Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    At this moment, no. But she has 3 months to Japanese Nats...

vCash
    I agree with most others here that say at the moment no, but in the next few months, it certainly is a possibility! We have to remember she is already in this kind of shape only 6 months post-pregnancy? As for winning Japan Nationals, I wouldn't be so quick to say Mao is unbeatable, certainly she is the favourite but if she makes multiple mistakes, there is still that chance Miki could claim the top spot if her condition improves! Unlikely as there are still many other strong contenders, but who knows? Ice is slippery...

Btw, does anyone know if Ando is scheduled to compete anytime between now and Japanese Nationals? Does she have to do sectionals, etc.? And any international competitions too?

vCash
    Ando might / probably will get an international B. The JSF would be silly not to get her out there and prove where she is in preparation to select a team

vCash
    The fact the JSF according to some of you, and a report on FSUN from a Japanese poster several months ago indicates Miki would have to win Japanese Nationals to make the Games, which on the surface seems absurd for a former 2 time World Champion, shows me one thing. The JSF are not on board with her comeback and she is not a favorite of theirs anymore at this point. That makes it even more next to impossible she will be making it to the Games. They dont really want her on team, then she would have to force their hand with spectacular skating, far better than her skating to even win the 2011 Worlds which would barely be top 5 or 6 today (although that is still about all Murakami and Suzuki are capable of too but they seem more in favor now).

vCash
    Does Miki have a grand-prix assignment or another International assignment? For the life of me I just can't remember. Also did she make the tech scores at Nebelhorn? I would think so but I don't remember the scores needed to compete at Olympics/Worlds

vCash
    I'm pretty sure she has no GP assignment now, but with Yu Na's injury and other possible dropouts, I would be surprised if some fed didn't invite her.

ETA: My bad. I didnt realize both Yu Na's replacements had already been picked. Wow. Courtney Hicks and Amelie Lacoste over Miki? I guess she really is being screwed over by her own fed.

If I were Kanako or Akiko I'd be concerned and if I were the Japanese fed I'd be hedging my bets. Miki hasn't proved she is top-five Olympic material yet, which I guess is what the Japanese fed is aiming for from both its ladies, but she HAS proved she's got astounding determination, the ability to stand up two solid programs, and at least in her recent show programs, the ability to touch the heart in a new way. I think a lot of people want to see her now too because it's such a remarkable human-interest story. And she has three more months to improve.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 09-30-2013 at 01:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'm pretty sure she has no GP assignment now, but with Yu Na's injury and other possible dropouts, I would be surprised if some fed didn't invite her.

ETA: My bad. I didnt realize both Yu Na's replacements had already been picked. Wow. Courtney Hicks and Amelie Lacoste over Miki? I guess she really is being screwed over by her own fed.

If I were Kanako or Akiko I'd be concerned and if I were the Japanese fed I'd be hedging my bets. Miki hasn't proved she is top-five Olympic material yet, which I guess is what the Japanese fed is aiming for from both its ladies, but she HAS proved she's got astounding determination, the ability to stand up two solid programs, and at least in her recent show programs, the ability to touch the heart in a new way. I think a lot of people want to see her now too because it's such a remarkable human-interest story. And she has three more months to improve.
    How exactly do you think replacements on the GP are picked? It has nothing to do with her federation, there's an alternate list they must pick from for Pete's sakes and she's not even on it (or anywhere near it for that matter), so no she is not being screwed over by her fed.

vCash
    Thanks for the correction - I thought feds at least played a role in submitting or approving names.

But Miki is still being screwed over by her fed with the impossible bar they set her for making it to Sochi. IMHO.

vCash
    I'm not sure I buy Sakoto Miyahara as much of a threat to Suzuki/Murakami at this point either. Miyahara's jumps are so small they tend to get called UR'ed a lot (at World Juniors, she attempted 10 triples over two programs. Only one was considered fully rotated). Murakami gets dinged too, but not even remotely as badly. I'm sure we'll have seen some improvement, but not enough imo.

vCash
    IMO if Miki wins even a silver at the Japanese nationals, her fed would be stupid to not send her to the Olympics. If she gets in shape, she would be in a much better position than Kanako (may be even Suzuki, who usually does not get high marks from the judges) to medal there. They need a strong backup to Mao, just in case she cannot deliver.

I don't see Miyahara as a factor here. Murakami- may be, depending on how she skates during the season.

Is Miki going to compete without a coach? That will not help her. She needs someone politicking for her, especially at the Japanese nationals.

vCash
    It seems unduly harsh of the Japanese Fed to stipulate that Miki has to win Gold at Nationals for a spot on Olympic team. Then again, re Yukari, it seemed quite unfair that Miki was chosen for that Olympic team when Yukari was beating her all season long. I don't want the see Miki get an easy ride at someone else's expense, nor do I want her to be given unfair and unrealistic requirements. Will they ever evaluate her fairly?

To answer the OP's question, NO, she most likely won't be on that Olympic team if she has to win Nationals to qualify. To me, it's fathomable that she could beat Mao since Mao has had her bad days before, but highly unlikely that she'd beat Suzuki and Murakami as well all in one competition.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    But Miki is still being screwed over by her fed with the impossible bar they set her for making it to Sochi. IMHO.
    The Japanese Federation has used a system based on several performances over time for the non-winning berths since at least 2006. Since Miki has a minimal sample of performances, at some level, it is fair that she has to earn the one guaranteed spot by winning. However, it would be ridiculous if she did not get named to the team if Miki and Mao both performed World Medal Level performances and Mao won by subjective criteria, that is they had comparable TES Base so GOEs and PCS were the determining factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    From what Miki showed at Nebelhorn, it was good, but it would take a major falling out on Akiko or Kanako to let her on the team based on what we've seen so far. She only had the 3Lz-2Lo and 3Lo in the SP, and in the free only 6 triples planned, and only 1 lutz.

Um, she had a baby six months ago. I don't think anyone thinks she can beat Akiko or Kanako in her present state. But many folks are very impressed with how quickly she has progressed since childbirth and are projecting her to be much better by the time Nationals rolls around.

vCash
    If anyone gets bumped for Miki, I hope it's Akiko. I've secretly harbored an irrational grudge against her for swooping in and taking Yukari Nakano's presumed Olympic spot from her in 2010 and doing it by only .17 points.

vCash
    Meanie. How could anyone harbor a grudge against the charming, gracious, courageous Akiko?

vCash
    Poor Nakano. I really wish she had gone to Vancouver instead of Suzuki. Suzuki wasnt competitive there as we saw. She couldnt even beat Flatt who had 2 downgrades, despite skating her best in both programs.

vCash
    Yes. We all have seen how much JSF hates Suzuki. You just need to remember NHK from last year. That's the same organization that sent Ando to Turin, instead of Nakano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Poor Nakano. I really wish she had gone to Vancouver instead of Suzuki. Suzuki wasnt competitive there as we saw. She couldnt even beat Flatt who had 2 downgrades, despite skating her best in both programs.
    Hey, I'm happy they sent Suzuki. Her LP performance was probably one of the highlights of the entire figure skating portion of the games. Who cares about results when we saw such an inspired performance. Shame they couldn't send both Nakano and Suzuki and left Ando home. Don't forget that Suzuki had a wonderful GP Series going into the games winning Cup of China and a bronze at the Grand Prix Final with a score of 174.00. It's not whether Suzuki could have been more competitive, but if Nakano could have been more competitive. We'll never know for sure and she may have surpassed Suzuki's placements (with her beautiful spins), but there wasn't anything to indicate she would have based on the GP series. What really hurt Nakano was losing to Suzuki at Japanese Nationals.

Maybe Suzuki's Olympic experience was what she needed to now being a spoiler for a medal now (spoiler not favorite). She won the bronze medal at 2012 Worlds, and although she bombed Worlds in 2013, the rest of her season was great and she capped it off by having the highest Ladies score at WTT after Worlds.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Of course Akiko had a great GP in 2010. That's why she got the nod after finishing ahead of Nakano by a mere .17 points. Had she not done well on the GP, she probably would have remained home. I just felt horrible for Nakano who went to three worlds in a row, did the whole GP for four years and missed the Olympics - again. While Akiko didn't have that resume. If Akiko loses to someone who has a late surge in 2013-14, it'll be kinda like karma, and I don't mean that in a mean way. All that said, I'm actually cheering for Akiko to make the team this quad. Four years ago though, my heart broke for Nakano and I resented Akiko.

vCash
    JSF tried really hard to send Nakano to Vancouver, though, not because they liked her but because they were heaviliy criticized for sacrificing her to send Ando to Turin. When Mr. Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach saw the judge panel at 2009 Nationals, he thought she was going to lose. Suzuki should not have won by 0.17, but by at least five points.
    Last edited by mikeko; 10-01-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast