36 48.65%
  • No

34 45.95%
  • Undecided

7 9.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    V/T's biggest competitors are four-time world champions who have continuously pushed the envelope both technically (throws at the end of the program, throw 3A, very original elements and transitions) and artistically, interpreting and performing to an incredible range of music and styles. I think it's unfortunate that V/T are squandering their talent on underwhelming programs, and it saddens me that this "get the points" approach and politikal support will almost certainly best S/S, one of the greatest and most creative pairs ever. People like to say that the IJS has affected pairs in the worst way, but that's not true when it comes to S/S, because they are not content to just get the points.

At least we will always have Pina. And I will continue to hope that S/S will somehow manage to win the OGM.

vCash
    Regardless of those views S&S have absolutely no case if they cant do clean programs and V&T are doing them and S&S havent been doing clean programs for awhile now. I agree that the judges would go with V&T anyway at this point but if both teams skate like they are now, nobody will be crying over the result either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Savchenko and Szolkowy should probably trend towards clean (i.e. no throw 3 axel) versus overly ambitious.
    In order to beat clean V/T, S/S have to tend towards clean AND overly ambitious, I'd say.

I have to say I still prefer the ambitious fighter type, who push their own limits, like Mao and S/S over the safe-but-always-clean type like Yu-na and V/T.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    V/T's biggest competitors are four-time world champions who have continuously pushed the envelope both technically (throws at the end of the program, throw 3A, very original elements and transitions) and artistically, interpreting and performing to an incredible range of music and styles. I think it's unfortunate that V/T are squandering their talent on underwhelming programs, and it saddens me that this "get the points" approach and politikal support will almost certainly best S/S, one of the greatest and most creative pairs ever. People like to say that the IJS has affected pairs in the worst way, but that's not true when it comes to S/S, because they are not content to just get the points.

At least we will always have Pina. And I will continue to hope that S/S will somehow manage to win the OGM.
    ITA. I love S&S. I always say that they are the best ice dancers among pairs. Their programs are always so full and artistically complete. Even if they lack the amazing chemistry V/T have, they are still capable of creating masterpieces. Pina was one, but my fav of them has to be their Out of Africa FP. Such a shame they practically never skated it cleanly.

vCash
    I really love V/T, I was so excited when they were paired together because she is unimaginably talented and it was clear she was never going to reach her potential with Stanislav Morozov, (despite the fact that I love him). In my mind I had V/T pegged as being similar in style to G&G, and skating beautiful, intricate, classical programs with amazing elements combined. But despite the fact that I love them, I've just been so disappointed in their programs; there's nothing I can think of which has blown me away or really left me with any emotional response other than; meh. They're gorgeous skaters and I'd still say they were my favourite pair, but at this point I think I'd rather that S/S won the Olympics. S/S are getting to the point that they can't continue - they have tried to push the envelope with their choreography and they have pushed forward technically as well, so I feel they'd deserve it. Also from a totally selfish point of view, perhaps losing to them would encourage V/T to stick around for another four years and try a bit harder with the choreography in the process!

vCash
    IMO it's too early to say if it's OGM material or not, if you try to evaluate their current performances. As the season progresses, skaters do make changes to their programs and the execution gets much better after the GP. I would not pass judgment on it, unless they did not have the technical difficulty required for an OGM. I believe they do have that. It's a matter of developing that program presentation wise, to where they are confident skating it in its improved form.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I don't think the material itself is going to matter that much in the head-to-head vs. Savchenko and Szolkowy.

It's probably going to come down to which team gets the higher Grades of Execution - Volosozhar/Trankov were +16 GOE in the Nebelhorn Long Program (+27% on base element score). Savchenko and Szolkowy should probably trend towards clean (i.e. no throw 3 axel) versus overly ambitious.
    But GOE can be political, no? All they have to do is lowball S&S with +1 and 2 for clean elements while giving V&T all +3 (which is no stretch, because they are great at a lot of elements), and ignore things like Tatiana's slight two foots. I can see why S&S are going for greater base value, because it's more difficult to manipulate (though not impossible, if it's a close call as to level or degree of underrotation).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I don't like JCS muzak. I wish V/T had used JCS for the short (if they must) and the masq. waltz for the LP. I too have been disappointed with their choices.

But even though S/S are innovative, I haven't liked some of their programs either. I loved Pina though. Nutcracker, meh.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    This depends on what OGM material means. If it means good enough to win the Olympics in Sochi, then yes, absolutely! In fact, had they skated to any music with no choreography and going end-to-end doing element after element clean on everything, I still doubt the judges will put them any lower than 1st no matter what any other team does.

Now, if OGM material means a high quality program that you are excited for and want to see win the Olympics and how it compares to past OGMs, then absolutely not, at least for me. The program is empty choreographically and transitions-wise, there are simple arm movements here and there but overall, lots of stroking in between the elements etc. But why change it when the judges are going to be gifting it with 9s and 9.5s on PCS anyways?

What saddens me is that this pair has the ability and skating skill to do so much more, yet this is the program they come up with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Yep.

I do still say that COP hurts pairs the most, though

vCash
    I don't think this program to JCS is that good. I prefer their skating, they are my favourite team right now, but this program is not what I was expecting from them. That being said, if they perform it cleanly then the strength of their elements will probably get them the gold. But, it's early and maybe it will grow on me as they get comfortable with it over the season. I would love for them to have their moment and show how good they are, but this free is a disapointment right now. I think they are capable of much more. It is too empty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    In the current field, yes of course. The only team that could conceivably put any type of program to come even close strictly on merit would be the Germans, and not even likely with how they have skated over the last year.
    Yeah. While it probably won't go down in history as the best OGM program ever, if they skate better than everyone else with it, they deserve to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    ITA. I love S&S. I always say that they are the best ice dancers among pairs. Their programs are always so full and artistically complete. Even if they lack the amazing chemistry V/T have, they are still capable of creating masterpieces. Pina was one, but my fav of them has to be their Out of Africa FP. Such a shame they practically never skated it cleanly.
    Out of Africa was gorgeous.

I don't see the amazing chemistry with V/T though. Technically, they are very strong, but their expression and interaction never seem to have that two-skate-as-one quality. IMO, of course. I guess these dull programs don't help.

vCash
    I think they are a great couple and I like them a little better than S/S, but that FS program is hideous. I really like to know the though process of making a decision on using that music and those cuts. They are probably Russia's best chance at winning a figure skating gold in Sochi and I'd expect their team to come up with something more... timeless?

vCash
    The elements are, surely. His pants are not.
    Like so many in this thread do say: they are great skaters, so it is understandable that people really want them to skate the greatest programs, too. I think JCS could be a very good program with more transitions and difficult steps etc. I hope that if they win the Olympic gold, they win it with a superb skate, not only elementwise, but also emotionwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12