View Poll Results: Who should be considered the favourite for the 2018 Olympic Ladies title?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ashley Wagner

3 2.94%
  • Kanako Murakami

0 0%
  • Gracie Gold

11 10.78%
  • Li Zijun

6 5.88%
  • Kaetlyn Osmond

6 5.88%
  • Adelina Sotnikova

4 3.92%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

1 0.98%
  • Julia Lipnitskaya

9 8.82%
  • Elena Radionova

26 25.49%
  • Courtney Hicks

1 0.98%
  • Somebody currently competing in the JGP (i.e. Edmunds, Medvedeva, Chen, Sakhanovich, etc)

17 16.67%
  • Other/Unknown/Somebody currently off the radar, etc

18 17.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I think it'll be Radionova, unless something happens with puberty between now and then, or she quits skating.

vCash
    Fumie Suguri.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Fumie Suguri.

vCash
    I wonder whether Radionova will make a history(the first 2-time lady JWC) this season.
    Last edited by t.mann; 10-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    Betting on these tiny Russian girls is foolish to say the least. Wasn't it just a slightly more then 2 years ago that everyone was hyping Adelina as the next Olympic champion? Now she may not even make the Russian team.

vCash
    Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds, Alexandra PROKLOVA. There is your 2018 Podium. Gold? Hmmm, I will say Karen Chen.
    Dogs know what to do with polls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Fumie Suguri.
    The special Olympics Gold (which she will become medically diagnosed to be eligible for if she is still trying to skate elite then).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Betting on these tiny Russian girls is foolish to say the least. Wasn't it just a slightly more then 2 years ago that everyone was hyping Adelina as the next Olympic champion? Now she may not even make the Russian team.
    Right.
    But I see from Radio a thing that I did not see from Sot, Tukt, Lip at their junior days. Specialness. (or phenom quality.)

vCash
    makes me think of who still will be around by then
    probably less than half from the polled

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Right.
    But I see from Radio a thing that I did not see from Sot, Tukt, Lip at their junior days. Specialness. (or phenom quality.)
    Maybe but all that could change when she grows 3-4 inches and suddenly she can't rotate as fast. That's why older Senior skaters have trouble doing 3-3's there bodies changed and they aren't 70 lbs anymore. So i just take all these tiny Russian phenoms with a grain of salt and see where they are in 2-3 years.

vCash
    Maybe but all that could change when she grows 3-4 inches and suddenly she can't rotate as fast. That's why older Senior skaters have trouble doing 3-3's there bodies changed and they aren't 70 lbs anymore. So i just take all these tiny Russian phenoms with a grain of salt and see where they are in 2-3 years.
    Indeed, before age rules, I think basic skating test have to be more drastic ! lol

vCash
    My favourites are Osmond and Radionova. But Radionova is still so young and small and the way her jumps are, we can't really tell whether puberty will make thems stronger and higher or it will cause her to lose them. Love her skating to pieces, but it's too early to tell.

vCash
    Surprising that Radionova is getting more votes than the group of pominent juniors. Her age, body size, and jump scale considered, I think she's one of the more vulnerable to puberty monster.

About Yuna Kim, it seems unlikely she will return for 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post

A top 10 finish in a debut Worlds was extremely creditable for Sot and Tuk, especially given the fact that both struggled with growth issues last season. Tara Lipinski finished 15th in her first world championships and then won it the following year. Both Sot and Tuk appear to have put their growth spurts etc behind them, and I expect them to perform considerably better this season. I think both have excellent chances of winning world and Olympic medals in the years to come.
    Early signs are not good for Sotnikova who has competed recently. With the "3/3" combo she's doing going to be deduction central. But if you compare Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva's jumps and skating to the medalists or Li, Gold or Wagner or Osmond there was just a big letdown. Moreso from Liza in the SP. Where a jump and spin did not count and reflected all her SP problems and Sotnikova's poor SP and LP. Not so much in placement but in actual skating and jumping. With Tara in 1996 that was 6.0 and of course she was buried in the SP but was also far superior to Liza and Adelina but couldn't really show it in the standings because of 6.0.

Yes and that turned out to be wrong but who is to say another Russian phenom will survive the move to seniors better than sotnikova did.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 10-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    Surprising that Radionova is getting more votes than the group of pominent juniors. Her age, body size, and jump scale considered, I think she's one of the more vulnerable to puberty monster.
    I agree about Radionova. She may grow too tall... I agree with t.mann though--she has the star quality that I really didn't see from Tuk and Lip, but Sotnikova still has star potential...

My bet is on Alexandra Proklova.
    Last edited by altai_rose; 10-05-2013 at 03:14 AM.

vCash
    Some Russian

vCash
    To early to bet on anyone but

I think Lipnitskaya has proven that she can still do all her jumps and spins after going through the major stages of puberty. I think she probably has the best chance of gold at this stage, but injuries will surely come and go within the next 4 years

I do like the young Alexandra Proklova, i think she has great potential for a future world champion. She has the jumps of Radionova, the flexibility of lipnitskaya and she doesnt just wave her arms around everywhere to try a get components. But she hasnt gone through puberty so you never know what could happen

I think Radionova will slowly fall behind, we can already see that she is having problems with 3F, and the usual 2A. I think after she finishes going through puberty she will face many injuries that could see her fall behind other russians

I think ashley will have gone into the shadows of girls that are more talented than her.

As there is still over 4 years till 2018 olympics, gracie could still be a threat. She will have had time to tweak techniques and maybe become consistent. However im not sure if her components will ever improve enough.

Osmond is not a threat

vCash
    It's too early to tell, but I like Edmunds, Gold and Chen among the American ladies.

There are several young Russians I like, but I think Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva won't be a factor by then. IMO, Lipnitskaia and Radionova also need to improve jump technique to remain a contender in 2018.

vCash
    Lipnitskaia and Radiaonova will be the women to beat by 2018, but Yu Na Kim will come back for that 3rd Olympic Gold and likely get it leaving the Russian babies with silver and bronze.

vCash
    It will be me, naturally. Needless to say, I'm way off the radar. But watch out!

But seriously, I would think it would be Lipnitsaya, Radionova, Li, Chen or Gold. But some strange things happen in this sport, so only time will tell!
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast