vCash

Top Plushenko Rival Bids for Olympic Figure Skating Place

Top Plushenko Rival Bids for Olympic Figure Skating Place
    http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...691537439.html
    Host nation Russia has been allocated just one place in the men’s singles for Sochi, putting pressure on the injury-ravaged Plushenko, who has not competed since January, to prove he is still capable of skating at the top level.

That pressure increased Thursday when Kovtun debuted a short program featuring two jumps with four rotations, an extremely challenging program feature seen as essential for gold-medal contenders.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Thanks for the article, I enjoyed reading it.

I imagine Evgeni enjoys all comers, especially the up & coming young'uns from Russia, after all that is the mindset of a true champion ~ to face all challengers, not be afraid of competition, but rather relish it!

vCash
    Kovtun still has a long way to go- jump wise. Just doing all planned elements for the first time As a senior. That even includes the 4 combo lp at euros which surely was unplanned.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I imagine Evgeni enjoys all comers, especially the up & coming young'uns from Russia, after all that is the mindset of a true champion ~ to face all challengers, not be afraid of competition, but rather relish it!
    I very much agree.

vCash
    Russian Cup in Sochi Men SP 1. Kovtun 78.00 4S fall, 4T hand down + 1T, 3A GOE +1; 2. Menshov 71.40 3A GOE -2, 4T-2T, 2Z.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    I scarecely think Kovtun is Plushenko's main rival. Voronov put on a helluva show in Finland, and Gachinski recovered from a disastrous SP to pull all the way up to third with his free skate!! The only reason Kovtun is Plushenko's 'main rival' is because it is Tatiana Tarosova who's saying it!! (And Kovtun is HER skater..)

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Kovtun needs to focus on actually planning programs he can LAND his jumps in, and perhaps improve the artistry, which I am sure will come with time. Right now, I doubt he's the "main rival" of Plushenko in terms of consistency or ability to land stuff in international events when it counts.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
    I scarecely think Kovtun is Plushenko's main rival. Voronov put on a helluva show in Finland, and Gachinski recovered from a disastrous SP to pull all the way up to third with his free skate!! The only reason Kovtun is Plushenko's 'main rival' is because it is Tatiana Tarosova who's saying it!! (And Kovtun is HER skater..)
    You are right!

vCash
    Ah, the intrigue of Russian figure skating, and all the behind the scenes machinations...