Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I went to the American Cup and enjoyed it in person - I went home and watched the DVRed broadcast, and yeah, it was a lot more lackluster than it was in person. Sam Mikulak's air flares on floor were my favorite skill all day, and yeah, he and Fabian were cute together between events. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I really like Brenna's bar routine, although it could stand to be cleaned up. The women's competition was never close but the men's was a nailbiter until Nonomura fell on the last rotation.

The biggest disappointment to me was that the crowd - while huge in number - didn't care much about the actual gymnastics being performed. The biggest cheers all day, by FAR, were for the T-shirt cannons between rotations. I got pretty irritated during the last rotation because the huge contingent of preteen girls was getting bored and were dancing along to floor music in the aisles, blocking people's view of the floor. Sort of sad that the actual competition seemed like an afterthought to most of the audience.

vCash
    Gymnastics is dead. Even I'm bored of it and I was once a stark raving fan of the highest degree.

vCash
    I still don't think this year will be as bad as 2006 as long as we get Komova, Mustafina, Iordache, and some Chinese hit routines. Also we have yet to see Sarah Finnegan and Kyla Ross might upgrade from a cartwheel to a round-off at some point. There is still some fun and pretty, we just got off to a really big meh to begin the year.

But yeah. You are so right.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    What a beautiful double layout from Ellie Black : http://youtu.be/lhir5IG_wU8 (just ignore the last pass....)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    What a beautiful double layout from Ellie Black : http://youtu.be/lhir5IG_wU8 (just ignore the last pass....)
    Agreed. Love the new routine too - much like her last routine, it is clear that a lot of thought and work goes into the choreography.

Speaking of thought going into choreography, I was happy to hear Nastia recognize Victoria Moors's floor routine as her favorite during the American Cup broadcast (and that NBC didn't chack Moors on floor).

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Any Korean speakers want to translate this North Korean WAG documentary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obnzUJAWthg

And speaking of Moors on floor, Isabela Onyshko has the same music which could be interesting if they both make worlds this year, which is very possible.

vCash
    That's a nice routine from Ellie good variety in the tumbling, and the choreography/music is also a step up from before. I'll never tire of the 2nd pass, by the end of the year I'd imagine the triple will be back and her timing on the last pass won't be so scary (I'm surprised she got the punch she did on that double back, I winced just like the videographer did on that punch 1/1 step-out). If the routine had a double front last pass instead of the double back it's basically my ideal 3 tumbling pass routine (as far as variety is concerned, execution is solid too but only wows me on the 1st pass).

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I had noticed that she change her name on Twitter the other day. Congratulations to them!

vCash
    seems FS music is interchangeable and are used mostly too in rhythmic gymnastics

Grishuk/Platov, Yagudin and co. have used: music from Memorial
    Mamun Ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O9uQVL6RTY

Polina Korobeynikova's SP ?
    Titova Ribbon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQk1DHzKiE

vCash
    Just found this gymnastics thread, awesome I'm hoping Simone recovers well from her injury, as I think she's the absolute best gymnast the US has. Her floor and vault are incredible, she's got a very strong beam, and although bars aren't her strongest, they're not a glaring weakness and she can put up decent numbers on it.

vCash
    Price looking good to dominate 2014. So excited.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slipchuk View Post
    Price looking good to dominate 2014. So excited.
    What about? Biles is injured, Maroney is on crutches again and who knows what is going on in Russia. When was WAG ever this dire or predictable? Thank goodness MAG is more interesting!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I didn't realize Maroney was on crutches again. Any news on that?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Per her twitter, she had another surgery. Sounds like her knee was bugging her. She didn't say exactly what it was.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Poor Maroney and her string of injuries...if it's not her back it's her foot, if it's not her foot it's her leg, if it's not her leg it's her knee. Throw in a concussion and broken nose and that's just listing all the injuries she's dealt in the last TWO YEARS.

I wonder if Maroney would be wise to just sit out the rest of the year, recover and work on upgrading her routines. As is, she's not going to repeat as champion on vault if Biles is healthy...Simone has upgraded enough to overcome the E score deficit. If Maroney is thinking long term, she's got to stop getting injured and work on harder vaults, because that's the only thing that is going to beat Biles at this point.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I wonder if Maroney would be wise to just sit out the rest of the year, recover and work on upgrading her routines. As is, she's not going to repeat as champion on vault if Biles is healthy...Simone has upgraded enough to overcome the E score deficit. If Maroney is thinking long term, she's got to stop getting injured and work on harder vaults, because that's the only thing that is going to beat Biles at this point.
    That is assuming Biles can hit her upgraded vault. Also, isn't Biles currently injured herself? If so, those upgrades may start to disappear. When she comes back she may not have time to get back all the difficulty she had plus the new upgrades and maybe the vault upgrade will go. Maroney wouldn't be hurt by waiting a year but I think she knows how precarious her spot is on the team. Even last year people were going crazy saying she had no reason to be on the team since Biles could win the vault gold. Maroney needs to stick with the sport and stay in shape because she needs to show Marta she can compete AA and be used on any event when needed and specifically she needs to keep herself vital to the team on more than just vault, so for her that means FX. She may feel like if she takes too long of a break that she won't be able to get back into the same competitive form other than on vault which clearly comes very naturally for her. If she isn't usable on the other events then her gold caliber vaults may not matter.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Well, Maroney has always had a tough row to hoe because she really does only stand out on one event and is only decent on the others. Her situation has pretty much been the same since 2012 and has only gotten worse since the vault rule change that meant more good AA'ers were doing two vaults (ala Biles and the new crop of juniors). Not being strong on all events has ALWAYS been Maroney's problem. So nothing new there.

I thought she made strides in the right direction yesterday (working on her floor and getting better on bars and beam) but she obviously still has work to do. Her other events are important but if she can't beat Biles on vault there's no point because I don't see how she could make her other events make up for that.

vCash
    I don't think Simone was seriously injured. I read that she was recently at a camp that required full routines. Her pulling out of the American Cup was probably a precautionary thing.

vCash
    I think Rachel Gowey is my new find, there is something about her gymnastics that absolutely blows me away and I love the look of everything that she does. I had a similar feeling/reaction when I first started paying attention to Maroney back in 2010. This girl does beautiful gymnastics and she could turn into an excellent all-around gymnast over the next couple years - she has gorgeous body lines and feet that remind me of Komova, excellent flexibility, real balance beam choreography, she also does two layout step outs on balance beam, and she's using Irina Baraksanova's (or Sasha Cohen's 02 SP music since we're at FSU) music on FX. She's lovely, she's got the look, she's coached by Chow, she can do a 3 1/2 twist on floor and the 1/1 Shaposhnikova on UB, I'm so thankful the US has a gymnast like her!! Can't find any vids of the recent Jesolo meet, but she was lovely other than some mistakes (ironically worst event was BB). There are many videos of the Jesolo meet here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyLucas250/videos

Kyla won, Peyton Ernst 2nd, Skinner 3rd. A big huge yawn except a couple routines and seeing how the crop has progressed, Madison Kocian won UB today with a 15.033 over Kyla Ross with a watered down 14.967, Skinner has improved and could be an alternate on the World team this year (not team member material yet IMO! But improved and less offensive with the form). Uneven bars is on the upswing for the US, this is looking to be a decent potential UB lineup for this year if Kocian were to make the team.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast