Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    can anyone take a screen shot of them? the vids are not available on phones (( wanna see the costumes ((

vCash
    I say this with respect, but couldn't it be that maybe you guys are very nervous and are therefore projecting a bit? Of course they're both nervous, who wouldn't be? Everyone gets nervous. But you're making it seem as if they can barely stand on their feet. I honestly don't know how they feel and can only hope that they skate two lovely programs and take the gold home. That's all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    can anyone take a screen shot of them? the vids are not available on phones (( wanna see the costumes ((
    I took some but don't know how to post them here...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy123 View Post
    I took some but don't know how to post them here...
    Me neither

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post

here is the link: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_w...=w1021-h561-no
    The picture quality is horrible, but you can see the new costumes (or some of it).
    I also had to wait until I got home to see the videos of practice, so I know how you must be waiting to see it. This pic doesn't help much, but I hope you can get an idea of how the new costumes look.

vCash
    Hey guys! I'm at SCI ()and I didn't find them nervous at all! (I only saw the fd practice though). They seemed really sure of themselves despite the bobble on the twizzle and not completing the choreo lift the first time! A few sweet moments I saw were T&S doing their synchro breathing hug and at one point the male german ice dancer was chatting/laughing with them at took Tessa's hand as they skated! I think they'll be fine, it's you guys that seem nervous! Positive vibes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Thank you ceg15! I hope you are enjoying the event thus far! LOVE the increased power of the last section. Wow.

And happy belated birthday Emdee. What a great way to celebrate

Also, welcome back Jess!
    Thanks so much!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    Hey guys! I'm at SCI ()and I didn't find them nervous at all! (I only saw the fd practice though). They seemed really sure of themselves despite the bobble on the twizzle and not completing the choreo lift the first time! A few sweet moments I saw were T&S doing their synchro breathing hug and at one point the male german ice dancer was chatting/laughing with them at took Tessa's hand as they skated! I think they'll be fine, it's you guys that seem nervous! Positive vibes!!
    Thank you for the report! Have fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    Yes positive vibes
    And Shayii we will do the prayer circle in feb!

vCash
    Lol ok sounds good to me. I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves. And golightly you're probably right, it's just me.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    I am! I can't believe the names of some of the teams! Anyways how many points did you get last time? I did terrible (maybe cause I picked Anna and Luca)
    I'm hoping for a Canadian podium sweep for dance and pairs but that's not going to happen
    2407! (Rank 119, I think) I picked Dai over Machida out of loyalty. Lol This time I'm taking Hanyu over Patrick! For dance I have VM, WP, and HD (it was hard to choose between them and PI as I love them both and think they'll do equally well!) What about you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post

Is the FD practice on another site because I keep getting an error message in YT.
    www.ustream.tv/recorded/40137067
    They're at about 54 min I think (or was it 45, lol).

vCash
    I think she would look great in champagne/ silver or maybe even purple with a black overlay - this dress though its too much black.
    Champagne would be nice, but I think they are going for contrasting costumes and colors for SD and FD as they always (or almost always) do, so, if Tessa is wearing a light pastel color for the FD, a light and soft color for SD won't do. Purple with black overlay is an interesting idea, although I can't imagine right now exactly how it would look. But Maia Shibutani is wearing purple (or what I call purple) for the SD, and Meryl has worn purple in the past for several times. I can't decide if it's a problem or not.

And I can't decide whether I like the black dress either - first I must see it in better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I think they choose this color because Scott is an fire, emotions, passion of this team, and Tessa - beauty, femininity.
    And i think we will see two new outfits this season. In Finland it was spring, now summer, so - autumn and winter.
    It's an interesting and beautiful explanation, pani, both the first part and the second, even if we won't really see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    The FD costumes do remind me of G&G, but whether that was intentional or not, it is something new for VM, and are a good step away from the Mahler costumes, which had worried me. I like that she wore her hair down, too.
    Yes, that worried me too, and the new costumes definitely give a different feel to the FD. I also agree about Tessa's hair - I have long since wished to see her in a competition program with her hair down once again. Only I am not quite sure about the material of Tessa's dress - it doesn't look completely smooth at places to me. Probably it just looked that way in the not so good quality video?

Other than that, I can't help but be a little worried about the mistakes that they made in practice. It seems like it shouldn't be happening to them. Teams of lower level make fewer mistakes (of the really noticeable kind) in practice than Tessa and Scott, so it could be nerves. Of course, it's not like other teams have nothing to be nervous about. For instance, Weaver and Poje must know that they will be compared to teams like Cappellini/Lanotte, Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev and their respective performances during the GPs. But still it feels like Tessa and Scott have more pressure on them than anyone else. How I wish that they could just forget about that for a moment, and go out there on ice and skate with complete confidence and freedom. I always hope that they will come out strong and confident and give such performances that judges will have no choice but to mark them so high that there is no question about who is the leader. But it becomes harder and harder to keep believing when things happen and happen. I am still hoping, though. Too much worrying will help no one.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 10-25-2013 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    2407! (Rank 119, I think) I picked Dai over Machida out of loyalty. Lol This time I'm taking Hanyu over Patrick! For dance I have VM, WP, and HD (it was hard to choose between them and PI as I love them both and think they'll do equally well!) What about you?
    This was my first time trying fantasy skating so I only got like 1896 points lol.

vCash
    This was my first time trying fantasy skating so I only got like 1896 points lol.
    Me too! I'm just guessing based on summer comp scores and countries haha I don't know how other people are playing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    But for me its always funny, how Galit could judge other skaters, when i remember how she skated And she is a coach and have so many teams now. Yes, not at this competition, but Gorshkov work with her.
    I was thinking the same thing paniMaybe she knows the rules really well on paper, but executing them herself is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    I say this with respect, but couldn't it be that maybe you guys are very nervous and are therefore projecting a bit? Of course they're both nervous, who wouldn't be? Everyone gets nervous. But you're making it seem as if they can barely stand on their feet. I honestly don't know how they feel and can only hope that they skate two lovely programs and take the gold home. That's all.
    ^This. My goodness all the doom and gloom. It's a practice, that's why they have them, to practice, get the bugs out. Plenty of skaters have bad practices and bad warm ups and then a great skate and vice versa. To me it's like an preseason hockey game, who cares until it counts. Let's wait and see and stay positive. I like the programs better already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lety View Post
    here is the link: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_w...=w1021-h561-no
    The picture quality is horrible, but you can see the new costumes (or some of it).
    I also had to wait until I got home to see the videos of practice, so I know how you must be waiting to see it. This pic doesn't help much, but I hope you can get an idea of how the new costumes look.
    yay, gracias Lety! they look wonderful.

vCash
    pani, I love your posts i adore Seasons too, but i'm not as poetic as you are!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Watch Tessa turn on one foot and stay on that same foot while transferring weight from one side to the other, changing from an inside to outside edge to an inside edge again. Watch her free leg as well. This particular transition employs sinuous movement and then a sharp movement on the beat that is accompanied by a strong shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicV...outu.be&t=126s

Look at the shaping of the body here. Tessa orients her body backward, arching her back and releasing the neck while skating backward on one foot. Scott is simultaneously gliding on one foot, on an outside edge and then turns around her. Also watch the play of tension here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicV...outu.be&t=146s

And here we see Tessa drop her centre of gravity, working from an upright position and moving through a split through Scott’s legs as he moves into an Ina Bauer. I want to point out that this kind of movement impedes their ability to carry momentum forward in the skating that follows, and the body positions impede their ability to move across the ice in these moves, yet they manage to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicV...outu.be&t=155s

And here they again drop their centres of gravity, using low positions and moving force outward by kicking their right feet to the right before moving forward on a curve on one edge. Simultaneously, they are rotating their upper torsos, making it more difficult to balance. They then arrest the movement again throwing some weight outward, then bring it back in and shift their weight again. I especially like when Tessa moves onto a left back inside edge and brings the free foot forward. And shortly after we have a move where Scott drops into a plié while Tessa rides on a right forward inside edge and twists her torso and kicks her left leg over her right to land on her left foot and travel backward. Also, in the section preceding the diagonal step sequence, they are working in the middle of the ice, changing direction and directing their momentum side to side or up and down—in other words, in ways that impede their ability to gain forward momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicV...outu.be&t=281s

And I love this transitional movement in the diagonal step sequence, right after the choctaw, when Tessa kicks behind her, directing her momentum backward and quickly bringing it right back in order to complete the subsequent steps. Again, this transition makes it more difficult to keep balanced over the blades in the step sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicV...outu.be&t=307s

All these moves are about creating dynamic shapes, playing with tension and levels, and they manage to maintain blade movement as they do them. The constant and quick transfers of weight make it a lot harder to stay balanced over the blades so that they can build and maintain speed as well as complete their elements. Very, very difficult.
    Thank you once again, Bournekraatzfan. Now I certainly understand the difficulty in 'Carmen' better, although I can't say that I didn't understand the difficulty of some of those movements before at all.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    Thanks for your fabulous post, BKF!

Your last paragraph sums up why incorporating during modern movement made that program so very hard--it made it harder to stay balanced over the blades. It's the combination of the the principals of fall/release, lowered center of gravity, and torso-derived movement in combination with blade work while moving down the ice and executing skating choreography that made things so difficult. V/M's bodies were in constant flux because of that. That's incredibly hard to manage. If it's so easy, why aren't we seeing other teams trying it? Why didn't we see anyone attempt it before V/M?

I want to throw in another word on ice coverage. Ice coverage is something that can be hard to judge on video, especially shot-for-tv broadcast video where the camera is zoomed in on the skaters. You can get a better idea of it when you have video that was shot further out in the stands where you can see how the pattern each team makes over the ice and their utilization of the ice surface (or, in other words, their ice coverage). These speak for themselves, from the 2012 GPF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1M_3TzHrdo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNFYNiHTH8.
    Thank you too, aka_gerbil. I never said that 'Carmen' was easy, though. I don't like how people are ascribing things that I haven't said to me. As for the ice coverage, I never said anything negative about Tessa and Scott's general ice coverage in their 'Carmen' FD either, I was speaking only about the particular movements which were used to illustrate the difficulty before. But you are right, I can see the ice coverage during those moves better in this video - it's not very huge, but is definitely bigger than it seemed on other videos.

vCash
    Now, sorry to everyone for bringing this up again, but I feel that I must answer to some (or more than just some) people here. I couldn't do that before Skate Canada practices started.

Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    Actually I kind of think Laura has a point and I think some people here are being uncommonly rude. And failing to be objective and really try to see what she is trying to say. I agree that she made have made some errors in her POV of difficulty of Carmen for example but her assertions that there is some exaggerating going on is quite entirely true to be honest. I am a V and M uber. But sometimes I get the feeling I am not allowed to look at them with a critical eye here. I think Carmen should have beat D and W last year. And I think they are by far superior in every way to D and W. But i feel I won't be believed if I can see that some of the bashing and the exaggeration over criticizing D and W has got out of hand.

I have found this thread quite unpleasant to visit in the last few days to be honest. And insinuating someone "just wants attention" or is " posting in the wrong place' when they are trying to be open and make a point is exactly what D and W fans are talking about. It is childish , unnecessary and IMO completely incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    i know i promised just to lurk, but BKfan's way of replying to POVs and criticisms is how we should all address each other, and not just hurl accusations of:
    "are you related to this poster" or
    "are you masquerading as this poster" or
    posting in the wrong thread or
    your post is giving me a headache or
    you're being passive-aggressive and such.

that's not how mature individuals should hold debates/discussions. mature individuals should discuss things point by point, and not just dismiss people who offered constructive criticism/different POV as less of a fan or an uber of another team. that's how i felt before when i brought forward my criticisms, as if i'm less valid of a fan if i don't have positive views. let's all respect each other's POV and be more mature with handling discussions, shall we?
    Thank you, chantilly and zilam. I agree with both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    What? I don't get that impression at all. I think Laura is finding it hard to be a fan of both V/M and D/W right now, which is understandable. I disagree with much of what she said, but she has every right to say it and it doesn't make her any less of a fan.
    Thank you too, Zazy. I am not fan of both Tessa/Scott and Meryl/Charlie, though. I merely like Meryl and Charlie - I think that's not one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloquy View Post
    I think "uber" should be a pejorative, because in my experience it describes a person who is so hopelessly obsessed with a skater their critical thinking faculties have shut down. V/M are amazing, but no one should get attacked for criticizing them or preferring D/W for whatever reason. A lot of it comes down to personal taste and extreme fans of both teams would do well to realize that. Feeling like you have to choose sides makes this place very unfriendly.
    Thank you as well, Antiloquy. I agree with most of what you said, except about it coming down to personal taste. It's only partially right, because, as others have said, there are real and objective things which make Tessa and Scott a superior team. Also, personal taste doesn't always make people choose only one skater/team and automatically dislike their rivals who have a very different style.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast