Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Aw, chucks. So sorry for Smirnov (& Yuko, who is now sidelined). Horrible timing. In a best-case scenario, how much time is required to heal this sort of injury?
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 10-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    This is awful. Wishing Smirny a miraculously speedy recovery. They do happen sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Injury causing falls can happen any time, anywhere. It's just bad luck.
    This, speaking from personal experience.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    From their master class last month

SP
    FS
    Ugh, and the FS is probably one of the best, if not the best FS they've ever done too. The music isn't as sweeping and romantic as last year's FS, but this program is even more striking. Skated well, it would have brought the house down in Sochi.

Crushing.

vCash
    Smirnov will fly to Germany on Saturday morning, accompanied by Moskvina, and will be operated there over the weekend ( as per interview with Piseev http://www.stadium.ru/News/11-10-201...ii-v-vikhodnie No prognosis and no details of the extent of the injury (more will be known after surgery); Piseev thanks German Consulate for speedy help, as well as doctors who assisted)
    Last edited by dinakt; 10-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Good to know that the medical arrangements are in place. I am not completely giving up yet on them. Smirnov u can do it!!!!

Quadless
    vCash
    Am hoping they can pull a Shen and Zhao and come back in time, with a podium finish.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Ah, awful, awful for Smirny Hopefully he will be able to make a full recovery (((Smirnov & Kavaguti)))
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Very very sad. I hope that he will recover soon. They have a saying here in Montevideo (where I am right now) that mathematically, this is possible, so I hope maths will be friendly to Smirnov.
    Poor Kavaguti and Moskvina, too. it is just devastating.

vCash
    If Alexander is anything like his partner Yuko than I predict they'll be good to go by Nationals, but definitely by the time the Olympics gets here. Seriously, pair skaters are tough, especially ones like Yuko. Heck, she never even flinched when she dislocated her shoulder like the hundredth time and it was put back in place and she skated!

vCash
    As crazy as it sounds, it is possible to keep skating with ā complete ACL tear. Basketball player Blair comes to mind. There has to be stability in the knee to even consider that. This is likely a career ending injury and it usually takes 6 months minimum after surgery. The huge pain usually means complete ACL tear. I would be surprised if it was something else. He must have done thousands of 3T in his life and this one was the unpredictable one. Very sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    How horribly sad for them!

Am I missing something?
    I think this poster meant her reaction, or rather non-reaction directly after the fall (see the video).

I am very sad about the injury, I really like their skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    From their master class last month

SP
    FS
    Thank you very much. What a pity that we very likely won't see those programs skated at any international competitions. But perhaps at their last Worlds if Smirnov is more or less okay by then, and if they think it's worth going there after (again, very likely) not getting to Olympics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    As crazy as it sounds, it is possible to keep skating with ā complete ACL tear. Basketball player Blair comes to mind. There has to be stability in the knee to even consider that. This is likely a career ending injury and it usually takes 6 months minimum after surgery. The huge pain usually means complete ACL tear. I would be surprised if it was something else. He must have done thousands of 3T in his life and this one was the unpredictable one. Very sad.
    He tore his patellar tendon, not the ACL, so he definitely needs surgery. Anyway, basketball is a very different sport from figure skating, and I don't think that a figure skater could skate without an ACL.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    He tore his patellar tendon, not the ACL, so he definitely needs surgery. Anyway, basketball is a very different sport from figure skating, and I don't think that a figure skater could skate without an ACL.
    I can definitely confirm this from my own ACL tear experience. If you partially tear your ACL, then it is possible to rehab the knee and strengthen the surrounding muscles enough to compensate for it. Complete ACL tears usually come with some damage of the MCL or LCL, which would definitely impact the stability kirbiggestfan mentioned earlier. I had a hard time pivoting around when someone called my name in the office, never mind trying to skate or land a jump on the same ACL-less right knee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Good to know that the medical arrangements are in place. I am not completely giving up yet on them. Smirnov u can do it!!!!
    Be realistic. We are are now in October. The Olympics are in 4 month's time. Even if the injury was something 'simple', just a routine operation such as meniscus, he would come back on the ice the earliest in 6 weeks after the surgery (and that only if he is really pushing it). Saying that, he wouldn't be able to jump yet for another at least a month. That would leave him only with 1.5 month to get back to shape and regain all his jumps. So at the time of Olympics he potentially would be able to skate the program, but no way he would be competitive with it.

The problem is that it seems he has something much worse than just meniscus. If he has torn his tendons or a ligament, the recovery will be much longer and he will return on the ice much later than in six weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I can definitely confirm this from my own ACL tear experience. If you partially tear your ACL, then it is possible to rehab the knee and strengthen the surrounding muscles enough to compensate for it. Complete ACL tears usually come with some damage of the MCL or LCL, which would definitely impact the stability kirbiggestfan mentioned earlier. I had a hard time pivoting around when someone called my name in the office, never mind trying to skate or land a jump on the same ACL-less right knee.
    I think it also depends where exactly and how you tear the ACL. I don't have personal experience with ACL, I have experience only with torn meniscus which is much smaller injury, but while a lot of people can still walk with torn meniscus, I was not able to put my weight on that leg at all. I couldn't do even one step; not only because of the pain but the leg was collapsing under me. I suspect with ACL it may be the same - someone may be lucky and be able to walk, someone else may not be able to walk at all.

vCash
    Sasha in a hospital celebrating his birthday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

He is smiling...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Sasha in a hospital celebrating his birthday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

He is smiling...
    What can I say? I have smile and tears at the same time seeing the photo.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I just now finally watched their FS from the master class. How very very sad for Moskvina, Yuko and Smirny. I'm heartbroken for them and for us - I think it's the best FS they've ever had. I found both music and choreo completely compelling. :
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I think it also depends where exactly and how you tear the ACL. I don't have personal experience with ACL, I have experience only with torn meniscus which is much smaller injury, but while a lot of people can still walk with torn meniscus, I was not able to put my weight on that leg at all. I couldn't do even one step; not only because of the pain but the leg was collapsing under me. I suspect with ACL it may be the same - someone may be lucky and be able to walk, someone else may not be able to walk at all.
    Same thing happened to me, bad meniscus tear and I couldn't walk at all. Knee immobilizer helped until I had surgery. Now, I'm not an athlete at all but I was down for a full six weeks after surgery and honestly, it took a year before my knee felt as stable as it was before. I couldn't imagine skating or lifting a partner but then again, I'm not a world class skater! Wishing Smirnov all the best in his recovery!

ETA: if you check my username, you will see how I managed to mess up my knee, lol!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast