Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    Paul Martini worked as a commentator at the Olympics in '98 while also there as the coach for Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon & Luc Bradet.
    He actually commentated pairs then, with a secondary coach taking care of Marie-Claude and Luc? I really need to dig out my Nagano tapes, it's been so long.

I guess that would be an option, though seems a shame for the skaters not to have their main coach rinkside at such a moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    Paul Martini worked as a commentator at the Olympics in '98 while also there as the coach for Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon & Luc Bradet.
    I'm not sure Martini was in Nagano as an accredited coach - I think he was there as a CBC commentator. Savard-Gagnon / Bradet had their choreographer Marijane Stong with them as a coach in Nagano. I think Martini was in the booth with Bezic (and if I remember, he was very critical of Savard-Gagnon / Bradet who did not not skate well..and almost stopped, because she had a bad cold). So I think, although yes, he was their coach at the time..I don't think he was in Nagano in the capacity of coach.

vCash
    She had the flu and likely gave it to him IIRC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Regarding Federica Testa, she told me she should receive the citizenship at the beginning of November.
    Here is a article officially confirming that Frederica received her Slovak citizenship.

http://sport.pravda.sk/zimne-sporty/...-na-olympiade/

Use google translate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    Here is a article officially confirming that Frederica received her Slovak citizenship.

http://sport.pravda.sk/zimne-sporty/...-na-olympiade/

Use google translate.
    but testa didn't qualify with ehr partner? are they next-in-the-line, when the lithuanias might pull out?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I hope this isn't true and if it is opening a politcal can of worms, I apologise in advance. Apparently there is an alleged legal dispute regarding Australia's Brooklee Han's eligibility that is currently awaiting trial. Having said that, I have searched the ISA site and Google and there is no evidence of anything in the press.

I question it because why either the AOC or ISA would do this AFTER the Olympic qualification event last September is puzzling. Would the trial have been prompted by a third party instead?

If someone can enlighten me otherwise with a news link, that would be appreciated.

Further, the athlete has dual citizenship, skated for Australia for the past 5 years, not only helping to raise the profile of the sport in this country, but earning us a spot in Sochi. Han's Junior Grand Prix and World Junior placements have also allowed other Australian skaters to take part on the junior circuit as well.

Han's international results this season indicate that if sent to Sochi, she would finish around 17th or 18th place.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 11-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I hope this isn't true and if it is opening a politcal can of worms, I apologise in advance. Apparently there is an alleged legal dispute regarding Australia's Brooklee Han's eligibility that is currently awaiting trial. Having said that, I have searched the ISA site and Google and there is no evidence of anything in the press.
    Her Australian citizenship is under dispute?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    According to the source of the information, it appears that could be the case. I hope it is only hot air and nothing more.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 11-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    but testa didn't qualify with ehr partner? are they next-in-the-line, when the lithuanias might pull out?
    They are first reserve, when anyone can't fill up their quota places they are going. She also needed it for Universiade in December.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    According to the source of the information, it appears that could be the case. I hope it is only hot air and nothing more.
    I don't want to accuse anybody of anything without having the correct information so I am just speculating but it seems to me that the only person who could benefit from Han not being able to compete at the Olympics is Chantelle Kerry who is the other Australian senior lady with the required minimum points.

Quote Originally Posted by ivagall View Post
    They are first reserve, when anyone can't fill up their quota places they are going. She also needed it for Universiade in December.
    And Tobias isn't likely to get the citizenship. Whilst theoretically I would be the last person to come to the defence of a wealthy person buying their way into competing at Olympics, she has proven to be a great, committed performer over the years, she is part of the only high profile skater/team that Lithuania has at the moment and she did manage to master the very difficult Lithuanian language to the point where she speaks it fluently so honestly give her a break!

But yes, unless the Lithuanian government chills out (very unlikely), Testa and Csolley are in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't want to accuse anybody of anything without having the correct information so I am just speculating but it seems to me that the only person who could benefit from Han not being able to compete at the Olympics is Chantelle Kerry who is the other Australian senior lady with the required minimum points.
    If Ice Skating Australia were to send Kerry to the Olympics, and one takes into consideration those skaters' point totals from the 2013 world championships and her current personal best scores taken from the ISU site, both indicate that Chantelle would finish around 28th in Sochi after the short program.

Having looked at that however, both Han and Kerry achieved higher short program point totals this in international events (not recognised by the ISU for personal best scoring purposes).

Kerry achieved 53.82 for her short program at Skate Down Under in August and Han achieved 53.95 for her short program at the Volvo Open in November.

For their free programs, Han earned 98.42 at the Nebelhorn Trophy (recognised by the ISU for personal best scoring purposes) and Kerry achieved 83.74 at Skate Down Under.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 11-25-2013 at 11:35 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If Australia is looking at the two for consistency and strength, Han has met the Worlds TES minimums for the SP and FS four times each in 20 tries in the last two seasons of international competition. In 14 tries, Kerry has made the SP TES minimum once and has never met the Worlds minimum.

If there's a tactic regarding Han's citizenship, and it is successful, then Kerry would have to make the Worlds TES minimums before whatever the deadline is for Japan Worlds.

What are Germany's criteria for the second dance team? Kolbe/Caruso were 8th at Euros last season.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    What are Germany's criteria for the second dance team? Kolbe/Caruso were 8th at Euros last season.
    I think that the German Olympic Committee is requiring a high points minimum (in Pairs, only S/S and W/W met it so far) but I don't know what the exact values are (a poster on GS said Pairs was 155 IIRC).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Vartmann/Van Cleave must be disappointed at their results so far this season, even if Van Cleave does get citizenship in time. It's good to see the Wendes back and strong after the last year they had.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Is Monica Simancikova going to Sochi for Slovakia, or would Nicole Rajicova who's having a better season thus far be eligible to go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Vartmann/Van Cleave must be disappointed at their results so far this season, even if Van Cleave does get citizenship in time. It's good to see the Wendes back and strong after the last year they had.
    They indeed haven't met the minimum scores yet. Even if they did, I think that W/W would almost surely be selected scoring much better this season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Is Monica Simancikova going to Sochi for Slovakia, or would Nicole Rajicova who's having a better season thus far be eligible to go?
    Good question. Rajicova deserves to go based on this season's results. Does she have citizenship though (being US-born)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Rajicova deserves to go based on this season's results. Does she have citizenship though (being US-born)?
    Both her parents are from Slovakia, so she should automatically get citizenship, I think. It would be good to get that confirmed by someone who knows this better than I do, though

http://www.cas.sk/clanok/244559/kras...slovenska.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...%28Slovakia%29

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Brooklee Han holds a valid Australian passport so her citizenship could not possibly be in dispute. Chantelle Kerry is the daughter of Monica McDonald.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    On the Slovak skating association site it mentioned that since Monica earned the spot it is hers, it was posted the same time as the JGP assignments but I can't find it now.

vCash
    If Nicole has citizenship, then that's not really fair to send Monika when Nicole's been having the much better season (including just medaling at Ice Challenge, where Monika didn't even make the top 10).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast