Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm sick of this obsession with speed (not saying with you guys, just generally). V/M have never been a slow team. There is a big difference between being slow because you lack skating skill or power, and dancing slower because that is what is dictated by the music.

First, Carmen was not slow. Second, and perhaps most importantly, Carmen had no superfluous movement. Every stroke was both a way to move across the ice and an interpretation of the music at that very instant. There was no "extra stroking" to build up speed to get into an element, no "empty strokes" to get you out of an element "and back into" the program, and no strokes that get you across the ice fast but have little relation to the music. If people want to see fast skating in between trick elements, there's an entire discipline for that -- it's called pairs.

Sorry, vent over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I'm sick of this obsession with speed (not saying with you guys, just generally). V/M have never been a slow team. There is a big difference between being slow because you lack skating skill or power, and dancing slower because that is what is dictated by the music.

First, Carmen was not slow. Second, and perhaps most importantly, Carmen had no superfluous movement. Every stroke was both a way to move across the ice and an interpretation of the music at that very instant. There was no "extra stroking" to build up speed to get into an element, no "empty strokes" to get you out of an element "and back into" the program, and no strokes that get you across the ice fast but have little relation to the music. If people want to see fast skating in between trick elements, there's an entire discipline for that -- it's called pairs.

Sorry, vent over.
    Thank you.

And I think that is true to V-M as a team. They don't do much basic stroking and this is never stressed enough, I wonder why.

Usually, ladies particularly, need extra strokes to compensate and match their partner's speed, in other words, play catch up. You don't ever see Tessa compensate or Scott yank her about to assist her movements? I feel this is never talked about. Ever. And it is something that we must not take for granted, because the norm in ice dance these days is compensation, either by the lady or by the man, assisting his partner in routine movements and sequences because she cannot get in position by herself. The short dance is a clear example of this (because of the pattern, of course). Yet, V-M, being the one exception, are never given credit for this. I don't get it.

vCash
    If people want to see fast skating in between trick elements, there's an entire discipline for that -- it's called pairs.
    That's pretty much what ice dance has become, sadly. It gets more pair-like with every season.

YEAH!
    vCash

Sorry, vent over.
    So true. If you look at their compulsory steps, they have some of the biggest patterns, which equals the best speed and power. There is no better indicator than comparing the segment where everyone does the same steps. The Waltz Goes On was an amazing example of flow, as are this year's programs.

vCash
    I agree with the above comments, I resent the rhetoric that states that "other" teams are "fast-er". The perception of speed via a busy program and choppy skating with extra steps to catch up is only that: a perception. I don't view VM as slower skaters, what they do is appropriately adapt their skating to the music and to the theme. While I don't think the comment about Carmen was directed to me, what I was trying to say is that that program is inherently less flow-y than this year's FD, not that it was inappropriately skated slower.
    Gosh, I wish I had the gift of description and terminology that others in this thread can describe so fluently!

vCash
    Tessa and Scott SportsNet Radio interview: here there is the audio, TS to minute 46..
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/brady-and-walker/

Please, someone can make a summary for me of the interview?
    Thousand thanks

vCash
    Carmen was directed to me, what I was trying to say is that that program is inherently less flow-y than this year's FD, not that it was inappropriately skated slower.
    This. Thats what i want to say too. I saw Carmen twotimes "live" last season and it dint have sch flow like this FD in forst outing.
    Of cause Carmen had very difficult transitions, but how this helped to VM?
    And for now i wish talk only about future- so about new programs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ice Princess* View Post
    Tessa and Scott SportsNet Radio interview: here there is the audio, TS to minute 46..
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/brady-and-walker/

Please, someone can make a summary for me of the interview?
    Thousand thanks
    Thanks! What did they say? Something new?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Thanks! What did they say? Something new?
    I don't know.. I not understand everything.. apparently seems nothing new..

vCash
    - RBC event for Sochi
    - they are the veteran athletes
    - Olympics earlier than Worlds, so must peak in Feb
    - Scott says they must stay very organized this year
    - silver last year a bit disappointing but sets them up well for Olympics
    - great to be in London last year
    - healthier now than they were heading into Vancouver
    - can now train 100%
    - on Vancouver: Tessa had lots of doubt/stress, wondered if they could make the next Olys
    - been to Sochi last year, but not going to be the same because of Olys
    - won't be the same, but they have lots of Russian fans
    - knowledgable skating fans in Russia; Russian coaches
    - inspire other people to not just skate but to do other things too, e.g. hit the gym
    - Scott: "we're PUMPED"

vCash
    Thank you so much Happy123!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ice Princess* View Post
    Thank you so much Happy123!!
    You're welcome!

They also talked about how V/M along with Patrick Chan are the face of figure skating in Canada etc.

vCash
    *faces

vCash
    Thank you!
    Yes, guys, you have fans in Russia. Great now you know about this

vCash
    Nothing new. Questions about Tessa's health - She say's she's 100%. the interviewer compares that to Vancouver- which she says was very stressful - with physio 7 hours a day. Questions about their familiarity with Russia... he says if having skated in Moscow helps. Scot says they skated in Oly venue last year but the O's are always different. A lot of chat about the Worlds in London and what the venue there means to the city.. (the interviewer is from London as well). I didn't get the impression that he knew much about figure skating. And some chat about how they have inspired young skaters and how rewarding that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    I didn't get the impression that he knew much about figure skating. And some chat about how they have inspired young skaters and how rewarding that is.
    True, especially the transition into the talk about missing flights!

YEAH!
    vCash
    What is the RBC event?

vCash
    It should be RBC Olympians:

http://www.rbc.com/community-sustain...olympians.html

It's not an event. You can read about it at the link above.

vCash
    Basically it's RBC sponsorship. There has just been a major RBC media day for all the athletes in Toronto.

vCash
    Thank you Happy123 for the translation. You make me happy.
    I trust V&M in their preparation. They are veteran athletes - they know what they are doing. Can't wait to see their programs again. It can only get better.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast