vCash

2014 Olympic judges draw and Olympic spots scorecard (post-Nebelhorn article)

"Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So Russia has a judge potentially in every single event to include the team event? Wow, that's pretty good.. The USA did well, potentially on all 4 panels in the "regular" competition..

vCash
    Interesting article, I particularly liked reading about the "nebelhorn scorecard".

And Yeah for the lovely Isadora Williams to be representing Brazil ~ their first ever Olympic figure skater!

vCash
    Did France just not submit itself for the team event judging? They're one of the nations that could threaten for a medal, imo, and its weird not to see them anywhere there. (and they are on all four panels otherwise, which makes it odder)

vCash
    My understanding is that it is simple bad luck that no French judges were drawn for the team event. The draws for the team event, I believe, used the 13 judges drawn for the individual events. However, the team event does not draw 13 judges; it draws only nine judges per discipline. So even though the French are likely to be among the top five teams in the team event, they will have no judge on any panel.

vCash
    I see no conspiracy theories or machinations going on, it's just the luck of the draw is all, or in France's case bad luck.

But when one's country isn't on the winning end there will always be speculation...so be it.

vCash
    I hope I didn't come off as conspiracy minded. It's a new event, and we've seen ISU members misunderstand the rules to the point where skaters themselves have been omitted from competition (Javier Raya last year), so I wondered if there was a possible explanation beyond luck.

Though re-reading my post, I totally see how I came off as such.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    with the new judging system in place now and the level of accountability and random systems in place I'm not too worried as a Canadian that there are few Judges.. At the end of the day the cream always rises to the top
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Communication 1821 was published on 1 October and lists the judges grid on page 3.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Skate Canada announced their Olympic judges today: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    OTTAWA, ONT: Canada will have three judges at the upcoming 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia: Jodi Abbott, Edmonton, Alta. [ice dance]; Karen Butcher, Ottawa, Ont. [pairs & men’s and pair segments of the team event]; and Karen Howard, Regina, Sask. [ladies].
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden