Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

The Good Wife ~ Season 5

Season 5 premiere is tonight at 9 pm Eastern! http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/29/go...on-5-premiere/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow! Tight writing continues. This show is brilliant!

vCash
    I love this show. Great writing, compelling storylines. Really enjoyed the episode.

vCash
    What I've always loved about this show is that it is unpredictable and surprising; and that the characters are neither black nor white, but lovely shades of grey.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Are we buying that so many fourth-year associates didn't know it was a bad idea to use their company phones to steal clients from their soon-to-be ex-bosses? Kalinda did an amazing job at being impartial...and vague when necessary (aka David). But I'm totally with Alicia, they need to get out of their quick. Even if the bigwigs weren't on to them (which they ARE), they're just sitting on a timebomb. Not only in regards to being found out, but leading on clients who could turn on them and make their new firm crumble before it even starts.

Question about the client in tonight's episode. Where did the end leave him? Off death row, but serving life in prison? Or are we to assume that he'll be in prison only temporarily and with the new information, his lawyers will get him off scott-free in time. He'd be due a major amount of cash in a wrongful imprisonment suit, right? Could he also sue for all the pain and suffering they put an innocent man through? Any idea how much money someone would get in this kind of case??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I'm still wondering why Alicia wants to leave the firm and go with the 4th years. Is she hoping to rekindle her affair with Will since he would no longer be her boss? I kind of think maybe because of what she uttered under her breath near the end of the episode about hoping Will won't hate/dislike (whatever the word was) her after. Or will she still be "the good wife" and now first lady? Perhaps she's hoping to hold down both positions and have both men at her beck and call? Really not sure where they are going on this particular arc. Thoughts?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I'm still wondering why Alicia wants to leave the firm and go with the 4th years. Is she hoping to rekindle her affair with Will since he would no longer be her boss? I kind of think maybe because of what she uttered under her breath near the end of the episode about hoping Will won't hate/dislike (whatever the word was) her after. Or will she still be "the good wife" and now first lady? Perhaps she's hoping to hold down both positions and have both men at her beck and call? Really not sure where they are going on this particular arc. Thoughts?
    I don't think she's doing everything with a view to men in her life. She has drive, ambition and a brain she wants to use. Almost all other series portray women in relation to men and I find them boring. Margulies said she was so grateful that it was Carey at the door and not Will when she read the script. I love this show for showing all facets of the female experience. Who knows where it's all going. That's what makes it gripping tv.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Are we buying that so many fourth-year associates didn't know it was a bad idea to use their company phones to steal clients from their soon-to-be ex-bosses?
    Actually, that part of the story made little sense to me. Such phone calls shouldn't look suspicious here. A sophisticated client is unlikely to leave an experienced partner to go with a fourth-year associate. If they did, it would only be because they had worked closely with a particular associate and developed a good working relationship with them as a result of working with them a lot. As a result, an associate almost certainly would have placed many phone calls to the client as part of their work. It shouldn't look suspicious. But, this is a tv show, not reality. In reality, junior and mid-level associates in a firm like this generally aren't given the kind of responsibility the attorneys on this show have and aren't even considered for partnership, especially in this economy.

vCash
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...preview-639172

'The Good Wife': 8 Teases From the Dramatic New Season 5 Promo (Video)
    1:07 PM PDT 9/30/2013 by Philiana Ng

CBS released a minute-long preview following the Sept. 29 premiere and THR rounds up the highlights.

[Warning: Spoilers ahead for season five of The Good Wife.]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet
    I don't think she's doing everything with a view to men in her life. She has drive, ambition and a brain she wants to use.
    Actually, the writers gave an interview after season 4 stating that Alicia's choice to leave the firm is also her walking away from Will. She's made the decision to stay with Peter and leaving the firm is her way of both leaving and staying away from Will. So while it would be nice to think that this decision had nothing to do with the men in her life, and while this episode showed that it is something she's always wanted to do, the men in her life were the catalyst.

I'll try to find the interview...it was on tvline a while back...

ETA - Found it!

The salient part is:
    But what about that other, arguably even bigger choice we were led to believe she was going to make — the one between husband (and newly-minted Governor) Peter and longtime crush Will? Although it seemed like the episode provided no clear-cut answer to that question, exec producer Robert King insists that when Alicia aligned herself with Cary she was essentially severing ties with Will.
    “She’s leaving Lockhart/Gardner because she needs to create distance between herself and Will,” he explains. “She knows the kiss has opened a door and the only way to close it is to get away from him.”
    Last edited by *Jen*; 10-01-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    And yet ... I seem to recall reading somewhere (here maybe?) that Alicia might leave the firm so that she would feel more comfortable being Will once he was no longer her boss. Dang if I can remember where I read that interpretation.

Going to be a great season again, methinks! and looking forward to it. I really hope Alicia stays with hubby -- first wife AND having her own business. Lots of power for her to possibly wield
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    And yet ... I seem to recall reading somewhere (here maybe?) that Alicia might leave the firm so that she would feel more comfortable being Will once he was no longer her boss. Dang if I can remember where I read that interpretation.

Going to be a great season again, methinks! and looking forward to it. I really hope Alicia stays with hubby -- first wife AND having her own business. Lots of power for her to possibly wield
    I'm the opposite. I wish she'd leave Peter! Not saying she should be with Will, but Peter irks me and I'm willing to bet his electoral transgressions will come to light and he'll be the 5th governor in 8 years to go to prison...or at least regret firing their ethics commissioner

The idea that Alicia would be more comfortable with Will when he's no longer her boss has a lot of merit, and I thought it at first when I saw the finale too...but then I read that interview with the writers and realised it wasn't what they intended, so I'm taking their word for it since they should be in the know

Emphasis on should

vCash
    Finally watched it. LOVED the whole thing. COTW was pretty good. I'm guessing Peter stayed the execution? Wonder how that will play out in the 'no conflicts with the wife' law firm' thing? Melissa George from Alias's 3rd season was the man trap ethics person. Glad she's now working at transit. @ Alan Cummings in that scene.

That telecommuting robot brought some levity to a tense show.

I'd rather not see Alicia leave with Cary's team. They seem to be a bunch of whining brats (and that one who made the snide comment about Will needs to be the first one booted). Plus, the $$$ she put up for the partnership, doesn't she lose that when leaving?

So, this year's 'Florrick children' subplot will revolve around Grace discovering makeup and short skirts? I liked her better when she was lost.

vCash
    It makes no sense to me that Alicia's response to realizing that Peter's campaign was involved in voter fraud would be to break away from Will in order to commit to her marriage with Peter.

I'd like Alicia to say goodbye to both Will and Peter.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Alicia + Kalinda 4evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    It makes no sense to me that Alicia's response to realizing that Peter's campaign was involved in voter fraud would be to break away from Will in order to commit to her marriage with Peter.

Does Alicia know that? I missed a key episode last season. Can you recap?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Does Alicia know that? I missed a key episode last season. Can you recap?
    Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how I interpreted that scene from the victory party in the season finale. I interpreted Alicia's reaction to be that she realized that the campaign had cheated and then she abruptly left the party and went back to her apartment.

I'm hoping that she find out that Will knew that Peter had cheated and didn't tell her and that she just tells both Will and Peter to get out of her life.

vCash
    Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how I interpreted that scene from the victory party in the season finale. I interpreted Alicia's reaction to be that she realized that the campaign had cheated and then she abruptly left the party and went back to her apartment.

I'm hoping that she find out that Will knew that Peter had cheated and didn't tell her and that she just tells both Will and Peter to get out of her life.
    I didn't see that episode...but I'm inclined to agree with the Will/Peter thing. Maybe that will be the series finale...

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

I didn't take the two events to be connected -- at least not in an A leads to B kind of way re: Will vs Peter. I took it more as a "something has to change, I have to do something" realization.

And after all, iirc, weren't we led to believe that Eli orchestrated the cheat ... but Peter didn't know anything about it?

I liked the new & improved Peter in the last season, and I'm glad they showed Peter being genuinely glad for Alicia. But almost as important, I'm glad they used the opportunity to throw in the "you've wanted your own firm since law school" bit of info -- that to me nails the point that Alicia is doing this for herself and not because of Will and/or Peter.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Are we buying that so many fourth-year associates didn't know it was a bad idea to use their company phones to steal clients from their soon-to-be ex-bosses?
    It would have been more convincing if the data had shown at there was an unusual pattern with their phone calls or the time of their calls didn't match their billing sheets, because I'd expect them to be calling their clients regularly.

What I found ridiculous is that they were practically running around giving each other the secret handshake and weren't remotely subtle about it, and they suddenly realized their departure date wasn't conducive to their bonuses being paid, without any indication that the date was moved out?

The fourth years are such amateurs.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast