Kostner Softie
    vCash

Sit Spin Pointers

Ugh... Those damn sit spins...

I don't understand why they're taking me forever to learn. I work on them weekly, but it seems to me that they're not improving, and I think my coach is gonna give up on me learning this move any time now

Generally speaking, are there any pointers for someone trying to learn how to do a proper sit spin? and for targeted advice, I think my problems can be summarized as follows:

1) I keep falling onto the inside edge, can''t keep it on a flat or on the outside edge
    2) my free leg keeps bending whenever I bring it around. I don't know why, but I can't keep it straight in front of me.

1 day I'll get it. one day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Generally speaking, are there any pointers for someone trying to learn how to do a proper sit spin? and for targeted advice, I think my problems can be summarized as follows:

1) I keep falling onto the inside edge, can''t keep it on a flat or on the outside edge
    Do you mean you are trying a back sit spin? If you are doing a regular forward sit spin then you should be spinning on your inside edge, granted the edge should be a tight one rather than drawing big circles on the ice which can happen if you collapse into the ankle too much, but you'd only be on an outside edge in a sit spin if you were attempting an edge change for levels in a forward sit, or if you were doing a back sit.

2) my free leg keeps bending whenever I bring it around. I don't know why, but I can't keep it straight in front of me.
    I think this is just a slytlistic (and coach) difference e.g. in this combintion spin, the sit spin position has the leg straight out in a shoot the duck position, but some skaters use a more bent knee with the free leg wrapping around the spinning leg (i'm struggling to think of a skater now that i can link to for this way).

I suspect if you are falling onto a very deep inside edge (and drawing big circles on the ice) actually using the bent free leg position would help you stay more upright on the spinning foot.

vCash
    but some skaters use a more bent knee with the free leg wrapping around the spinning leg (i'm struggling to think of a skater now that i can link to for this way).
    Here is a video of someone who angles their leg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNky2XvVblM&noredirect=1

But it isn't the typical bent free leg that create a hole between the legs (which I what I thought of when the OP described bent knee). That is very common among beginners, and generally considered to be a mistake (at least with the judges I've talked to) in the position. It just requires practice and strength to keep that knee straight and the legs together.

If the OP is an adult skater, I will say this can be a very difficult element for many skaters, and for some it takes years. (I worked on mine steadily for 3-4 years before it was even acceptable. One thing that helped was to change from a wind up entrance to a 3 turn entrance- I was able to get more speed in the entrance and more momentum going into the position. It still sucks, but the judges passed it in my bronze test. I'm working on variations now, but still not really 'sitting'. I've accepted that is never going to happen. This is me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X3P...o&noredirect=1. You'll notice in the basic position my leg is bent, but I'm doing my best to keep them together and not create the "toilet bowl seat", as my coaches call it, you get from wrapping- but there is space there. It is not perfect: just practice practice practice and sometimes it is better.)

Also to point 1, if you are falling it might mean your hips aren't level.

vCash
    Skittl1321, that's a really nice spin, I like the variation in position.

Agreed that sit spins can be hard for a lot of adults, and that most of us are never going to "sit" as far down as younger skaters - which has been a sore point for judging adults in Canada, but that's another topic. I too don't think that the free leg has to be perfectly straight; I actually think it looks nicer with a bit of knee bend and the free foot turned out and crossed over a bit (this may be the wrapped leg that antmanb is talking about). Mr. FAN, maybe if you tried that leg position, you would have an easier time keeping the edge - if you are spinning with the leg straight out in front of you, it's probably harder to keep the spin centred because your free leg may be pulling your weight in that direction.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Do you mean you are trying a back sit spin? If you are doing a regular forward sit spin then you should be spinning on your inside edge, granted the edge should be a tight one rather than drawing big circles on the ice which can happen if you collapse into the ankle too much
    Really? I had no idea! When my coach kept saying I'm going too much on my inside edge, I assumed that meant I should be on an outside, so I keep trying to force an outside edge. That's gonna really help me. Thanks! Any idea how to work on the collapsing into the ankle problem, or what that actually means? So am I bending my ankle too much? or am I not over my blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Here is a video of someone who angles their leg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNky2XvVblM&noredirect=1

But it isn't the typical bent free leg that create a hole between the legs (which I what I thought of when the OP described bent knee). That is very common among beginners, and generally considered to be a mistake (at least with the judges I've talked to) in the position. It just requires practice and strength to keep that knee straight and the legs together.
    That's exactly what it is! It's like you guys are watching me Sorry, I used the wrong words. I can't get my legs to close/touch and I'm trying to get rid of this gap, but I keep falling out of the spin when I try to bring my free leg in and straighten it.

If the OP is an adult skater, I will say this can be a very difficult element for many skaters, and for some it takes years.
    NOOOOOOOO!!!! I am an adult skater. Oh well, at least it's good to know that it's not some sort of a mental block. I kept thinking there's one thing I'm not doing that will help get this spin working, but if it's a right of passage, I can tough it out. That will help me feel less frustrated

(I worked on mine steadily for 3-4 years before it was even acceptable. One thing that helped was to change from a wind up entrance to a 3 turn entrance- I was able to get more speed in the entrance and more momentum going into the position.
    I've actually never tried it from a 3-turn entrance. I'll give it a shot on my next practice.

Jealous!

Also to point 1, if you are falling it might mean your hips aren't level.
    Huh!!! Great point, So I should be lifting the hip on my free leg side eh? I'll give it a try (just simulating this at home now makes it seam like I'd be in a better position) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Mr. FAN, maybe if you tried that leg position, you would have an easier time keeping the edge - if you are spinning with the leg straight out in front of you, it's probably harder to keep the spin centred because your free leg may be pulling your weight in that direction.
    Yes, I'd be really happy if I can close the gap between my legs and have a bit of a bend in my free leg. I'll focus on that and try to steady out my edge, and hopefully on day I can also straighten the leg fully I've got all the time in the world to eventually conquer that spin

Thanks everyone!

vCash
    MR-Fan - when my ankle collapses inwards too much, it's usually when I try to get lower, and it's because instead of getting further down over the skating leg my body seems to drop towards the right of the spinning leg which makes the bigger circle. I need to focus on staying more straight up on the blade when this happens, and part of it is helped by bending the free knee to ankle the free foot across the spinning foot - the weight of the skate crossing over helps me get more sqaure and upright on the spinning foot.

Reading that back I'm not sure it makes sense so if you want further clarifications just ask!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Ugh... Those damn sit spins...

I don't understand why they're taking me forever to learn. I work on them weekly, but it seems to me that they're not improving, and I think my coach is gonna give up on me learning this move any time now

1 day I'll get it. one day
    Scootie's videos might help you.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...annonball-Spin

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Reading that back I'm not sure it makes sense so if you want further clarifications just ask!
    Makes complete sense to me! Thanks for articulating the general reason behind the inward collapse! I'll focus on staying on top of the free foot

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Thanks! If one day I can get a similar cannonball spin...

vCash
    I would like to know who still does a classic straight-backed straight extended leg sitspin in a full sit position with the free leg completely parallel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    I would like to know who still does a classic straight-backed straight extended leg sitspin in a full sit position with the free leg completely parallel.
    That is how I used to do mine! oh, those were the days.

Now I find myself a lot more hunched over (or maybe there is just more of me at the front now...) with a slightly bent leg. I can hold a very low position for about 1-2 revs, but if i wan't to maintain an actual spin, I barely make the required position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    I would like to know who ever did! Honestly I went back to 6.0 days and tried to remember skaters to link to, I thought of Tara and Todd Eldredge (maybe it's a richard callaghan thing?) but the rest I looked up would likely struggle to get the sitspin called under IJS as they all looked pretty high. Judging by IJS standards i'd say a majority of the elite skaters had bad sit positions.

vCash
    Well, I used to do them that way, before I was off the ice for 17 years. Sit spin was my best thing, and super close to the ice. I did wall sitting exercises every day back then, with my back flat against the wall.