Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

So who's the 3rd girl for the U.S.?

I like it to be Cesario, but she skates too damn slow.

Gao-- rigid posture and busy arms don't mix.

Agnes-- I'm rooting for her but she needs a miracle to solve her problems mentally.

...Am I leaving anyone out?
    Last edited by ComplimentsFrom; 11-18-2013 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    nm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-18-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Given what we have seen and the disappointments that have plagued many of the veteran skaters, it seems the USFSA would do well to look toward the future in selecting the 3rd spot and give the nod to someone like Polina Edmunds for the experience and exposure if she solidly delivers in Boston. Fans are already stating they should do this in the mens' event by selecting Jason Brown and Joshua Farris and I tend to agree with this line of thought at the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Given what we have seen and the disappointments that have plagued many of the veteran skaters, it seems the USFSA would do well to look toward the future in selecting the 3rd spot and give the nod to someone like Polina Edmunds for the experience and exposure if she solidly delivers in Boston. Fans are already stating they should do this in the mens' event by selecting Jason Brown and Joshua Farris and I tend to agree with this line of thought at the moment.
    Four years ago, they truly sent the two girls who truly did skate the best at nationals and by no nonsense judging the event, the US was rewarded with strong finishes by both women in Vancouver. I hope they reward performances again. And I don't want to see Agnes with a ridiculous lead after the short and able to bomb the long again and still end up third.
    Cesario having three assignments might be a huge boost for her, though. Sasha Cohen had a similar advantage when she missed nationals in 2001 but strangely ended up with two grand prixs, the Goodwill Games and a B international in the 2002 season despite never having been to worlds. I'm seeing a similar pattern with Cesario, not missing nationals, but ending up with three big events under her belt heading into nationals.

vCash
    From what we've seen from Gao, Zawadzki and Nagasu so far, I'm thinking Cesario could grab that third spot. Of course, Alissa is a question mark. There's also Hicks, but Cesario's performed better than her recently, and she's a more well-rounded skater.

vCash
    Gao will get it. I have a feeling unlike past years she will peak at Nationals.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Gao will get it. I have a feeling unlike past years she will peak at Nationals.
    Yeah, regrettably, I believe so too.

I just can't get over her posture when she skates; it makes her arm movements seem that much more exaggerated and repetitive.

vCash
    I would be happy for Gao to get it simply for perseverance and being a solid and consistent U.S skater for so long, who often was undermarked in Nationals past. Her skating does nothing much for me though. Pleasant and nice to watch, but nothing catching. I agree about her arms too.

vCash
    hopefully, Gao

vCash
    I would love it if Gao could get it, but Cesario impressed me at TEB so if she gets in the mix I'd be fine with it. Edmunds I haven't seen much but what I have seen I've liked. And there's always a small part of me that hopes against hope that Mirai would get her crap together and get her under rotation issues fixed.

vCash
    It would certainly be interesting if Edmunds was considered, as "the future" of US skating, but last year at Nationals she got dinged a bit for UR's; and I think she got a bit lucky to be judged liberally on the junior circuit this year. She may find competing as a senior that the UR calls are more harsh/severe. If Wang rises to the occasion, I think she might be a better choice, as she has finished growing and her jumps are huge (If she lands then, which I realize is a big IF.)

vCash
    I fear for Mirai her < issues are too severe at this point, too far into her career, to ever be easily fixed. With concentrated effort they might take 2 full years to completely eradicate, which could be worthwhile if she is planning to continue. I dont see anyway they are resolved in time for her to have a real shot at the team this year though, unless Nationals is a royal stinkfest (even worse than last year). Now if she were say Gracie Gold and had this issue (Gold has no issue with jump quailty or rotation I know, but if she did) it would probably be overlooked by the callers, but she is not in favor with the USFSA that way right now.

vCash
    I am not impressed with Gao so far. Last year she seemed like someone with a lot of potential. I would like it to be either Mirai or Samantha. Agnes has the potential but she never seems to have a decent skate when it matters.

vCash
    Right now there is no second girl either. Gracie has been rather average and can't seem to land any jumps now. It's not a done deal with her going to Sochi. She has proven she can bomb in the past.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Right now there is no second girl either. Gracie has been rather average and can't seem to land any jumps now. It's not a done deal with her going to Sochi. She has proven she can bomb in the past.
    Believe me, if Gracie totally bombed, she will be no lower than third place.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Who knows at this point?

Mirai goes from doing a PERFECT 3flip-3toe and PERFECT 3lutzes and 3loops IN FRONT OF JUDGES AND A CROWD one minute to barely rotating a 2flip and falling in the competition when the music is on. She is a headcase.

Alyssa: Injured. Headcase.

Zhang: Shut the front door if you think SHE has a chance. SorryBoutIT.

Agnes: Can't be sent to the Olympics, as she has never skated a clean Free Skate in competition and rarely in practices with all the content. She is a SP skater. She can't complete a full Senior Free Skate without errors. Shut the front door if you think SHE has a chance.

Wang and the other girls coming up from Junior have no chance to be named to the team unless USFS has no other choice.

That leaves Gao and Cesario.........

Interesting! Christina has been given many international competitions over the years and the USFS KNOWS what they will have if they choose her.... a top 10 finish, but no better. With Cesario, the USFS does NOT know how she will be received in Senior International competition, so they have given her a bunch of invites for her to prove herself.

Soooooo, I think that the 3rd spot will be up to who skates the best Nationals Competition - Nagasu, Gao or Cesario.
    Last edited by PairSk8Fan; 11-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    You know why Gao doesn't get good PCS scores in a long program? - Because it's hard to get over those repetitive arm movements in a 4-min stretch.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I'm not basing this on anything really, but I have a gut feeling it's gonna be Nagasu

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Based on the skating we've seen so far this year, Cesario, Edmonds or Hicks all have the potential to be the third lady.

Agnes, Christina and Mirai would have to make some major adjustments after the GP series if they want to be seriously considered.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    If Gao and Cesario fail at nationals, I'd be fine with Edmunds or Wang. They are the future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast