Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caroline Zhang

vCash

Caroline Zhang

After today's debacle at SA should Caroline Zhang continue to skate after Sochi? I don't see how she can get back to being a top contender even in the US let alone internationally. She simply has to many weaknesses.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I love Caroline, but the bigger question is whether she should continue to skate after today. She has to do Sectionals, right? Her scores at Skate America would not have gotten her through many Regionals. I'm not sure she has enough time to get in fighting shape by Sectionals. She might even finish last with performances like she had at Skate America.

vCash
    I didn't see her skate today i just heard about it. How bad was it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I didn't see her skate today i just heard about it. How bad was it?
    Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

She scored lower than many short programs.

vCash
    She should just listen to her heart and skate if she enjoys it. Not everyone is trying to contend on the world scene.

-wishing for every skater to just do what they love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Not everyone is trying to contend on the world scene.
    Well, those who are not generally don't skate in international competitions.

If she still enjoys skating though, I hope she still skates regardless of scores.

vCash
    In her SA FS, Caroline landed two 2as and fell on an attempted 3lo. All the other jumps were singles.

vCash
    Is skating pairs an option for her? She appears tiny enough. If the technical jumps are a struggle for her, she wouldn't need as many as a pair skater. She might want to consider it.

vCash
    IMO, she should thoroughly examined by a qualified physician to make sure that today's melt down isn't due to some physical problem before she makes any further decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IMO, she should thoroughly examined by a qualified physician to make sure that today's melt down isn't due to some physical problem before she makes any further decisions.
    Honestly, seeing as how this was even worse than Alissa's world meltdown, where she supposedly had no idea she was injured, this is probably pretty solid advice.

vCash
    Well clearly there's something wrong. Either it's a training issue, a mental/confidence issue, a physical issue or some combination. I'm sure their team will draw a conclusion shortly and make some decisions.

To me, regardless of which of the above is at play she doesn't look well trained or in competitive shape.
    I think she'll be hard pressed to see another international assignment and so for now I hope she finds some joy in skating regardless of the results. I can't think we'll see her around too much longer.

vCash
    I think considering she didn't even come close to trying her Pearl spin or any sort of Biellman or catch-foot, I'm guessing her chronic back injury issues are back. I suspect an injury withdrawal coming soon

vCash
    I went to SA, and her skate was absolutely heartbreaking. She was very very slow, and the only high point was her spiral. You could tell that she was absolutely disappointed and crushed, and the crowd was clapping like crazy for her whenever she did something right. I was so sad for her, and I hope that she can figure out what's going on.

vCash
    Now that we've established that USFS has indeed spread the wealth and sending Rachael Flatt to Coupe de Nice was justified, given her injury setbacks and a need to earn the minimum Olympic scores, it is time to oil those pitchforks again.

Can somebody please explain to me the reasoning behind selecting Caroline Zhang as a host pick for Skate America?

1) She is clearly out of shape. Both of her performances at SA were sluggish, she didn't land a single clean triple jump and in the FS she has given up right from the start.
    2) She hasn't had any good results last season. 11th at US Nationals, 12th at Nebelhorn Trophy, 9/10 and 10/10 at her Grand Prix events.
    3) Sylvia's scoretracker doesn't show any summer competition results for Zhang.
    4) She seems to have put on even more weight when that was already an issue last season.

Courtney Hicks was 4th at 2013 US Nationals to Zhang's 11th and she has scored 185.86 at a summer comp.

The mind just boggles.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think the reason for sending Zhang was discussed in the SA ladies lp thread. Anyway, I guess I shouldnt expect smart rational decisions all the time from USFS

vCash
    I remembered that someone had posted hearsay information about how well Caroline Zhang was skating early in the summer (before the initial GP selections were published by the ISU) and searched for/found this post (dated June 6) in the Grand Prix Assignments thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    The buzz here in California is that Caroline has improved, working like a dog and developed a humble acceptance to critics' assessments. No one here was surprised that she got SA but it was a surprise that she was announced so early. <part about her promotion to the Team C funding envelope snipped>
    For whatever reason, she apparently did not sustain the momentum from this initial auspicious start to her training.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    ... it is time to oil those pitchforks again.
    I personally hope that the pitchforks stay in the barn.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-21-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Her LP was hard to watch. Maybe she is a case of too much too young, or maybe that is the only time that she would have had success.. either way, she didn't seem ready to compete this weekend.

vCash
    If there was an injury, I hope she takes the time to recover fully. Best of luck, Caroline!!! Believe in yourself!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyskater View Post
    Is skating pairs an option for her? She appears tiny enough. If the technical jumps are a struggle for her, she wouldn't need as many as a pair skater. She might want to consider it.
    PLEASE tell me this comment is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I personally hope that the pitchforks stay in the barn.
    Caroline Zhang might be going through a difficult time, at the moment. Things can happen in life and all skaters will have highs and lows.

My anger is directed at USFS alone. It is their responsibility to monitor their athletes. It's not fair to Hicks, who deserved the SA spot with her past results and this kind of performance and result is only going to knock Zhang's confidence even more. Everybody loses.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast