Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    The other issue to consider is this:

When was the last time a female figure skater was labelled "lesbian"?

When was the last time a male figure skater was called "gay"?

It's not hard to work out why the men are staying silent on this issue. If they say they support the rights of gays in Russia, they will immediately be suspected/accused of being gay themselves (following the oh-so-intelligent logic of "otherwise why else would he care?" ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    The way I read it Evan, Gracie, and Max did the equivalent of "no comment", Agnes said the equivalent of 'I can't be bothered to care one way or the other, the issue doesn't concern me'.

Now that Ashley has eloquently said something, and Jeremy not so eloquently- I wonder if more skaters will feel comfortable saying something? I honestly think many of them are scared to take a stand.
    Not trying to justify her response, but isn't Agnes assigned to the GP in Moscow? I thought I read on here that Olympic athletes don't need to obtain a visa, but wouldn't she need to obtain one for this event? I wonder how much her response had to do with that, and if USFS advised her in any way.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Not trying to justify her response, but isn't Agnes assigned to the GP in Moscow? I thought I read on here that Olympic athletes don't need to obtain a visa, but wouldn't she need to obtain one for this event? I wonder how much her response had to do with that, and if USFS advised her in any way.
    Well, there were other ways to answer the question without sounding absolutely self-centered. But maybe that's just my interpretation of her response.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    The article says that "the USOC told the skaters what its position was." What *IS* its position exactly? Have they made a statement?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Wow, good for Ashley! Gutsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    The way I read it Evan, Gracie, and Max did the equivalent of "no comment", Agnes said the equivalent of 'I can't be bothered to care one way or the other, the issue doesn't concern me'.
    Where do you see specifics on Agnes? The article and the tweet lumped her with Gracie and Max.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Wow, good for Ashley! Gutsy.

Where do you see specifics on Agnes? The article and the tweet lumped her with Gracie and Max.
    http://tlrd.us/18mgxC5

“The Olympics are about all the countries coming together and being as one. My main focus is going to be the Olympics and enjoying the moment, if I make it, and representing the U.S. really well and showing that I’m proud to be an American … I’m not there to make a difference. I’m going to focus on myself and what I have to do to compete well.”
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well, there were other ways to answer the question without sounding absolutely self-centered. But maybe that's just my interpretation of her response.
    I had not heard it, so I looked up Agnes' response:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...523_story.html
    "I’m not there to make a difference,” Zawadzki said of the Sochi Games, should she earn a spot on the 2014 U.S. squad. “I want to focus on myself and what I have to do well to compete well at the Olympics.”

A extraordinarily poor choice of words. Perhaps the USFS media training backfired, or maybe she really is just that myopic and self-centered. She probably knew she wasn't in the running for Gay Icon, anyway

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I really don't get why the athletes are so scared of saying anything while at home in the U.S. Sure, they don't want to say anything that would imply they would say anything while in Russia, but speaking about the law while at home?

I can only wonder if the fear isn't created by the USFSA and perhaps USOC telling them to be hush-hush.

I would say there is zero likelihood Russia is suddenly going to bar Olympic athletes based on statements they've made at home about the law. This law is for Russian internal politics; they don't want to make it into some crazy international trouble.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I had not heard it, so I looked up Agnes' response:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...523_story.html
    "I’m not there to make a difference,” Zawadzki said of the Sochi Games, should she earn a spot on the 2014 U.S. squad. “I want to focus on myself and what I have to do well to compete well at the Olympics.”

A extraordinarily poor choice of words. Perhaps the USFS media training backfired, or maybe she really is just that myopic and self-centered. She probably knew she wasn't in the running for Gay Icon, anyway
    And you wonder why more skaters aren't speaking out? Because if they say one perceived "wrong" thing, they get lambasted. These are athletes, not politicians and not Miss America contestants. Leave them alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Leave them alone.
    She made a statement to the press, and we are discussing it. It is hardly intrusive to do that.
    If she made a statement to her friend in a coffee shop, someone over heard it and posted it that would be someone who needs to be left alone.

I don't blame those who don't speak out, but those who do are going to be discussed. Some will be lauded for their position, some will stumble mightly over how they phrase things. It is the nature of making a public statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    And you wonder why more skaters aren't speaking out? Because if they say one perceived "wrong" thing, they get lambasted. These are athletes, not politicians and not Miss America contestants. Leave them alone.
    She issued a statement at an official Olympic event where it seems everyone was asked the same question (and previously USFS had told its skaters that this question would likely come up). Unless there's compete silence during these interviews, opinions are voiced and they should be open for discussion. If she were asked about minority rights or women's rights and she answered 'I'm don't want to make a difference, I'm just here for ME' , wouldn't that be at best a cry for media training?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzig View Post
    She's fearless on and off the ice - kudos to her!
    Yep! Like I said in the TSL interview thread: If Ashley's mother is a Bear, she definitely gave birth to a Mountain Lion!

Fearless, indeed. Love her spirit, her style and her fierce determination. Go Ash Wagner!

vCash
    Brava, Ashley!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    US skater Ashley Wagner slams Russia's anti-gay law - VIDEO
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/vid...ssia-gay-video
    American figure skater Ashley Wagner hopes to be a voice for Russia's gay community at next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi. The skater has condemned the treatment of gay, lesbian, and transsexual people in Russia, who have been subject to a state crackdown in recent months. Wagner says although she can't stop the community's plight, she wants to be a symbol of hope for LGBT people all over Russia
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    I'll add my

vCash
    Kudo to Ashley!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    One can't just travel to Russia without authorization, whether it's a formal visa or a substitute document (to be used in lieu of visa) for athletic competitions. It's possible you have hit upon a valid consideration, and Agnes and/or the USFS doesn't want to risk advance-prejudice against her for either paperwork or the competition itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I would say there is zero likelihood Russia is suddenly going to bar Olympic athletes based on statements they've made at home about the law. This law is for Russian internal politics; they don't want to make it into some crazy international trouble.
    I would say it is unlikely but the chance is definitely more than zero. Russia wouldn't be so clumsy as to bar a foreign athlete outright, but could selectively hold up issuance of visas/travel documents to either make competition travel impossible or so last-minute it would rattle the athlete coming from a long distance. And while an incident might create international suspicion and bad press and particularly if the athlete had been one of those who publicly spoke out against this law, in the end, there would be absolutely no recourse for an individual athlete, federation, sporting authority, national Olympic Committee, or the IOC. No outside group is going to start a war over this issue with Russia.

Quadless
    vCash
    I thought someone posted earlier that the visa requirements will be waived for all athletes.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I thought someone posted earlier that the visa requirements will be waived for all athletes.
    But it may not be for non-Olympic events; which many skaters and athletes in other sports still have to worry about.

(Still, I think "no comment" is better than a really poorly worded comment. Heck- there might be athletes out there who think this law is awesome. But unless they are very brave, they are going to stick with "no comment" in the US.)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Good for Ashley, too bad none of the other skaters aren't as brave.
    I think that's kind of harsh. All these skaters are just a matter of years out of their 20's (and Gold at 18 is still in her teens). Even the elder two (Lysacek and Abbott, both at 28) are less than a decade from their teens. How many people in their 20's were standing on a world stage championing human rights? It's great there is someone like Wagner who has the inner strength to stand up against injustice, but I don't think we should expect it from everyone. Especially when they are all still relatively young.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast