vCash

Universal Sports Now on Verizon FiOS!

A few days ago I noticed Universal Sports HD in my channel line up. Even though it's part of my cable package tier, I still had to manually activate the channel (it said I would be charged $0.00).

I can't seem to find any articles about a new agreement between US and FiOS, but I can confirm that US is working and is now in full HD, though I'm not sure about standard definition being available.

I'm in the DC area and Universal Sports HD is on channel 596 in my line up. For those interested, there is also live coverage of gymnastics worlds for the next few days on the US channel. Hopefully skating gets similar treatment!
    Who is Conan O'Brien and why is she so sad?

vCash
    I just checked, it's on New Jersey Fios too but there is a charge for me, I don't have the sports package.

vCash
    I also saw a beginning rumor on the comcast board that something might finally be in the works there.

vCash
    There should be a free launch preview going on right now that started on 10/28?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I can go without US for skating now that IceNetwork has rights, but it *really* sucks for alpine skiing. Almost all the events are very early morning (especially first GS/slalom runs) due to European time zones, and this is the only source I know of that has on-demand video of full races. Eurosport streams can be found but you have to watch live. Sigh.

It shouldn't be so hard to watch a darn sport.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I can go without US for skating now that IceNetwork has rights, but it *really* sucks for alpine skiing. Almost all the events are very early morning (especially first GS/slalom runs) due to European time zones, and this is the only source I know of that has on-demand video of full races. Eurosport streams can be found but you have to watch live. Sigh.

It shouldn't be so hard to watch a darn sport.
    ITA, I was really getting into Alpine skiing up til this whole business, and haven't managed to watch *any* since the whole US change. It hasn't affected my skating watching at all.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Plus TV Teka was always an alternative for skating, but it's not as good an option for skiing where I really need the commentator to point out errors (unless they're extremely obvious).

ETA - I just did some searching and does this include figure skating on US too?!!
    https://skiracing.com/stories/new-on...lite-required/

vCash
    OK, what are we doing wrong, we just switched our tv to Verizon, and it is telling me that it is recording skating choices, but all of them have been blank...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    OK, what are we doing wrong, we just switched our tv to Verizon, and it is telling me that it is recording skating choices, but all of them have been blank...
    I'm assuming you are recording on a DVR provided through Verizon? If so, there is a problem with you DVR reception and/or recording. Check with Verizon. If your DVR is from another source, the connection between the DVR and the service may not be right. You could also check with the service that provides your DVR (tivo?).

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Channel 596 in the ultimate veriZon package in NYC has US. I specifically got verizon years ago bc of FS and US and then it disappeared and it came back now. I had to push a button to activate it, and then after 4 hours it was there at no additional cost. If you only have a basic plan you can get upgraded to the sports one for 9.95 a month.

It is also now in Verizon Philly area. Before it use to be 9.95 for some package, but I just tried this week at my parents to record GP and it worked and I can now watch US there too.

vCash
    It probably depends on who your cable provider is and I don't believe Verizon offers service where I live. Besides, I am not likely to change my cable provider just to watch FS. The problem with networks like Universal sports is that they are not 'Universal' and not available everywhere and to everyone.

Somewhat OT: While there is a need for networks like Uni.Sports, it is still essential that the mainstream media show FS, like they show golf, tennis, etc. for the masses to become familiar with this sport. Even if they don't show every program (and that could bore the nonfans to death and turn them away), the visibility on a regular basis is essential. Hardcore FS fans can go for Uni.sports and whoever else is covering FS.

For this season's GP series I have depended on the Russian site, and the transmission is poor. Then I watch the programs on NBC and they are so much better (in spite of the so so commentating)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I just checked, it's on New Jersey Fios too but there is a charge for me, I don't have the sports package.
    I am in NJ and get it on 596, and we dont have any sports package. Our package is called Extreme, I think. I thought we were getting it as a temporary promo, but a customer service guy at V. just told me it was permanent. He also insisted it was on 567. Will have to check that out....