View Poll Results: Is the FS Olympic Gold Medal material

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 48.65%
  • No

    34 45.95%
  • Undecided

    7 9.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    455
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Is Volosozhar & Trankov's new FS OGM material

    Yes they have nearly everything perfect technically, but is the program itself OGM material

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,260
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In the current field, yes of course. The only team that could conceivably put any type of program to come even close strictly on merit would be the Germans, and not even likely with how they have skated over the last year.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Technically, of course. Artistically? No, not for me. Their SP is good but this FP is really not doing them any favors. It won't matter though, because judging by the scores they received, not even S/S have the slightest chance to come close to them. I am just sad because V/T are excellent skaters and could do so much better than this

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reeling around the sun
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3215
    That is precisely what I was wondering while watching it. Technically it's obviously a yes, but apart from that, it seems completely flat to me. A feeling I've often had with this pair. They have incredible skills, yet their programmes seem to add up to less than the sum of their parts.

    I also thought I'd have expected that choice of LP music more from S/S than from V/T, and the Germans would certainly have made something more interesting out of it...
    Touching the void.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    I love the music from JCS so I have no problem with this FS. That they skate it so well is a bonus, I think for Olympics it will be great.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  6. #6
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,809
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    I mean honestly it's not that bad... I think it's a better vehicle than the other two programs that won OGM under CoP (T&M and S&Z). They're using the music well, skating with a lot of power, great commitment, bodyline, and control... it doesn't have the most interesting or abundant transitions in the world, but neither did those programs. It's not as good as classic 6.0 Olympic programs like those from B&S, K&D, or M&D. It's probably about the same level as G&G's Moonlight Sonata, which also wasn't very daring choreographically and was rather empty but worked because they had great basics and musicality.

    It's a shame, because V&T are such great skaters and have sparring partners in S&S, who have been able to capture some of that old time magic with very inventive choreography. I thought V&T could be the ones to bring back that old style Russian school of great artistry mixed with difficulty technical content, but they haven't quite gotten there. I don't think it's fair to say they are not OGM material, though.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I mean honestly it's not that bad... I think it's a better vehicle than the other two programs that won OGM under CoP (T&M and S&Z). They're using the music well, skating with a lot of power, great commitment, bodyline, and control... it doesn't have the most interesting or abundant transitions in the world, but neither did those programs. It's not as good as classic 6.0 Olympic programs like those from B&S, K&D, or M&D. It's probably about the same level as G&G's Moonlight Sonata, which also wasn't very daring choreographically and was rather empty but worked because they had great basics and musicality.

    It's a shame, because V&T are such great skaters and have sparring partners in S&S, who have been able to capture some of that old time magic with very inventive choreography. I thought V&T could be the ones to bring back that old style Russian school of great artistry mixed with difficulty technical content, but they haven't quite gotten there. I don't think it's fair to say they are not OGM material, though.
    I agree with all of this. Well said!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,974
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    It is not great and the music sucks , but the element delivery and their skating is lovely. Overall, it is not awful enough to be not a gold medal material; but they can do better

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They will probably win the OGM in pairs (and maybe another one in team) so that’s a give in but the program itself is pretty boring. It’s a rehash of the same free skates they have been doing the past three seasons. Same order, up to and including the break in the middle to give them time to rest up for the second half. The costumes are fine but honestly I have no idea what they should be wearing. The music is great but the cuts are bad and they don’t seem to be skating ‘to’ the music but ‘over’ it.

    They have failed at most every element at one time or another so to say they can’t fail at the Olympics and lose is ridiculous especially with that much pressure and its 100% on their shoulders. S/S know they could win or at the very least just end up with the bronze so they are under less pressure than V/T.

    D/R, P/T, B/L, K/S, MT/T could all have the skate of their lives and end up on the podium. All of them have had great skates the past few years. P/T are least likely on my list to medal only because he is put together with spit and fairy dust.

    V/T will only be remembered as a great pair as times goes on if they continue the next four years or win another gold in 2018. Otherwise the competition hasn't been hard enough for them. Their choreography just isn't good enough.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with everything said here. The skaters are OGM material for sure, their programs are not. They kind of failed the high expectations I had for them when I first found out they were pairing up. In fact, I think I liked them the most in their first competitive season together.

    Their chemistry is unbelievable and they could do so much better.

  11. #11
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,229
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    43380
    Except, Morozov's choreography wins. And wins big. It's designed to score points which is the goal. I don't expect them to change anything. I also don't expect them to keep skating another 4 years. That would only happen if they didn't win gold and even then, I don't think they will. Max has stated multiple times that he doesn't like competiting and wants to move on. Of course, people change their minds.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    That is precisely what I was wondering while watching it. Technically it's obviously a yes, but apart from that, it seems completely flat to me. A feeling I've often had with this pair. They have incredible skills, yet their programmes seem to add up to less than the sum of their parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I agree with everything said here. The skaters are OGM material for sure, their programs are not. They kind of failed the high expectations I had for them when I first found out they were pairing up. In fact, I think I liked them the most in their first competitive season together.
    Exactly - they have so much talent and potential, and I also had high hopes for them. But their taste in programs is just unfortunate and makes them accomplished yet completely forgettable. Not that it matters, because they have the elements and the politiks on their side.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,426
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think the material itself is going to matter that much in the head-to-head vs. Savchenko and Szolkowy.

    It's probably going to come down to which team gets the higher Grades of Execution - Volosozhar/Trankov were +16 GOE in the Nebelhorn Long Program (+27% on base element score). Savchenko and Szolkowy should probably trend towards clean (i.e. no throw 3 axel) versus overly ambitious.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,260
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    To those voting No, if theirs arent (even skated as cleanly and superbly as Nelberhorn) than who would be. It is laughable to even imagine anyone else right now doing something better. That includes Savchenko & Szolkowy who based on last season are probably already past their career peak and sliding downwards.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,432
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The program seems kind of empty and boring and I disagree that this pair is anywhere near as good as previous OGMs. They are technically skilled but deadly dull as music interpreters and performers. Still, saying the program isn't OGM-worthy and that this pair is not up to the standards of previous OGM pairs isn't the same as saying they won't win it. Whoever wins this year's pairs OGM will likely be the least compelling winner in my skating fandom (and that reaches back several decades).

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Except, Morozov's choreography wins. And wins big. It's designed to score points which is the goal. I don't expect them to change anything.
    Morozov’s choreography doesn’t win anything, he doesn’t have any. V/T’s elements win, plain and simple. Unless it’s Worlds 2012 and they really bomb then they end up in 8th after the short with 60.48 points. I doubt they will change anything either, they haven’t in 3 seasons, why start now. The judges have proven time and time again they are willing to overlook empty programs in lieu of great elements.

    I also don't expect them to keep skating another 4 years. That would only happen if they didn't win gold and even then, I don't think they will. Max has stated multiple times that he doesn't like competiting and wants to move on. Of course, people change their minds.
    I doubt they will either. I think they will ‘retire’ skate shows for a few seasons and make money. Then assess the skaters in the 2017-2018 group to see if it’s worth coming back for the Olympic again like S/Z did. If it’s worth defending their title and they are healthy they will. If they don’t feel they can win gold they won’t come back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    It's probably going to come down to which team gets the higher Grades of Execution - Volosozhar/Trankov were +16 GOE in the Nebelhorn Long Program (+27% on base element score). Savchenko and Szolkowy should probably trend towards clean (i.e. no throw 3 axel) versus overly ambitious.
    V/T are not going to be gifted the same scores that they were at Nebelhorn. It’s hard for judges to see skaters like the ones from Turkey and then see the World Champions and not get over zealous with their scores.

    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    To those voting No, if theirs arent (even skated as cleanly and superbly as Nelberhorn) than who would be. It is laughable to even imagine anyone else right now doing something better. That includes Savchenko & Szolkowy who based on last season are probably already past their career peak and sliding downwards.
    Based on last year, I haven’t seen S/S do worse, and they have better choreography with Steuer than V/T have with Morozov.

    They had no reason to come out swinging last year, they had nothing to prove, they had no reason not to stay on a plateau and peak this season when it counts.

    probably already past their career peak and sliding downwards.
    Weren't they the only team that landed the 3ATh in the competition at the END of the program? Didn't V/T have to take out the 3FTh because it was too hard on her hip? I don't think that says past their peak and sliding downwards to me.

  17. #17
    Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,662
    vCash
    565
    Rep Power
    9472
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    To those voting No, if theirs arent (even skated as cleanly and superbly as Nelberhorn) than who would be. It is laughable to even imagine anyone else right now doing something better. That includes Savchenko & Szolkowy who based on last season are probably already past their career peak and sliding downwards.
    I believe most would think V/T can't be touched technically in the quality of elements. Their technical ability isn't in question. It's the program they chose for the Olympics. JCS isn't what I expected from them and isn't what I would call an Olympic caliber program. I believe the music from JCS would suck as a program if any skater or team used it. I personally would have preferred the typical beautiful classical Russian program.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 10-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,277
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    It's not as bad as I thought it would be but it still doesn't really POP for me.

    Still, they are so lovely to watch IMO.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,305
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Of course it is. And it is gold medal material in every way. Technical elements and program elements. What else could there be? Throw 3A? Throw quad? Both of those have never been in a gold program.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    692
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They skate like this weekend and they fully deserve that OGM and it would be a travesty if the judges tried to keep them from it. They are probably the strongest technical merit pairs team in history already, and their artistry isnt great and below quite a few other greats in history, but none of the current pairs are great in that area and most are significantly worse (that Canadian team that won bronze at Worlds, the Chinese pairs, that Russian pair which were 2nd at the Grand Prix final, the U.S pairs, haha artistry, not).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •