubt she would have had the knowledge or the wherewithal to become an emancipated minor. Her English was pretty basic then and seeing as how she had just arrived from the former USSR, I doubt she would have been aware that emancipation was even an option. Plus, she wasn't a U.S. citizen. (I don't know if she later became one or not.)

vCash
    I didn't catch the entire show, but didn't ESPN do a special called "Broke" about athletes who made and lost fortunes? Was Oksana featured in this?

vCash
    Did her lawyers and agents provide her with a language interpreter?
    I can't answer that question although I hope there were bilingual advisors or interpreters involved. I am pretty sure of one thing - the US agent repping Baiul who negotiated the largest (to that time) performing contract for a female skater on her behalf speaks Russian. The contract was recording-setting at the time.

I am not sure if this thing will ever get to trial so we may not hear any details. I have to read all the complaints (which I haven't had the time to do yet) to see if language is cited as a major issue but I am sure her lawyer will play the "taking advantage of a the little lost Ukrainian girl in the big city" card long and loud - well, that's his job. Please remember this is a woman who made millions, many. I am more interested in who was authorized to negotiate and sign on behalf of a minor. Also please remember that even if she didn't understand everything, the point is for someone to negotiate in the best faith on behalf of the minor - if a contract was explained thoroughly to a child, the child still might choose extra lollipops over dollar bills - not the situation here of course but you get my drift. While being looped into the discussions in one's language is important, a minor's view of what a contract should contain isn't ever the point.

Also, is it that they are complaining about the structure of the agreements or rather (and this is my guess) the implementation of the agreements. For instance, her complaint against Disson Skating is that they used her image and name to promote a show for which she had not signed an agreement and then when she didn't do those shows she looked like a 'no show' and that damaged her reputation. Not clear at all to me that Disson wasn't employing common operating procedures for skating show marketing but we'll see - the point is that this has nothing to do with not understanding but rather with the, as the complaint says, timing of her overall contract signing with WME (if indeed that should have affected the Disson show situation at all).
    Last edited by Willowway; 10-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Rex, I watched that documentary - ESPN's "Broke" was part of its series 30 for 30.

It was excellent, but for the fact it focused only on male pro athletes - basketball players, football, baseball - those who sign big contracts when they are right out of high school or college. The documentary did explain that question that we (and they) have: where did all that money go? Spent too fast, often on family, friends, hangers on, but sometimes on terrible investments. (Not to mention, 10 percent to agents, 10+ percent to managers, more to publicists, and right of the top - taxes!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    Rex, I watched that documentary - ESPN's "Broke" was part of its series 30 for 30.

It was excellent, but for the fact it focused only on male pro athletes - basketball players, football, baseball - those who sign big contracts when they are right out of high school or college. The documentary did explain that question that we (and they) have: where did all that money go? Spent too fast, often on family, friends, hangers on, but sometimes on terrible investments. (Not to mention, 10 percent to agents, 10+ percent to managers, more to publicists, and right of the top - taxes!)
    Wow, that is too bad. I think that Dorothy Hamill and Oksana would have made excellent subjects for the show. Dorothy mismanaged her funds too, or rather one of her husbands did, IIRC.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    If Oksana is so hard-up for money, is there a reason she can't coach? She could make a comfortable living and would have clients lined up to take from her.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    For those of you who asked me for a link to the complaint, the rules of the NY Supreme Court prevent me from posting a link to its website on another website w/o advance permission. But I can tell you how to get there --

Search for New York Supreme Court NY County Civil Division - it is part of the ny courts website, but this will get you to the right part
    Under Quick Links on the right is a link to Case Information (SCROLL)
    At some point, you'll have to do the authentication (enter some letters/numbers) on the right
    Choose the second link for Supreme Court Records Online Library or SCROLL
    In the second field "Plaintiff" enter Baiul
    You will see a list - the first case # is her old case against a variety of defendants she alleged used her photo in an ad when she hadn't contracted to appear yet
    The second case #653491-2013 is the one you want - click on the number next to any of the Defendant names
    You will see a list of documents numbered in reverse order - scroll down to #1 Summons and Complaint, the rest are affidavits and exhibits
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    If Oksana is so hard-up for money, is there a reason she can't coach? She could make a comfortable living and would have clients lined up to take from her.
    I thought she was coaching in NJ for a while, even working with Morozov at times?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Rob, thanks for the help!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I thought she was coaching in NJ for a while, even working with Morozov at times?
    She has also coached in LA.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Banned Member
    vCash
    Oksana has no professional skating career to speak of at the present time, and none for over five years. Coaching did not pan-out, and all her endeavors to find a rich husband have failed to date.

This woman is now 35 years of age with no formal education after the age of 12, a skating career that is definitely OVER, and she is soooooooo uneducated that she doesn't even characterize herself correctly with regard to nationality. (Remember her "Oprah" interview? When asked about drinking, she stated that the reason she can drink a lot without being drunk was that she, "was Russian...")

Um girl, you are not Russian AT ALL, but Ukrainian. She won the Olympics for Ukraine, not Russia.

Oksana is a mess and needs a career. I suggest Cosmotology School.

vCash
    Do you feel better after emptying your venom sac? I'm genuinely curious. Obviously the relief doesn't last long, as I keep seeing you spouting "SorryBoutItLuv" or whatever shite catchphrase you're using all over the place.

It's "Cosmetology" by the way.
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post

Oksana is a mess and needs a career. I suggest Cosmotology School.
    hey that's mean

vCash
    Gosh knows, Oksana doesn't need us beating up on her unnecessarily. The one fact in the pairsk8fan's post that sounds about right is that Oksana hasn't seemed to coach or teach for quite a while now unless she has picked that up again in Pennsylvania where she now lives. She spent some time at my local rink a while back (2 years ago or so) and came often to get on the ice but did not teach and rarely really practiced for any length of time. She clearly wanted to be on the ice or she wouldn't have come regularly and she was pleasant enough to the kids, but her purposes once on the ice seemed murky. I felt for her - she very often looked well, lost, just lost. Who knows - maybe I was just reading too much into it.
    Last edited by Willowway; 10-17-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I can't help but think that if the Hollywood powers-to-be wanted to bilk someone of all of their earnings, they would go after someone who has a lot more money, or had a lot more money. The way this story is unfolding reminds me more and more of Randy Quaid and his wife and their "battle" against the "starwhackers":
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...claim-1.895802
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I kept wondering about Viennese's question re: who was Oksana's legal guardian, so I did some Internet searching. As far as I can tell, Oksana didn't have a legal guardian. But I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, my search found this:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...-country-home/

I don't know if she sold the house or if it's still on the market. Looks like a nice place!

vCash
    OK, I went through the steps in Rob's post and found the legal complaint. It's a 100-plus page document! I didn't read the whole thing, but as far as I can tell it doesn't sound like Galina ever was Oksana's legal guardian; she is not described as such in the legal case. Indeed, the case appears to hinge on Galina and others acting on Oksana's behalf and pocketing her $$$ with no legal right to do so. But I am not a lawyer, so I don't know.

vCash
    Wow, this is interesting, I'll have to read the thread from the beginning, but I saw your name, jenniferlyon, so I decided to open it (99.9% of the time I never ever open threads about Oksana because I don't want to read all the negativity ).

Nice research, jen, and that last article in particular is what caught my attention, so she's become adept at realty, cool. And that house is to-die-for. She should keep it. jmho.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast