Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    beepbeep, sorry to hear about the lack of support for winter athletes in Brazil. It's frustuating indeed. It is quite common that with limited budget allocated to athletes, it is always the more popular sports which get the bigger cake leaving the athletes of less popular sports to foot their own training bills. I wish the government could consider allocating some kind of scholarship to athletes who have proven to be able to reach a high standard on their own so that the monies can go into supporting them to obtain better coaching and training facilities.

Unfortunately even athletes of the most popular sports in Brazil (except soccer) suffer from a lack of support. There are examples in all sports. This is not a problem of lack of money or resources to support the athletes , but these are problems that we are not able to explain because they are also a puzzle for us sometimes (as beepbeep said, we do not know where goes the money intended to support the athletes), and there is also a lack of interest in supporting the athletes.
    Once athletes have achieved their goals, after much effort, they remember that these athletes are representing Brazil, as is happening now: they are saying that Brazil will be represented for the first time in skating during the Olympics, as they had given the support they should. When the results of the efforts are coming, everyone wants to be close to appear.
    It is with great sadness that I say this, but it happens a lot with athletes from various sports, from swimming to gymnastics.

vCash
    Lena Halonen and assistant Eva Maria Jangbro interviewed Isadora Williams at Nebelhorn Trophy in September 2013: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...sadorawilliams
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Best of luck, Isadora!!!

vCash
    Great article, thanks for posting it, Sylvia.

And I ditto what lala said.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Stray thoughts:

-Isabella is the antidpodean answer to Kiira Korpi.

-Some creative choreographer ought to take her up as his/her muse, and create a samba-inspired program just for her.

-My shot in the dark with regard to Brazil fulfilling the eligibility requirements for ISU figure skating membership is that the mandate for a rink "of a size adequate to practice...the discipline" is sufficiently vague to jam Brazil through the square peg if the ISU so chooses (which they apparently do).

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Stray thoughts:

-Isabella is the antidpodean answer to Kiira Korpi .
    Stray thoughts:

- It's Isadora.

- Brazil isn't in Australia or New Zealand. Neither is the U.S.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Stray thoughts:

- It's Isadora.

- Brazil isn't in Australia or New Zealand. Neither is the U.S.
    -My mind went briefly astray; I have a cousin named Isabella, and I like both names.

-The primary definition of "antipodean" is: situated at opposite sides of the earth. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/antipodean

It has at times informally been taken to mean (an expropriation probably encouraged by members of the British Commonwealth ) Australia/New Zealand.

Given that a key point is that Isadora is skating for Brazil, I think you are quibbling in your reference to the US.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    -My shot in the dark with regard to Brazil fulfilling the eligibility requirements for ISU figure skating membership is that the mandate for a rink "of a size adequate to practice...the discipline" is sufficiently vague to jam Brazil through the square peg if the ISU so chooses (which they apparently do).
    I was given an answer to that question from the federation.
    They said that Brazil can be a part of the ISU even without an adequate rink, they just don't get to vote on the decisions of the ISU council.
    I'm still not sure whether to trust it...
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    I was given an answer to that question from the federation.
    They said that Brazil can be a part of the ISU even without an adequate rink, they just don't get to vote on the decisions of the ISU council.
    I'm still not sure whether to trust it...
    Interesting. I did not realize that one could be relegated to a less-than-full membership in this way. Pending the completion of requirements, I assume?

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Interesting. I did not realize that one could be relegated to a less-than-full membership in this way. Pending the completion of requirements, I assume?
    I have no idea. This came as a surprise to me too.
    I couldn't find anything in the rule book about it either.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12