Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Korean Plastic Surgery

http://viewmixed.com/crazy-before-an...surgery-2/2809

I don't really have a comment on this but was just curious if anyone else did. The first time through I could see a lot of jaw work, then I went through it again and noticed alot of eye work too. Still can't tell what #2, 14, 15 had done. Obviously, there is a certain look that is desired.

I just had surgery and my throat was raw for a week from the breathing tube. I'll be living with my flaws since I really don't want to go through that again. Though I have now had surgery in a plastic surgery clinic and a hospital. The clinic was much nicer than the hospital - the hospital is chaos.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Wow..incredible.. They look so different before and after. They all look like film stars! I want plastic surgery too
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I wonder how they changed the jaw lines on a few of those. I thought you had to basically live with the jaw you were born with - maybe a little bit of shaving but those look completely different.
    pug lover

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I saw a TV story about this. The jaw changing is major, major surgery, not like a nosejob, and involves breaking the jaw and six months of wearing an appliance. The chances of something going wrong are definitely there, affecting ability to eat and speak.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    I wonder how they changed the jaw lines on a few of those.
    Photoshop?

Seriously I don't think any "before" and "after" shots are ever the real thing and even if they have some basis in reality are photoshopped to such an extent to make them not real. Several of the pictures that i presume were to show new eye shape had a huge increase in the size of the iris....which isn't even surgically possible.

vCash
    Interesting links. It's well known among wealthy Asian women that Korea is the place to go for plastic surgery. Some of these photos are incredible, I also wonder if they are touched up. A few are scary, like Miss Martian Eyes.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    #2 had her eyes lifted so they look more "open." Probably by tweaking the lid fold and brow bones to show more sclera. Sadly Asian eye types are often considered less desirable. (She's also either lost weight or is holding her head at a different angle and is wearing really pale makeup to make her face look thinner.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    #2 had her eyes lifted so they look more "open." Probably by tweaking the lid fold and brow bones to show more sclera. Sadly Asian eye types are often considered less desirable.
    Ugh! This again.... Her post-surgery eyes still look Asian. Seriously.

When Asians in Asia go for eye surgeries, they don't usually ask for Caucasian eyes or other race's eyes. They usually ask for a natural looking, double eye-lids - ones that look like the naturally occurring double-eyelid in Asians.

Maybe Asians living in western countries think "Asian eye types" are less desirable because they have to grow up believing their eyes are "slanted", but let me assure you, that is not usually the case in Asia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I saw a TV story about this. The jaw changing is major, major surgery, not like a nosejob, and involves breaking the jaw and six months of wearing an appliance. The chances of something going wrong are definitely there, affecting ability to eat and speak.
    Who cares when you're

vCash
    In pretty much all of the examples, the "after" pictures also have more professional-looking glamour lighting, makeup, and hairstyle, and the facial expressions, while not smiling broadly, are slightly smiling instead of neutral or frowning.

So I have to wonder how many of these people would have been happy with their looks if given photos employing all those techniques without undergoing surgery.

Or how many were happy with the glamour photos after surgery but less happy back home in natural lighting doing their own makeup or wearing none.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think one of the guys had a chin implant which is no big deal.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    No way all those photos are for real. Your jaw don't just disappear like that, even with surgery!With photoshop otoh...

One of the guys had surgery to look like One Direction:p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Photoshop?

Seriously I don't think any "before" and "after" shots are ever the real thing and even if they have some basis in reality are photoshopped to such an extent to make them not real. Several of the pictures that i presume were to show new eye shape had a huge increase in the size of the iris....which isn't even surgically possible.
    I think they are NOT photoshop. It is possible to change one's looks quite completely. This SBS Insight program titled "Beauty Race" showed the before and after of one girl. And man, she 'upgraded' whatever she could on her face. You can see the difference here.

Here's another vid looking at the phenomena of K-pop on plastic surgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy
    One of the guys had surgery to look like One Direction:p
    Not surprising. They choose whom they wish to look like!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Thanks for those links spiky. Despite my bf dancing gangham style in the basement, I didn't know K-pop was such a big industry.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Yep. In many cases it's not merely a cosmetic problem--you can't CHEW because your jaws are so misaligned, and the misalignment can lead to a lot of pain, and the best solution is to break your jaw, graft, put in plates, you name it. Potentially really life-changing if successful, though--greatly improved nutrition, less pain. There were a couple of people there who clearly had major underbites or overbites.

(But yes, the lighting & makeup & hairdos made a huge difference, too.)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    South Korea has the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world. ALL of their celebrities look exactly the same. This is not a coincidence.

I know exactly what I would "have" to get done to be an East Asian celebrity. This is how formulaic it is.

1. Double eyelid surgery. They would probably do something about how my eyes bug out too, but I don't want to know what. :
    2. Shave my jaw. I get my extremely angular jaw from my dad, and it would be like erasing my dad from my face. But no way is my face shape delicate and feminine. It would have be rid of.
    3. Hair transplants on the front of my scalp? I actually have a lot of hair, but you can't tell by my hairline.
    4. What the hell, remove a few ribs while I'm at it.
    5. Almost forgot! Nose job, duh!

Not all East Asian women have tiny frames, either. Many do starve themselves to be thin, and there is HUGE pressure to be thin.

I'm really glad my parents put no emphasis on my being pretty. (As it is, the only people who have described me as pretty are not East Asian. ) I have a Korean friend who developed an acid reflux problem because her mother insisted on her wearing a corset all the time, to train her waist.
    Last edited by Anita18; 10-12-2013 at 04:25 AM.

vCash
    Maybe Asians living in western countries think "Asian eye types" are less desirable because they have to grow up believing their eyes are "slanted", but let me assure you, that is not usually the case in Asia.
    I have exactly the opposite opinion. Most, maybe all, of the Asians (living in Asia) I've ever spoken to have hated their Asian-looking eyes, and wanted non-Asian eyes, less slant, more open. Several friends have had surgery to get "Caucasian eyes". It's right up there with wanting white/lighter, less "yellow" skin.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I have exactly the opposite opinion. Most, maybe all, of the Asians (living in Asia) I've ever spoken to have hated their Asian-looking eyes, and wanted non-Asian eyes, less slant, more open. Several friends have had surgery to get "Caucasian eyes". It's right up there with wanting white/lighter, less "yellow" skin.
    This never made sense to me, because our "Asian-looking" eyes mostly stems from a distinct lack of browbones, along with the fat in our eyelids that make our eyes look smaller. (Although many Japanese have strong browbones.)

To make my eyes look like Alf's, they would have to do A LOT more than just give me an eyelid fold. And I expect the result would be rather Neanderthal-looking.

I think claiming to want "Caucasian" eyes is oversimplifying it, even though that's what many East Asians do claim to want. There are many Caucasian celebrities who are thought to be gorgeous, who have small eyes. And even people who've have the eyelid surgery, they don't look Caucasian, they just look like a more mainstream attractive Asian, and that's enough for them.

My lack of double eyelids always precluded me from being attractive in an East Asian sense. My sister has them with help from the genetic lottery (my mom does, but my dad does not) and she's been told many, many times how "lucky" she is. Just because her eyelids just happen to fold. I've since gotten over it, with a healthy dose of "eff you" attitude to whoever might think it was a flaw, but it was difficult when I was a teenager and cared about such things.

vCash
    I have exactly the opposite opinion. Most, maybe all, of the Asians (living in Asia) I've ever spoken to have hated their Asian-looking eyes, and wanted non-Asian eyes, less slant, more open. Several friends have had surgery to get "Caucasian eyes".
    Obviously I can't speak for the Asian people you've talked to, but if you see before and after cosmetic surgeries photos, the after photos usually still have "Asian Eyes", just bigger, with double-eyelids. Some people seem to mistake these post-surgery eyes for "Caucasian Eyes". This is not so.

Most Asians get a blepharoplasty and not a Epicanthoplasty. The former will give a bigger "Asian eyes" with double-eyelids, the latter will give a "Caucasian Eyes". So these friends of yours, did they get the Blepharoplasty or the Epicanthoplasty?

It's right up there with wanting white/lighter, less "yellow" skin.
    Silly Asians... We all know white people tan like crazy to be more like black people....

vCash
    http://eyemd.wordpress.com/2007/02/0...d-genetically/

This has a write up of the physical (structural) differences resulting in single v double eyelids. Also theorizes that single eyelids - author calls them artic eyelids - are a evolutionary adaption to cold.
    What would Jenny do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast