vCash

What if Bonaly had won the 93 Worlds

Had Bonaly won the 93 Worlds would she have had to be taken more seriously as a gold contender at the 94 Olympics. It seems after Nancy and Oksana skated well the judges almost awared them gold and silver already, and Surya had to try and beat Lu's strong performance for the bronze. However if she was reigning World Champion would they have had to consider her a gold contender and left room for her to possibly win. Had she still skated the same way would she also have been placed higher than 3rd in the short (especialy with Baiul's two footed combo) and been held up in the long even with 2 or 3 big mistakes and given/gifted the bronze even over Lu's clean skate due to being reigning World Champion. What would have been different going into and at the 94 Olympics for her.

Would she have also won the 94 and/or 95 Worlds if she were already a World Champion.

vCash
    Vanessa Riley Would have had a heart attack.

vCash
    Its hard to say. Bonaly did get respect from the judges at Europeans, but it didn't generally translate to outside of that. I don't think she would have medalled at all with the way she performed though in Lillehammer regardless if she had won worlds prior. As for the next 2 worlds, she might have taken an ordinal or 2, but again with the way she skated in the LP at 94 worlds and the SP in 95 shes lucky that others were either missing or not skating at their best (Bobek).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    Its hard to say. Bonaly did get respect from the judges at Europeans, but it didn't generally translate to outside of that. I don't think she would have medalled at all with the way she performed though in Lillehammer regardless if she had won worlds prior. As for the next 2 worlds, she might have taken an ordinal or 2, but again with the way she skated in the LP at 94 worlds and the SP in 95 shes lucky that others were either missing or not skating at their best (Bobek).
    Well if she were the reigning World Champion she probably would have won the SP in Lillehammer over Kerrigan, whether deserved or not. Apart from the attack Nancy wasnt such a big name anymore after her flop at the 93 Worlds, and the reigning World Champion with a clean skate would have been placed above her (just like Baiul would have had she been clean in the short). Then if the long program placements remained the same, that would have meant a medal overall despite her poor skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Well if she were the reigning World Champion she probably would have won the SP in Lillehammer over Kerrigan, whether deserved or not. Apart from the attack Nancy wasnt such a big name anymore after her flop at the 93 Worlds, and the reigning World Champion with a clean skate would have been placed above her (just like Baiul would have had she been clean in the short). Then if the long program placements remained the same, that would have meant a medal overall despite her poor skate.
    I definitely see that happening even if I don't agree with it. I actually really liked Kerrigans SP that season. She almost always had much better shorts than longs. I still think a clean Kerrigan had the better skate (better elements, spins and her jumps were light and crisp) than Bonaly and should have been ahead of her, but it is possible the opposite would have happened had she been the reigning world champ.

vCash
    The judges were ready and willing to give Bonaly the bronze at the 94 Olympics. Maybe even higher had she skated perfectly based on her generous scores (lots of 5.8s for technical still) for a skate with 2 huge errors on the most important jump. She was not cost a medal by not being World Champion. She was cost it since she didnt skate well. Even she herself knew it, that is why she didnt make a fuss like the 94 Worlds when she didnt win after skating well.

vCash
    I think there was a majority of judges that simply didn't think Surya, given her skating skills, was World Gold Medal worthy, much less Olympic Gold Medal worthy. She lost to Baiul '93, Sato '94 and Chen '95 with greater jump content than all of them. I think regardless of how she skated, she'd have been put behind those strong performances by Baiul and Kerrigan in Lilliehammer. If Kerrigan had won 93 Worlds, or if there had been a different panel, she might be the Olympic Gold Medalist, but not Bonaly.

Perhaps if Baiul and Kerrigan both missed, Bonaly would have come out on top with mixed ordinals, much in the manner of Hughes '02, who was also not favored to win. I think both Bonaly and Hughes were both thought to be 'less quality more quantity' skaters of their era, relative to the favorites. But Baiul and Kerrigan were both 'ON' in Lillehammer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I think there was a majority of judges that simply didn't think Surya, given her skating skills, was World Gold Medal worthy, much less Olympic Gold Medal worthy. She lost to Baiul '93, Sato '94 and Chen '95 with greater jump content than all of them. I think regardless of how she skated, she'd have been put behind those strong performances by Baiul and Kerrigan in Lilliehammer. If Kerrigan had won 93 Worlds, or if there had been a different panel, she might be the Olympic Gold Medalist, but not Bonaly.

Perhaps if Baiul and Kerrigan both missed, Bonaly would have come out on top with mixed ordinals, much in the manner of Hughes '02, who was also not favored to win. I think both Bonaly and Hughes were both thought to be 'less quality more quantity' skaters of their era, relative to the favorites. But Baiul and Kerrigan were both 'ON' in Lillehammer.
    Hughes was not the reigning World Champion going into 2002 though. That is why she needed mistakes from Kwan and Slutskaya to win. The same probably of Bonaly with Kerrigan and Baiul in 94. What if she were the reigning World Champion though, that would change everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    Bonaly gave up in her performance in Lillehammer since she didnt want an Olympic bronze medal. She only wanted the gold. She knew she could easily still win the bronze with a clean skate but she probably couldnt get gold or silver after the marks of Baiul and Nancy so she gave up. Had she been reigning World Champion and the judges left room for her to win she probably would have skated great like she did at the 93 and 94 Worlds.