Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash

Anyways, I wish the Sochi team selection will go fairly. Hope JSF doesn't change the rules they've already decided nor makes any special path for anyone.
    Last edited by rosewood; 10-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    Have we seen Akiko or Manako this season yet?

I doubt Miki will be a threat, she is in good shape for someone who has just had a baby, but not for an elite athlete.
    This is elite figure skating, not new mothers skating.

vCash
    I think some people are predicting or see a possibility that Ando will improve significantly come Nationals and that Akiko will bomb.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post

I doubt Miki will be a threat, she is in good shape for someone who has just had a baby, but not for an elite athlete.
    Imagine what it felt like for all those at Nebelhorn that were outperformed by a 6 month postpartum women.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think some people are predicting or see a possibility that Ando will improve significantly come Nationals and that Akiko will bomb.
    Which given Akiko's history isnt that unlikely a prediction sadly. I still think it will be the expected trio at the Games though.

vCash
    I wanted to resurrect this thread.

In light of Murakami's and Suzuki's recent performances, have Ando's chances improved / stayed the same?

vCash
    I could see her overtaking Murakami at Nationals if she pulls it together and Murakami doesn't, but I'm not so sure about her finishing ahead of Suzuki. We'll see, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Yeah it depends how Murakami skates. Murakami would have to struggle while Ando would have to be in tip top shape. Regardless, I think it's clear based on PCS alone that Akiko will not be overtaken by Ando, from what we've seen so far at least.

Mao is the clear No.1, Akiko is the clear No. 2 then there is a large gap between her and Murakami, with Ando sneaking up there with a few other JPN ladies.

vCash
    Well, Murakami might be a little more insecure after her GP outings.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Japan considers Grand Prix results. Akiko has the potential to medal on Sochi, maybe bronze. I don't think Miki would medal, first bc she has not built up the rep w her new program nor has she ever tested it on intl judges. And second, Miki was always a jumper, she did not have that beauty and elegance we see of Akiko, Julia, Carolina.... If there was one of Julia or Yuna to beat, maybe she could beat them, but there are too many who have BOTH the technical content and the PCS. Giving it to Miki would be essentially to allow her to give her swan song at the Olympics, whereas if they send Murakami, or Miyahama, they are looking for the next quad. Akiko and Mao will retire this year, they need a new star

Really, do you send the past star who does not really have a chance of medaling and get the gigantic (and distracting) media publicity of how a women can come back and make the Olympic team a year after a baby (and the media will be all over that story as it is amazing) or do you send someone an try to develop them into the next Mao?
    Last edited by Blondie12; 11-23-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post

Akiko did great on the Grand Prix, she is first alternate for the final and ties with Elena and Carolina for points. I don't see how Japan cannot send her to Sochi.

vCash
    imo JPN has no amazing choice to send as a No.3 in terms of developing a next generation skater.

Satoko Miyahara has AWFUL jump technique and will go the way of Risa Shoji within a season or two unless she overhauls everything about her jumping. Risa had similar poor technique but even hers was not nearly as poor as Satoko's (at least with everything below flip, Risa had a weaker flip and lutz). Now Risa can hardly rotate a single triple.

The top JPN ladies other than the top 3 as we know them don't have star power. Kanako Murakami is the 3rd lady, but she certainly cannot be developed into another Mao, again a result of poor (in a different way) jump technique. She is certainly looking to the best, however. She can put out strong skates though, and is a very pleasant skater. So what do they do? Do they send Kanako or do they send the media story Ando? In terms of scoring Murakami has better potential, and she proved herself at worlds last year.

vCash
    I think Mao and Akiko are locks for Sochi, based on their GP performances. The 3rd spot is wide open. Murakami, Imai, Ando and may be Miyahara can compete for it. Right now I give the edge to Murakami but if Miki skates lights out at the nationals, and Murakami does so so, it will be tough for the JF to deny Miki a spot, but who knows what criteria they are gong to use?

vCash
    Based on the results of this weekend, my prediction for Sochi team goes to Mao, Akiko and Kanako. The only one who has the potential to beat Kanako is Satoko.

vCash
    I think she's a threat to Kanako after seeing the way Kanako skated in the SP at Rostelecom. Akiko is a bit inconsistent so yes, she is a threat to her too. I think the only one who is safe "from" Miki is Mao.

vCash
    Ando just lost by about 16 points to a skater who is only about the 5th or 6th best skater in the US. Not good for a former World champion.

vCash
    Ando scored a total of 150 points at Ice Challenge, which would have placed her 10th at 2013 Japanese Nationals. She might be competitive in some European countries, but certainly not in Japan.

vCash
    At this point I would say she has no hope. Even if the big 3 are broken up (unlikely as Japan considers more than just Nationals results) it wont ever be Miki doing it. I see something from 8th-12th at her final Nationals and a wave goodbye, but brave of her to even try this comeback.

vCash
    No, she's not a threat.

vCash
    Miki is a good competitor.

She completely omitted a jumping pass in the free and missed out on some combos.

She could've easily scored 10 points higher if the last two passes were clean.

I give her lots of credit for going for the Olympics, especially given the other obvious priorities in her life and all the fan/media scrutiny.

She's got tons of experience...don't count her out.
    Last edited by all_empty; 11-24-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast