Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    "Video: Behind The Scenes At Team USA Media Summit" hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi (with appearances by the Kween & Agnes Zawadzki) - link posted here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4008725
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I'll pass Shep Goldberg a note in gym class. God knows Michelle Kwan needs all of the help that she can get in media training.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    It isn't that I don't appreciate that Michelle and Kristi can bring a certain level of visibility to an event like the USOC media event this week , but is it just me, or does anyone else kind of find it sad that USFS and the USOC are using former medalists to draw attention to the event/upcoming Winter Olympics? Is it that the marketing folks can not create enough "buzz" around their current crop of athletes that they have to reach back for other "ambassadors" to help market these events? There is a certain amount of inspiration that can be derived from past medalists, but to be fair to the current crop of hopeful Olympians, the "game" has changed immensely since Michelle and Kristi competed, and I find it a little demeaning to the current crop of hopefuls to turn the media event that should be about them to something that turns the camera on someone like Kwan, who is going as a reporter, not a participant. We all appreciate updates on the Kween, but honestly, let's keep this about the current Olympic hopefuls.
    You know, I understand what you're saying and what you mean. You have to also realize, however, that a lot of those current Olympic hopefuls look up to Michelle and Kristi, and dream about accomplishing what they accomplished. It's not so demeaning if you look at it with that aspect in mind. It also gives those Olympic hopefuls more determination to go after their dream.
    Angie
    ďI have not failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Re-posting these photos from the Media Summit thread:

"Two lovely ladies talk figure skating ... Kwan and @AshWagner2010 on @FOXSports1 #MediaSummit" http://pic.twitter.com/O6ffckovQc

"@CharlieaWhite and I had the honor of sitting down with Michelle Kwan yesterday; an inspiration on and off the ice!" http://pic.twitter.com/VMUYrOcQoh

Jeremy Abbott and Michelle: http://instagram.com/p/e5IlIMm3y8/

@MaxTAaron:
    "What an amazing experience that was speaking with Michelle Kwan for @FOXSports1!"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    LOVE those photos! Thank you, Sylvia!
    Angie
    ďI have not failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    The whole idea is to create buzz. Past champions help with that process and help to bring visibility to the sport which, in turn, brings visibility to the up and coming athletes. Simple.

O-
    Indeed.

The U.S. hasn't had a lady on the world podium in seven years. And while it's possible that Gold or Wagner could earn a spot on the podium in Sochi, at the moment it seems unlikely. There is no one current who can generate any buzz on her own.

But Michelle? That might get a few people to watch. And then, as you said, they will be introduced to the "new" ladies. It's better than nothing.

BTW, I agree with those that have said that Davis and White have not been 'used' as much as they could be. They have a good story. And America loves its winners.

vCash
    I wonder if part of the reason why Davis and White haven't been promoted as much as they could/should be is simply that American media or USFSA doesn't quite know what to do with ice dancers, or really any figure skaters who aren't ladies singles skaters and don't fall under the traditional pretty princess mold. Historically, the most successful American skaters have been singles skaters and we've had a long line of female medal contenders who took their turns being the face of US figure skating. (Hence the push for somebody like Gracie or even Alissa...)

Even with Belbin and Agosto, most of their publicity came from Belbin's push to gain American citizenship before the Olympics. Tanith is well-spoken and gorgeous, and quite frankly, I think that if she were a singles skater with medal potential, she probably would've become the darling of American media...not that she didn't get her moment in the limelight.

As to the topic of this thread, I haven't seen an interview with Michelle in a long time and found her to be a lot more articulate and even more poised than I remembered in the past. It's good to see her doing well. I think bringing back former champions to meet the current crop is a good idea, not just from a publicity perspective, but also a good chance for past champions to share their experiences and advice with younger skaters. For someone like Michelle who will actually have a commentating role at the Olympics, it would probably help inform her commentary to have the chance to interact and get to know these skaters a bit better.
    Last edited by marysy; 10-04-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    John Coughlin was happy to see Michelle...

John Coughlin‏@JohnCoughlinUSA1 Oct
    @kwanette I stopped what I was doing and have her a hug as soon as I saw her!

vCash
    ^^

Seeing Michelle is a huggable moment ...

vCash
    Michelle Kwan: In The Broadcast Booth (article published on Oct. 4): http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...roadcast-Booth
    Excerpt:
    Even though Kwan is 33, she shares common bonds with her young skating interviewees. With Gracie Gold, who is 18, for instance, Kwan was able to talk about Frank Carroll, who coached Kwan for years and just recently became Gold’s new coach. With two-time national champion Ashley Wagner, Kwan could talk about attempting a triple-triple, something Kwan was asked about many times in her career. Big victories, narrow losses, injuries, coaching changes — Kwan has pretty much seen and done it all.

Kwan also could relate to the skaters, especially because she dealt with similar outside pressures, be it from sponsors, financial issues and, of course, the media.

“I want to be careful when I’m asking them some questions because I know what it’s like,” Kwan said. “But I was surprised when some of them answered my questions the way they did, saying things like, ‘My goal isn’t just to make the Olympic Team but compete for the gold medal.’ I never formulated my answers that way, but I admire that.”

vCash
    Yet another appearance by the Kween! http://www.espnwsummit.com/agenda/
    This time at the ESPNW Women+Sports Summit in Dana Point, California: http://www.espnwsummit.com/agenda/
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013
    6:15pm - 7:00pm
    Opening Keynote: Making an Impact as an Athlete and Beyond, with Michelle Kwan
    --
    Making an Impact: The Special Olympics, with Michelle Kwan, Patrick McClenahan, Debi Anderson, Dustin Plunkett, moderated by Sage Steele

vCash
    Why did they snub the men?

vCash
    Article on Kwan's keynote speech & video highlights: http://espn.go.com/espnw/w-in-action...mpetitive-life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12