Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Peace: The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, which is a group charged with enforcing the Chemical Weapons Convention. They have been involved in investigating the situation in Syria, amongst other things.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Great choice. They do good work.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    A part of me was rooting for Malala Yousafzai, but think this was the right choice. It's good to see recognition for an organization that didn't previously have much of a public profile -- this will do wonders to let people know about the work they do.

INTJ
    vCash
    If you missed it here's Malala on The Daily Show. She's such an inspiration.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Her interview on the Daily Show was good, but although Jon treated her and her work with respect it was still a comedy show and he had to get in the requisite number of laughs. (It was fun to see her laugh, though.)

For a much better interview, I suggest the one she did with Anna Maria Tremonti on The National the other night.

vCash
    Great choice, Alice Munro really is a master of the short story.

I feel very conflicted about Malala Yousafzai and I am glad that she didn't get it.

Nigerian student uses magnets to prove homosexuality is unnatural - How did this not deserve the Ig Nobel prize? Come on!!!
    Last edited by Ziggy; 10-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    If you missed it here's Malala on The Daily Show. She's such an inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing the video. Malala is a truly remarkable young lady.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post

PEACE PRIZE: Alexander Lukashenko, president of Belarus, for making it illegal to applaud in public, AND to the Belarus State Police, for arresting a one-armed man for applauding. (I imagine Mr. Lukashenko did not actually show up to receive this prize. A pity.)
    I would be interested to see how this poor person with one arm clapped. Did he clap his hand against his thigh?
    Peace: The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, which is a group charged with enforcing the Chemical Weapons Convention. They have been involved in investigating the situation in Syria, amongst other things.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Good choices both in peace and literary. It is great that short stories get recognition they don´t often have. I know Munro´s translator in Finnish, she does great work, and her Finnish publishing house was thrilled.

When I am back home from this trip, I reread her short stories. We have several volumes in our library. Congratulations to Canadian literature, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    As far as the Israeli media is concerned, both Warshel and Levitt are Israeli and the rest is secondary

FWIW, Warshel is Israeli born and raised and completed his PhD here, and Levitt got his PhD here and has lived in Israel on and off ever since.
    The third winner, Australian-American Professor Martin Karplus, has also connections to Israel. Most of his family members made an Aliyah (immigration) to Israel.
    BTW, since 2001, 6 Israelis were among Chemistry Nobel winners:
    Avram Hershko & Aaron Ciechanover in 2001;
    Ada Yonath in 2009;
    Dan Shechtman in 2011;
    Arieh Warshel & Michael Levitt 2013.

vCash
    You don't have to. The study confirmed that people who *think* they are drunk also think they are attractive. So all you need to do is think you are drunk, et voila!
    That's great. I don't have to spend $$$ on alcohol to get drunk then.

Quote Originally Posted by Corianna
    Alice Munro is very private, and does only what she can't avoid in regard to publicity,(publishing contract obligations) though she loves reading from her work in quiet venues. She has always preferred to keep her celebrity separate from her "real" life, and goes to great length to protect it. I was her neighbour and friend for many years and only occasionally did she wish to talk about her career or success. Even though she has become quite well off from her writing, she lived very simply. H
    I once asked her how she coped with the pressure of being not just the greatest short story writer in Canada but one of the greatest of all time anywhere, and she shrugged... "Oh, you know, you just get on with the work"
    Congrats to my Canadian friends/FSU posters on Munro's win. Hmmm... I think I will like her as a person - sounds very down to earth. I love short stories due to my limited attention span.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I feel very conflicted about Malala Yousafzai and I am glad that she didn't get it.
    I also did not want to see her receive the Nobel Prize at the age of 16, but can you explain what your first comment about her means?
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video. Malala is a truly remarkable young lady.
    She truly is

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I also did not want to see her receive the Nobel Prize at the age of 16, but can you explain what your first comment about her means?
    Yes, please do explain...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Copied and pasted from Wiki because of laziness.

Dawn columnist Huma Yusuf summarized three main complaints of Yousafzai's critics: "Her fame highlights Pakistan’s most negative aspect (rampant militancy); her education campaign echoes Western agendas; and the West's admiration of her is hypocritical because it overlooks the plight of other innocent victims, like the casualties of U.S. drone strikes." Journalist Assed Baig described her as being used to justify Western imperialism as "the perfect candidate for the white man to relieve his burden and save the native".
    More importantly, she donated her own copy of "The Alchemist" when opening The Library of Birmingham. I thought she was supposed to be campaigning for education.

vCash
    None of those reasons should lessen the value of what she did/does though...

vCash
    Copied and pasted from Wiki because of laziness.

Dawn columnist Huma Yusuf summarized three main complaints of Yousafzai's critics: "Her fame highlights Pakistan’s most negative aspect (rampant militancy); her education campaign echoes Western agendas; and the West's admiration of her is hypocritical because it overlooks the plight of other innocent victims, like the casualties of U.S. drone strikes." Journalist Assed Baig described her as being used to justify Western imperialism as "the perfect candidate for the white man to relieve his burden and save the native".
    More importantly, she donated her own copy of "The Alchemist" when opening The Library of Birmingham. I thought she was supposed to be campaigning for education.
    This is completely unpersuasive. If rampant militancy is a major negative issue, that only makes Yousafazi's actions more impressive. Education is not a western agenda - Islam has quite a heritage of education and scholarship, and education for women is not contradictory to Islam, either, so in that respect too her advocacy is also valuable. She is not looking for white saviors, she is looking for change from within. And Yousafazi can hardly be held accountable for the suffering of others brought upon by other countries, not to mention that Norway is not exactly an imperialistic power.

I do think that Yousafazi is more a symbol at this point and perhaps not accomplished enough to warrant such recognition, but then 1. she's only 16 and 2. the same could be said about many Nobel Peace Prize laureates.

Crappy taste in books isn't a reason to deny anyone a Nobel prize, of course

vCash
    The Nobel prize for economics goes to; Professors Eugene Fama of the University of Chicago, Lars Hansen of the University of Chicago and Robert Shiller of Yale for their work on asset pricing. Whatever that means.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nobel...#ixzz2hh5EvKon
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The Nobel prize for economics goes to; Professors Eugene Fama of the University of Chicago, Lars Hansen of the University of Chicago and Robert Shiller of Yale for their work on asset pricing. Whatever that means.
    They basically, more or less, developed math models and methods that allow the study of trends in things like stocks and housing pricing. To quote the AP, the Academy said:

While it's hard to predict whether stock or bond prices will go up or down in the short term, it's possible to foresee movements over periods of three years or longer... These findings, which might seem surprising and contradictory, were made and analyzed by this year's laureates.
    So they showed that the prices of assets such as stocks are unpredictable in the short term, but get more predictable as you forecast over years. The three men worked independently, and their work has had an influence on how investments are made. Their work has lead to things like the popularity of index funds (such as are in many 401Ks.)

Schiller is most famous for having developed the Case-Schiller index, which is pretty famous, relatively speaking. It helps measure US housing prices. But that wasn't what he was honored for. He was honored for working on predictability in stock markets over the long run. Fama's work showed how difficult it is to predict stock prices in the short term. And Hansen developed a statistical model that allows people to test different theories regarding pricing of assets such as stocks. The Academy said that these men's work:

...greatly improved our understanding of how financial markets work, when they seem to work well and when they seem to work otherwise.
    "Otherwise", indeed.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    None of those reasons should lessen the value of what she did/does though...
    It doesn't. But I do find it problematic. Nothing is ever black or white.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    She is not looking for white saviors, she is looking for change from within.
    Not any more. She lives in the UK now.

She now belongs to the western establishment and time will tell what effect it will have on her views and her work (but I can make a guess ).

More importantly, there are plenty of people out there who do valuable work. They just weren't lucky and media-friendly enough to be thrust into the spotlight in the same way.

And to give some more context to those copied quotes: There is no wonder there's rampant militancy in Pakistan given the amount of drone-strikes and other military operations conducted there by the US. Violence can only breed more violence. What happens to Malala brings more negative light to Pakistan - and white saviours come to the rescue - but this is a mess that the West is also responsible of in the first place.

Education is important yes - but stability, security and having enough food are needs which are more basic and more pressing and which are still not being fully satisfied there. Malala keeps talking about education but I've never heard her say anything about this wider social context. There's an incredible naivety to her single-issue message and it does sound like something that an outsider who doesn't understand the local situation would say. Black skin, white masks.

Can you really blame people who send children to work instead of sending them to school if they aren't able to subsist otherwise? An average white westerner would say 'what they are doing is morally wrong' but what other options do they have?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 10-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    Not any more. She lives in the UK now.
    Well, we all know why she had to relocate initially.

She's stated more than once that her intention is to return to Pakistan and do her work there. Whether she'll do it is another matter, but she's been quite clear that her goal is to effect change from within Pakistan.

And as I wrote earlier, the perception that education is somehow contrary to Islam is a serious problem. And also wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12