Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Michelle Kwan Google Hangout Tomorrow, October 1. Ask her Questions!

Tomorrow at 4:00 PM EST, Michelle Kwan will have a google hangout session with her fans. People are encouraged to pose questions for her. I will definitely be there (even though I'm supposed to be working).

http://bit.ly/HangoutWithKwan
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    PML and the first question wants to know when she's going to get pregnant. She may read these and bail.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    PML and the first question wants to know when she's going to get pregnant. She may read these and bail.
    Yeah, I saw that. I was like um...
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I'm sure that's a question that will receive the "diplomatic" non-answer it deserves!

vCash
    I managed to get in on the last couple of minutes...just long enough to hear her answering the last few questions. She was absolutely nothing more than cordial, lovely, and having fun with it (but I did miss the early question! lol)...I just wish the whole thing had lasted for longer than 15 minutes!

vCash
    Here's the video of the Hangout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cNEXDFqJ4

Some interesting tidbits...her favorite dress is the 2002 purple Rachmaninoff dress. She said it wasn't too comfortable though as she would scrape her arm on the beading from the sides when she went for a jump.

One piece of music she never skated to but would have loved to was Romeo and Juliet. Now which version, she never specified.

I also found a State Dept. video of Michelle Kwan addressing the public regarding the Disabilities Treaty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_oJB1h2UM

She sort of looks presidential there.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I'm glad she had something to do on her "day off"

vCash
    She leads a full, busy, and productive life.; which surely will be even more so, in the future.

vCash
    She was asked about whether she would coach. Her answer was thoughtful in that she realizes how important it is for a coach to be fully committed and available to the athlete. Her busy schedule and many commitments would make that impractical, at least it seems, for now.

vCash
    She also said that, if she could take up any Summer Olympic sport, it would be gymnastics. It made me wonder if Michelle had ever tried gymnastics. I know Sasha did. Or maybe it's just because she enjoys watching it. It was an interesting interview overall and Michelle looked beautiful, as always.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Ooze! lol

vCash
    It isn't that I don't appreciate that Michelle and Kristi can bring a certain level of visibility to an event like the USOC media event this week , but is it just me, or does anyone else kind of find it sad that USFS and the USOC are using former medalists to draw attention to the event/upcoming Winter Olympics? Is it that the marketing folks can not create enough "buzz" around their current crop of athletes that they have to reach back for other "ambassadors" to help market these events? There is a certain amount of inspiration that can be derived from past medalists, but to be fair to the current crop of hopeful Olympians, the "game" has changed immensely since Michelle and Kristi competed, and I find it a little demeaning to the current crop of hopefuls to turn the media event that should be about them to something that turns the camera on someone like Kwan, who is going as a reporter, not a participant. We all appreciate updates on the Kween, but honestly, let's keep this about the current Olympic hopefuls.

vCash
    Well, the US singles skaters that end up in Sochi are absolute long shots for medals and they more than likely won't be standing on the podium. I didn't mind having someone like Kwan talking about them, in fact, I think that's a good way to start getting their names out there.

I WOULD like to see USFS promoting Davis and White. They have a very realistic shot at winning the Olympics and their battle with V/M is every bit as compelling as the "Battle of the Brians" or the "Battle of the Carmens" (even more so, I think).
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I wasn't just talking about the figure skaters. And I agree, that Davis and White are under appreciated and under utilized by their NGBS and federation.

There were many other sports represented at the media event and to be fair to those athletes, many who attended are prior Olympic medalists in their sports, I wonder how they feel when the cameras are turned towards someone like Kwan, who then becomes the story, rather than staying in the role of journalist. :-/

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    It isn't that I don't appreciate that Michelle and Kristi can bring a certain level of visibility to an event like the USOC media event this week , but is it just me, or does anyone else kind of find it sad that USFS and the USOC are using former medalists to draw attention to the event/upcoming Winter Olympics? Is it that the marketing folks can not create enough "buzz" around their current crop of athletes that they have to reach back for other "ambassadors" to help market these events? There is a certain amount of inspiration that can be derived from past medalists, but to be fair to the current crop of hopeful Olympians, the "game" has changed immensely since Michelle and Kristi competed, and I find it a little demeaning to the current crop of hopefuls to turn the media event that should be about them to something that turns the camera on someone like Kwan, who is going as a reporter, not a participant. We all appreciate updates on the Kween, but honestly, let's keep this about the current Olympic hopefuls.
    Michelle was there in her role as a correspondent for Fox Sports. Isn't Kristi the Team USA digital ambassador?

It's too bad that Newsday didn't send Sarah Hughes. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

vCash
    Yes, Michelle was there as a Fox correspondent, but she also was interviewed. Perhaps she should politely decline those opportunities, esp when in light of the setting of this event. A learning moment for her. "Tell the story, don't become the story" , as a very well respected rhetoric prof would tell us in class.

vCash
    You're really making a big deal out of this, aren't you? It's one 13 minute interview. It's not like there are banners everywhere with Kristi and Michelle's faces. In the past, when networks hired "celebrity" correspondents to cover their respective sports, those notable interviewers are often interviewed for their perspective on the sport. They have a lot of perspective they can provide that most other reporters cannot. Also, the Olympics not ONE story, it's multiple stories covering the sport for the upcoming Olympics. It'll be one thing if she was covering say...Patrick Chan winning gold but makes it all about herself. But this is just about the Olympic experience, training as a skater, and all the human-interest stuff that comes with the Olympics and figure skating.

Watch ESPN, it happens with other sports all of the time.

vCash
    I think it is just you.

vCash
    To be fair, they have always leveraged their past champions. Remember seeing both Kristi and Sarah in past years making appearances, signing autographs, etc. It doesn't reflect negatively on the current crop of skaters. It's just that most casual fans only know past champs, not current competitors, so you have to get these recognizable faces to reel them in. Given the relative popularity of Ladies' skating, and the great legacy of Ladies skating in the US, of course you would use them if you could. Especially if they are in every sense *perfect* ambassadors of the sport like Michelle and Kristi.

vCash
    The whole idea is to create buzz. Past champions help with that process and help to bring visibility to the sport which, in turn, brings visibility to the up and coming athletes. Simple.

O-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast